Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Plump Helmet Appreciation  (Read 4475 times)

condonzack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Plump Helmet Appreciation
« on: June 04, 2014, 01:00:59 pm »

After browsing around the future of the fortress thread for a while I noticed a certain worry. With the planned changes to crops some people think that all of the games fake crops will eventually be replaced with more interesting real world or procedurally generated ones.

Including the plump helmet.

Now I don't believe that there will ever be a version of DF without that most delectable of fungi. But I do think that those of us who truly love the Helmet should be heard! Here I call to you to share your love of that most humble yet incredible crop.

The plump helmet is simply irreplaceable. It serves a vital role in dwarf society that is both impossible in real life and too important to leave to chance. It is THE staple crop! In the real world there are no plants or fungi suitable for a dwarf staple crop. Plants need sun, and fungus lack the sugar to be brewed. Thus the vital role of a fictional staple. While the other underground crops are rather bland the helmet has captured the attention of the player base.

Consider the role the humble helmet must have had in the birth of dwarf agriculture. If Plump Helmet people were more numerous during that time it may have constituted the entire dwarf diet! Both hunters and gatherers would fill stout bellies with the succulent mushroom.

To those who scoff and dismiss this incredible crop, consider this. When have you made a fortress without them?

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Plump Helmet Appreciation
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 01:11:38 pm »

Personally I think Toady only meant the aboveground plants with that answer (since that's what the question asked about as well) and plump helmets are at no risk whatsoever of disappearing, but I'll gladly throw in my support for the plump helmets nonetheless ^^

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 01:33:18 pm »

I am actually against any of the current crops being totally phased out and it would be nice for a few of the current plants to be staples.

However, if random crops are going to be a thing in the future I think that they should be generated name first with all the current names being possible and when it hits one of the current ones it then breaks out of the random generation and straight up pulls the current definitions of them. That way anyone who has been playing long enough just sort of gets an Easter egg.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 01:36:53 pm »

Plump helmets are, to me at least, the second most iconic thing of the game after the dwarves themselves (and maybe magma).
Good thing it's staying here by the looks of it though. ^^

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 01:43:55 pm »

Not phased out, but they need to grow a lot more slowly and probably require nutrients. Farms are kind of a joke right now. A plot the size of my living room feeding like 150 dwarves with no light or water...
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 02:33:25 pm »

Not phased out, but they need to grow a lot more slowly and probably require nutrients. Farms are kind of a joke right now. A plot the size of my living room feeding like 150 dwarves with no light or water...
Yeah, we demand realistic dwarves!  ::)
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 02:38:46 pm »

My point is that if the mechanics are too insanely easy, it defeats the purpose of the feature at all. 2 minutes of effort and a tiny forgotten corner of your fort, and your dwarves are now fed forever, so why did they need to be fed at all?

Relevant to the spirit of this thread, I think that if it were significantly harder to feed dwarves, we'd all have EVEN MORE appreciation of the plump helmet (it could/should still be the easiest form of food in relative terms to other crops), because it would feel like it was actually a crucial item saving you from a significant need/threat, rather than just being backgroudn clutter.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 02:53:38 pm »

My point is that if the mechanics are too insanely easy, it defeats the purpose of the feature at all. 2 minutes of effort and a tiny forgotten corner of your fort, and your dwarves are now fed forever, so why did they need to be fed at all?

Relevant to the spirit of this thread, I think that if it were significantly harder to feed dwarves, we'd all have EVEN MORE appreciation of the plump helmet (it could/should still be the easiest form of food in relative terms to other crops), because it would feel like it was actually a crucial item saving you from a significant need/threat, rather than just being background clutter.

You can already edit the raws to have plants grow in seasonally/yearly manner. I'd imagine most people like the farming that currently exists precisely because it requires like 2 minutes of effort and planning. But I do agree completely with the notion that farming in general needs an overhaul, at least for those of us who want the added hassle FUN.

OT: Plump helmets definitely need to stay, but I wouldn't shed a tear if cave wheat or rock nuts get phased out.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 03:00:27 pm »

I am actually against any of the current crops being totally phased out and it would be nice for a few of the current plants to be staples.

However, if random crops are going to be a thing in the future I think that they should be generated name first with all the current names being possible and when it hits one of the current ones it then breaks out of the random generation and straight up pulls the current definitions of them. That way anyone who has been playing long enough just sort of gets an Easter egg.

A nice idea, though there isn't really all that much to pull out. There's the name and in some cases a unique name for the booze made, the display color and a descriptive prefstring, which I doubt most people notice since it only appears in dwarven preferences. That's it pretty much. The statement that they're crappy enough to easily be replicated procedurally isn't an exaggeration.

While the subterranean plants have a firmer cultural grip as well as not having any real world counterparts to make them obsolete, there really needs to be some stock choices at the base so we don't have to decipher what's what for every new world (unless that's what you want). The aboveground ones have very little going for them in comparison. I personally wouldn't mind if the elves had a chance to bring sun fruit, or moon pears, or whatever other fitting plants they could be assigned rather than always having sun berries. I'd actually prefer that solution.

knaveightt

• Bay Watcher
  • "Safe Gambler"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 03:07:58 pm »

Relevant to the spirit of this thread, I think that if it were significantly harder to feed dwarves, we'd all have EVEN MORE appreciation of the plump helmet (it could/should still be the easiest form of food in relative terms to other crops), because it would feel like it was actually a crucial item saving you from a significant need/threat, rather than just being background clutter.

You can already edit the raws to have plants grow in seasonally/yearly manner. I'd imagine most people like the farming that currently exists precisely because it requires like 2 minutes of effort and planning. But I do agree completely with the notion that farming in general needs an overhaul, at least for those of us who want the added hassle FUN.

OT: Plump helmets definitely need to stay, but I wouldn't shed a tear if cave wheat or rock nuts get phased out.

I laugh, because a buddy of mine wanted to edit the raws for growing plants, and in the process had a full-on argument with me that cave wheat was the real deal.

Also, May the plump helmets be ever in your favor.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 03:30:13 pm »

I'd like to keep the handcrafted plants in the game alongside the generated ones, with some nudging of Dwarf preferences towards the handcrafted plants in the raws.

"Well, planters, I see we have a few different types of seeds to choose from."
"You might think there's a choice, bookkeeper, but there ain't."
"Humor me.  Here is the Cavern Thistle.  It's a goldenrod perennial that yields twelve to fifteen pods per plant in a single season, and can be brewed into Cavern Thistle Whiskey.  And we have Night Corn, a dark blue --"
"Save yer breath.  We's plantin' Plump Helmets."
"But... but why?  The Cavern Thistle is --"
"TRADITION!"

Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 09:01:36 pm »

Yes if the plump helmet were to disappear, I would shed a tear then I'd grab a beer and shove it up my rear, for without the plump helmet I love, I would run outside and brutally murder a dove. :c
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 06:47:07 pm »

I'd like to keep the handcrafted plants in the game alongside the generated ones, with some nudging of Dwarf preferences towards the handcrafted plants in the raws.

"Well, planters, I see we have a few different types of seeds to choose from."
"You might think there's a choice, bookkeeper, but there ain't."
"Humor me.  Here is the Cavern Thistle.  It's a goldenrod perennial that yields twelve to fifteen pods per plant in a single season, and can be brewed into Cavern Thistle Whiskey.  And we have Night Corn, a dark blue --"
"Save yer breath.  We's plantin' Plump Helmets."
"But... but why?  The Cavern Thistle is --"
"TRADITION!"
I approve of both of these ideas and would be happy with either or both.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 06:59:07 pm »

Yes if the plump helmet were to disappear, I would shed a tear then I'd grab a beer and shove it up my rear, for without the plump helmet I love, I would run outside and brutally murder a dove. :c
Due to my advanced first aid certification I am bound by Canadian law to advise against shoving a beer up your rear. You can't vomit after the butt-chug, so it's very easy to give yourself fatal alcohol poisoning that way.
Please drown your sorrows in the more traditional, oral fashion.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 07:10:00 pm »

Due to my advanced first aid certification I am bound by Canadian law to advise against shoving a beer up your rear. You can't vomit after the butt-chug, so it's very easy to give yourself fatal alcohol poisoning that way.
Please drown your sorrows in the more traditional, oral fashion.

And don't forget the fact that shoving a bottle up a butt is quite painful (I think it is anyway I don't want to find out)
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.
Pages: [1] 2 3