Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 34

Author Topic: Illion : Mech RPG: 6/5 Players  (Read 29426 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Illion : Mech RPG: 6/5 Players
« Reply #330 on: June 11, 2014, 10:04:15 am »

I don't mind people interjecting as a sort of Mission Control/ Off site commentary, as long as it doesn't get excessive.
Yeah, pretty much.

I'll be honest, I am slightly unsure of what I supposed to be doing. We're trying to dcapture the ship, right?
In which case, we'd want to wipe out the crew and possibly destroy the bridge.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 11, 2014, 10:40:50 am »

I don't mind people interjecting as a sort of Mission Control/ Off site commentary, as long as it doesn't get excessive.
Yeah, pretty much.

I'll be honest, I am slightly unsure of what I supposed to be doing. We're trying to dcapture the ship, right?
In which case, we'd want to wipe out the crew and possibly destroy the bridge.
Sorry for being so unclear. The ship is 4 kilometer long, has a crew numbering in the thousands, in is largely inaccessible to your mechs.

You can try to capture it, but you would die. Currently the plan is to destroy enough stuff to prevent them from tipping the scales in the war below. This can be supplies, or the shuttles, preventing them from deploying said supplies.

On a side note, I now realize that it's a bit silly to have inertial artificial gravity in the hanger bay of ship made by a civilization which clearly possesses artificial gravity systems, but anyway.
Maybe inertial gravity is cheaper on large-scale things?
Nah, the logical flaw is: Why would you want to have gravity in a hanger bay? Things are so much easier to move around in zero gravity. Also, docking a ship to a ship whose hull is spinning around isn't easy. To make it worse, ships docked inside the vessel are moving at a different speed than the hull, where the airlock is located.

...though you realize that technically the cargo is standing still, and you're moving.
ebbor, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Yeah, sorry. Everything is relative.
Are all the listed mechs manned?
You can't even see their weaponry (if any) or identify their type, making it quite hard to know whether they're manned or not. Utilizing UGV mechs for these kind of duties wouldn't be exceptional though.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 10:53:34 am by 10ebbor10 »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 11, 2014, 10:43:41 am »

Nope, just stop them from landing reinforcements for Earther troops. Also, the ship is apparently a modular/pods-on-a-stick design, considering that we were informed that we couldn't just bust through bulkheads to get to other parts of the ship because the different sections are connected by smaller corridors.

Also, theoretically I at least could get back planetside if the ship is low enough in orbit that if the cargo section were, ehe, shot free, it'd enter the atmosphere. Could ride the thing down and then break out once it's low enough to transform into jet form and fly off. Of course I won't do that as long as the rest of the team is alive.  :P

--

Wait, who's seen the 2*Unidentified Support Mech, and where are they?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 11, 2014, 10:46:09 am »

You can't even see their weaponry (if any) or identify their type, making it quite hard to know whether they're manned or not. Utilizing UGV mechs for these kind of duties wouldn't be exceptional though.
Let me rephrase that.
Are they active?

Could ride the thing down and then break out once it's low enough to transform into jet form and fly off.
Somehow, I doubt the ship is capable of surviving re-entry.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 11, 2014, 11:05:35 am »

Nope, just stop them from landing reinforcements for Earther troops. Also, the ship is apparently a modular/pods-on-a-stick design, considering that we were informed that we couldn't just bust through bulkheads to get to other parts of the ship because the different sections are connected by smaller corridors.
Indeed, the ship is not one large vessel. That's also why it's not all that big for it's 4 km size.

Also, theoretically I at least could get back planetside if the ship is low enough in orbit that if the cargo section were, ehe, shot free, it'd enter the atmosphere. Could ride the thing down and then break out once it's low enough to transform into jet form and fly off. Of course I won't do that as long as the rest of the team is alive.  :P
I'd roll for that, actually. Which implies no guarantee for survival, but providing you find an adequate cargo vessel...

--
Wait, who's seen the 2*Unidentified Support Mech, and where are they?
Correlation?
((*notes his mech still lacks health*))
((*notes his sensors are apparently broken or offline for some reason*))

Let me rephrase that.
Are they active?
They're moving.

Could ride the thing down and then break out once it's low enough to transform into jet form and fly off.
It doesn't. The question, does it survive long enough?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 11, 2014, 11:10:29 am »

I wonder if I could drop a fair distance if I drained my jump jets, full on drop pod style. Probably not from full orbit, but my mechs a pretty tough thing.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 11, 2014, 11:18:27 am »

This is the enemy list you gave:
4*Unidentified light Mech on the spindle.   Distance: 300-700 meters.  Note: High speed movement due to different rotation speed between spindle and inner surface makes aiming near impossible.
2*Unidentified Support Mech
1*Unidentified Huge Support Mech

Those didn't show up on any of our sensors, unless they're supposed to be the ACLs that we could get back planetside on if all the shuttles are fucked. :?

It doesn't. The question, does it survive long enough?
This. As long as the hull can last long enough to take most of the thermal damage from re-entry, anyone with an aircraft transformation (and maybe jumpjets/anti-grav; after all, Battletech mechs do suborbital drops and land with their jumpjets) can make it to the ground without cratering.

3. Run Resize Enable

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 11, 2014, 11:25:27 am »

I wonder if I could drop a fair distance if I drained my jump jets, full on drop pod style. Probably not from full orbit, but my mechs a pretty tough thing.
The terminal velocity of a mech is quite low, but not low enough that you can do a safe landing. An unsafe landing, perhaps.

Then again, that requires you to reach terminal velocity without burning to a crisp.

This is the enemy list you gave:
4*Unidentified light Mech on the spindle.   Distance: 300-700 meters.  Note: High speed movement due to different rotation speed between spindle and inner surface makes aiming near impossible.
2*Unidentified Support Mech
1*Unidentified Huge Support Mech

Those didn't show up on any of our sensors, unless they're supposed to be the ACLs that we could get back planetside on if all the shuttles are fucked. :?
I meant that those 2 mechs were supposed to be the ones Kevak spotted. Rolls first, fluff later.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 11, 2014, 11:27:13 am »

Straight down, there's not a lot of heat generated. It's how that guy did the orbital parachute jump without burning up.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 11, 2014, 11:34:18 am »

He didn't do an orbital parachute jump. Space starts a 100 km, Felix Baumgartner jumped from a mere 39 km. The burning up part happens at velocities he never reached. (Low Earth Orbit velocity is 7.8 km/s)

Also, you don't fall straight down. You're in an orbit, and you retain said velocity unless you find a way to get rid of it.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 11, 2014, 11:36:51 am »

SO I stand corrected. I thought he was out of the atmosphere. Huh. The atmosphere is bigger than I thought.

And yeah, I wouldn't be fallign straight down.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 11, 2014, 11:46:01 am »

It's a typical media trick. You give the edge of space in meters, then state the altitude from where people are jumping in feet. That makes it seems like you start in space.

And anyway, the atmosphere goes much farther than 100 km*.  Depending on your definition of atmosphere, it could extent as far up as 10 000 km. The 100 km limit (the Karman line) is the altitude at which the speed a typical airplane requires to maintain enough lift would be equal to it's orbital velocity.

Of course, this is largely guesswork as theoretically one could build an ultra, ultra light airplane with ridiculously big wings and fly into the exosphere.**

*Actually, the US airforce has placed their limit at 80 km, just so they'd have a couple of extra people with astronaut wings.
**Well not really. In large parts of the exosphere the air pressure can best be described as molecules encountered per year.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 11, 2014, 11:51:32 am »

Edit: Wut.

I wanted to add Kevak's missing report, but I went over the character limit?

The sensor system picks up 2 mechs amidst the evacuation civilians. They seem to be preparing some cargo for immediate loading. Must be important, if they're willing to prioritize that over the evacuation.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 11, 2014, 12:16:00 pm »

Can we assume that we're sharing sensor data, or do we need to relay it each time?

3. Run Resize Enable

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 11, 2014, 12:24:37 pm »

You can assume it yes.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 34