Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 30

Author Topic: Jack's Simple BYOR: Game over! Town win!  (Read 53375 times)

PTDfun

• Bay Watcher
  • Blob...
    • View Profile
Re: Jack's Simple BYOR [12/12]: Day 1 - Contrived Power Explanation
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2014, 01:29:40 pm »

4maskwolf:
PTDfun: how do you believe this game will differ from the BM's you have played in?
Well, I have played in only one BM. A expect these differences:
1) I'm not a replacement. I don't have to spend time catching up to the other players, I don't have to answer for the actions of another player, and I get to start the game with a neutral view of all of the players.
2) In the BM game town lost largely due to inactivity. I expect the players to be more active in this game. Consequently, we will have more information to kill off the mafia and any other competing factions.
3) The BYOR dynamic. I haven't ever played this before and I don't know what to expect with regard to player roles.
4) I am going to try to learn from my experience of the lynches of last game. In particular, when I joined the BM I expected this game to be more rational than it is.

Why did you target new players for your questions?

flabort:
Everyone else If you had a night 0 inspection result, and it told you who a scum was, would you reveal right away?
No. That information would help me to interpret the actions of that player. It would help in the process of locating other scum and townies. If I were to reveal it early I would waste the power of that ability. The best case scenario with an early reveal is a day 1 lynch of a scum player and someone keeping the revealer safe from a night kill. The best case scenario with holding that information to gain its passive benefits until needed. If I had the information and it looked like I was close to getting lynched, then I would post the information along with my reads so that my death would give the post credibility and town would benefit.

Have you every lied to town while playing as a townie? If so, what were the circumstances. If not, why not?

Toaster:
Varee, PTDFun, and EPenguin:  I haven't played with you folks before.  Have you read any previous games from this board?
I played in the last BM. I've played about 10 games in RL. I am reading up on things at the mafiascum.net wiki, but I am new to this medium. I've been meaning to read a few of the notable games (from the archive), but I haven't done it yet.

Can you think of any distinctive aspects of mafia on this forum?

TolyK:
I have a feeling this will be a hard game for me... :D
Why?

I've tended to be Mafia though, and I tend to get lynched regardless the second or third day.
Why do you mention that you have tended to be mafia (since that has no bearing on the probability that you are now)?
Do you think there is any discernible pattern as to why you tend to get lynched on the 2nd or 3rd day?

Everyone else If you had a night 0 inspection result, and it told you who a scum was, would you reveal right away?
No, because:
a) that would be damn unfair if it was 100% sane
b) it would be pretty damn powerful, which would mean that it probably wouldn't be 100% sane*, or there would be repercussions* to naming roles early.

*either the cop isn't 100% sane, or there are millers and godfathers or the like
**such as third parties or mafia having vote-switching powers
Reason (b) makes sense, but (a) doesn't. Aren't we supposed to play to win?

Hapah: Do you expect there to be non-town, non-mafia factions in this game?
Wand of Not Touching - The target thinks they have been poked. Range of one cm.
I want one of these.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2014, 01:36:07 pm »

Yes, I have tried lying to town as a town strategy (I said I was a seer(cop) when I was vanilla, just in order to get my suspect lynched). The results were that I got lynched, and the game went into 5 man LYLO the next day. And due to my previous lie, which was too late to take back, town acted upon my lie as if it were truth; luck would have it that it happened to hit a wolf (scum), so town survived, but it was close. the wolves (scum) won anyways, though.
So after that, I have never lied to town as town again.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2014, 01:53:07 pm »

TolyK:
Why?
It's a secret. :D

Quote from: PTDfun
I've tended to be Mafia though, and I tend to get lynched regardless the second or third day.
Why do you mention that you have tended to be mafia (since that has no bearing on the probability that you are now)?
Do you think there is any discernible pattern as to why you tend to get lynched on the 2nd or 3rd day?
1: It doesn't, agreed. I mentioned it because it has relation to my previous experience.
2: Yes, it's probably because I end up answering walls of questions and not getting anything done.
THIS IS NOT AN EXCUSE FOR ME NOT TO SCUMHUNT.

(Oh, and this gets me scummified as well. I really should stop.)

Quote from: PTDfun
No, because:
a) that would be damn unfair if it was 100% sane
b) it would be pretty damn powerful, which would mean that it probably wouldn't be 100% sane*, or there would be repercussions* to naming roles early.

*either the cop isn't 100% sane, or there are millers and godfathers or the like
**such as third parties or mafia having vote-switching powers
Reason (b) makes sense, but (a) doesn't. Aren't we supposed to play to win?
I mean that it would be very unlikely for that to actually happen, without others being overpowered. Otherwise it basically kicks one player out of the game at the beginning, which would be poor game design.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

EPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2014, 03:58:30 pm »

@4Maskwolf:
My brother recently started playing mafia here, so I decided to hop back into mafia, and play with him. That would be PTDfun.

I wouldn't reveal right away, but I would probably reveal before the end of the 1st day. I would want to use that knowledge to analyze that player's interactions and root out possible scumbuddies first. If I could get that guy lynched without revealing myself as a cop, that would be fantastic. If not, I could still probably redirect the usual day 1 mislynch to a scumlynch by claiming.

I have a question for you flabort. Why ask that question? You're asking about cop strategy, but I don't in any way see how that would have anything to do with the game. Like, is someone scummy for stating a strategy that is subpar, or that you disagree with? I'm not trying to get on your case, but I don't see the point of the question.

EPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2014, 04:24:28 pm »

Quote from: TolyK
EPenguin, how would you rate our playstyle? Not on a scale of 1 to 10, I mean several adjectives.
Its more fastpaced than I'm used to. (I'm used to 1-2 week days). I'm also accustomed to spammy, joke laden RVS's. But you guys seem to prefer a random question stage. I don't mind at all though, it cuts to the serious phase of the game quicker, (which is necessary given the timeframe.)

Varee, PTDFun, and EPenguin:  I haven't played with you folks before.  Have you read any previous games from this board?
Not really. I skimmed a bit of the Vampires Coven Basic.

Yes, I have tried lying to town as a town strategy (I said I was a seer(cop) when I was vanilla, just in order to get my suspect lynched). The results were that I got lynched, and the game went into 5 man LYLO the next day. And due to my previous lie, which was too late to take back, town acted upon my lie as if it were truth; luck would have it that it happened to hit a wolf (scum), so town survived, but it was close. the wolves (scum) won anyways, though.
I played in a game where a player did pretty much that same thing. It was obnoxious, as I was scum and he got me, along with one or two of my buddies lynched this way.

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2014, 04:38:06 pm »

flabort:
MOWE What kind of behavior can we expect from most of the players here? What can we expect from you?
Judging by past experience, from 4mask we can expect him to really get into the game after RVS is over. He's the only person here I've played multiple games with and really know of the players here. We have some new players so I expect some mistakes that some may count as scumtells. What can you expect from me? Not to ask RVS questions because I haven't really asked them since my first BM and have done quite well without them. Most of my decisions will involve my gut in some way. I'm not a very aggressive player and tend to not pressure vote someone.

Why are you asking me this? What are you hoping to gain by my opinions on the other players? Wouldn't you get a better explanation on me by asking someone else?

TolyK:
MOWE, if you had a roleblock and you were pretty suspicious of someone, or if you had a protect and were pretty sure someone would be targeted, which would you choose?
I'd probably choose to protect the person if I were reasonably sure they were town and would be targeted. For example, if they were active and led a lynch on scum.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2014, 05:31:17 pm »

Why did you target new players for your questions?
Because I want to get a feel for the playstyles of people who I haven't seen much of. I've played with you once before, but I replaced in with one day left in the day and no extensions left and voted you, who I thought was town, in order to prevent myself, also town, from being lynched.

MOWE: In your own opinion, where does the distinction lie between a newb-tell and a scumtell?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2014, 05:50:12 pm »

Why are you asking me this? What are you hoping to gain by my opinions on the other players? Wouldn't you get a better explanation on me by asking someone else?
1) To gauge your level of experience better. I've only seen you replace in before, unless you were in at the start of Orbfalls, so I haven't seen you from the start before.
2) To see if I can get a good idea of each player's meta, if you have a good grasp of each player, to find out what I can.
3) Maybe. Maybe not. I could have asked Ottofar, Jiokuy, or Persus, but I was asking them other questions, and who knows you better than yourself?

When you say some mistakes the newer players might make "count as scumtells", what kinds of mistakes are you expecting from them? How do you do well without RQS questions, and is this related to the fact that you tend to be a replacement?

Toaster, TolyK, Varee, PTDfun, EPenguin Those are some very different answers to one question. If each of you had a daykill to use day 1 only, would you use it? Who would you use it on?
The Cyan Menace

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2014, 06:11:38 pm »

Toaster, TolyK, Varee, PTDfun, EPenguin Those are some very different answers to one question. If each of you had a daykill to use day 1 only, would you use it? Who would you use it on?

Most likely i wont use the kill, it feel like a jerk to remove someone. And even if it will really benefit me, still i probably wont use it. I kinda know how it feel like to get insatkill even before first night and it is not a good feeling

Also sorry about the edit and any gramma mistake i made or will be making in the future.....

Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2014, 06:24:32 pm »

4maskwolf:
MOWE: In your own opinion, where does the distinction lie between a newb-tell and a scumtell?
I don't think there is a line. When a new player does something scummy, it could be because they're scum, but it could also be because they're new. New players make a lot of mistakes, town or scum.

flabort:
1) To gauge your level of experience better. I've only seen you replace in before, unless you were in at the start of Orbfalls, so I haven't seen you from the start before.
2) To see if I can get a good idea of each player's meta, if you have a good grasp of each player, to find out what I can.
3) Maybe. Maybe not. I could have asked Ottofar, Jiokuy, or Persus, but I was asking them other questions, and who knows you better than yourself?

When you say some mistakes the newer players might make "count as scumtells", what kinds of mistakes are you expecting from them? How do you do well without RQS questions, and is this related to the fact that you tend to be a replacement?
1, 2 and 3: Fair enough.

They might crack under pressure, bandwagon, buddying, trying to hard to seem town, etc. All of which could count as scummy, but doesn't necessarily mean they're scum. They could just overlook something most people see as scummy.

I do well without the random questions because I can't seem to find good questions to ask. So I let others ask the questions and if any relevant questions pop in my head, I ask them. I do well because I just sit back and watch others carefully and build a case from how people interact with each other. Also, I'm a very quiet person IRL. This is what I'm more comfortable with and it's what works for me.

Also, out of the ~9 games I've been in, I've only replaced into one.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2014, 06:30:23 pm »

Flabort:
Persus What kinds of powers can we most expect? Can we expect a pattern?

I've never actually played a BYOR before, and have skimmed maybe one or two. So I have no clue. Speculating about closed setups is bad, especially if you assume too many things. Asking this question to Toaster, TolyK, or Ottofar would be a better idea.

Of course I'd reveal. I'd wait a little to see people's interactions, but I'd reveal eventually.

Oh, OK, sorry for confusing that.
Out of these players, probably a Persus Hapah teamup would be the scariest. From what I know of the players, of course.
Hmm, I would have gone with something completely different.

You going to use your spreadsheet this game? I would recommend tweaking it through adding base values for players to account for meta, and having some way to account for lurking.

Toaster:
TolyK:

Why?  Is it because...

Toaster, do you remember why you're one of the most dangerous scum? :P A more serious question (still answer the last one, though) is, if you were a Mafia-Ally, would you try to somehow tell (or hint to) them that you're an Ally, or that an Ally exists?

...you are a Mafia-Ally?
That was quick. Why are you attacking right of the bat?

Persus:  Would you rather be on a larger scum team with weaker powers or a smaller scum team with stronger powers?
larger scum team. Smaller scum team means more pressure not to screw up and you have fewer people to possibly confide in. Makes the game less stressful knowing that you can win from the grave.

Varee

to be frank no ....
I recommend you check out at least one game to see how we play things here.

Everyone Else any insight on you guys power? My power is pretty sneaky
For instance, we tend to not like people who rolefish, because claiming early helps Mafia more than town.

Also sorry about the edit and any gramma mistake i made or will be making in the future.....
I recommend reading over your posts using the preview button before posting them. It can really help.

4maskwolf:
Persus: if you got to pick an ideal scum team for this game, who would you pick? Why would you pick them?
Toaster, as he's one of the most experienced players I know
Flabort, I saw manage to win Jack's NSBM as scum, although admittedly he wasn't facing the best competition.
You or MOWE, as you both seem competent and I've played with you before.

I'd like you to answer this question yourself.

PTDfun: I liked the answers you gave to people, but ask more then 1 question. Have you read a BYOR before?

TolyK: What's the last game you played.

Hapah, Jiokuy: You two are old players who haven't played in a while, correct (discounting Supernatural 6)?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2014, 06:35:42 pm »

Well which one of the game i should read?
And forgive me for role fishing, i just wanna know what kind of article people pick
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2014, 06:36:47 pm »

4maskwolf:
Persus: if you got to pick an ideal scum team for this game, who would you pick? Why would you pick them?
I'd like you to answer this question yourself.
I'd pick you, Toaster, and myself. Toaster, because he's a veteran who knows the game well. You, because you are a pretty good player. And myself, because I like to play scum.

Also, urk, it's so hard to edit quotes on an iPhone...

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2014, 07:04:03 pm »

I do well without the random questions because I can't seem to find good questions to ask. So I let others ask the questions and if any relevant questions pop in my head, I ask them. I do well because I just sit back and watch others carefully and build a case from how people interact with each other. Also, I'm a very quiet person IRL. This is what I'm more comfortable with and it's what works for me.

Also, out of the ~9 games I've been in, I've only replaced into one.
I'm a quite person IRL too, but I see the internet as a place to break out of my shell and be crazy (relatively). Otherwise, fair enough. Unvote

Hmm. You replaced into MMM, I thought you replaced into NSBM, I guess you started in GBoO instead of replacing in, and you were about to replace into Super7 if Hapah hadn't got in first. I guess that's why I thought you had.

Flabort:
Persus What kinds of powers can we most expect? Can we expect a pattern?

I've never actually played a BYOR before, and have skimmed maybe one or two. So I have no clue. Speculating about closed setups is bad, especially if you assume too many things. Asking this question to Toaster, TolyK, or Ottofar would be a better idea.

Of course I'd reveal. I'd wait a little to see people's interactions, but I'd reveal eventually.

Oh, OK, sorry for confusing that.
Out of these players, probably a Persus Hapah teamup would be the scariest. From what I know of the players, of course.
Hmm, I would have gone with something completely different.

You going to use your spreadsheet this game? I would recommend tweaking it through adding base values for players to account for meta, and having some way to account for lurking.

Flabort, I saw manage to win Jack's NSBM as scum, although admittedly he wasn't facing the best competition.
OK, just checking. I don't think I'll ask them, the point of the question wasn't actually the speculation, it was to test your reaction.

Why would you have gone with a different team? I think a Persus Hapah team up is one that nobody would ever expect until it's down to 5 man LYLO, and even then they'd only get one of you due to luck. I don't actually know that much about Hapah, though.

I might use the sheet after I adjust it some more. I'll have to completely scrap and rework the pivot tables, and account for more variables; I don't really believe that accounting for Meta will help the sheet any, because everyone starts with a blank sheet each game, right? But no, I won't use the sheet this game. At least, not under it's current form.

Also, urk, it's so hard to edit quotes on an iPhone...

I'd imagine.
Try to edit quotes from a 3DS. I'm not using it right now, but that's difficult. It gets worse if you want to insert a quote, too.
The Cyan Menace

PTDfun

• Bay Watcher
  • Blob...
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2014, 08:22:48 pm »

EPenguin:
I played in a game where a player did pretty much that same thing. It was obnoxious, as I was scum and he got me, along with one or two of my buddies lynched this way.
Would you ever try something similar?

MyOwnWorstEnemy:
Most of my decisions will involve my gut in some way.
How accurate would you say your gut is?

flabort:
In a standard mafia game with 12 players (three mafia), I would not use it. If town mislynched every turn, then the default setup would hit MYLO on turn 3. If I used the day 1 kill and missed, then that would become LYLO instead. In this game, it would depend on how confident I am about my read on a player. If so, I would use it on a player who looked overly towny. At this moment, I do not have a particular player in mind.

How would you answer both of the role questions you've posed?

Varee:

Most likely i wont use the kill, it feel like a jerk to remove someone. And even if it will really benefit me, still i probably wont use it. I kinda know how it feel like to get insatkill even before first night and it is not a good feeling

Please play to win. Don't worry about our feelings (I'm not suggesting rudeness either). It's not fair to the rest of the town to fail to kill someone because you want to let them play.

Persus13:
PTDfun: I liked the answers you gave to people, but ask more then 1 question. Have you read a BYOR before?
1) In post #75 I asked 8 questions.
2) I have not read a BYOR before. It seems I should. Would you suggest one for me?
Wand of Not Touching - The target thinks they have been poked. Range of one cm.
I want one of these.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 30