Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Breakdown of the new update - all you need to know right here!  (Read 7077 times)

thegamesurvivor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've put up a new, updated video on the new patch, that goes into depth with gameplay examples of a bunch of the new features, especially adventure mode stuff - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2jAbznOmL0
Please excuse the dodgy recording, for some reason I managed to snip off the edges of the screen. It doesn't really have a great effect on the info though :P

The older, pre-patch video that covers a few more features, but in less detail - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gZs6fMH9WU

EDIT: If anyone would prefer to read about the update, here's another handy guide that's being regularly updated as more news comes to light - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Vgy5h5tmWFZLqCJMYd1cbGG67SUCSIn30Y--DNymzdg/preview?sle=true
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 03:21:11 am by thegamesurvivor »
But. The BEDS. They beckon. They NEED to be watched. EVERYTHING IS NEW AND EXCITING.

I run an indie gaming channel on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGameSurvivorAus

HooliganintheFort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breakdown of the new update - all you need to know right here!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 08:16:01 pm »

Get hyped people!

thegamesurvivor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 08:17:01 pm »

Oh, trust me, I am suitably hyped.
But. The BEDS. They beckon. They NEED to be watched. EVERYTHING IS NEW AND EXCITING.

I run an indie gaming channel on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGameSurvivorAus

Raptomex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Pastime
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 10:39:11 pm »

This is great. Thanks.

thegamesurvivor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 01:02:29 am »

No problem mate, figured some people might want a handy guide to what's actually important about the update :)

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 09:46:39 am »

Thanks, now I won't be able to sleep for the next month.

Great job, anyway; it was really useful.  :)
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 10:51:55 am »

I heard people talking about changes to bruising, but i havent seen anything about that. Are bruising mechanics going to be changed?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 11:31:17 am »

I'm similarly curious about pulping.  I know Toady discussed it long ago, but did we ever get any concrete details on how it will work?  Or, for that matter, if it even made it into the release?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 11:58:42 am »

Pulping is in the release, yes. Don't know about concrete details on it.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 12:00:27 pm »

I take it hill dwarves are still only a feature of NPC forts?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 12:57:54 pm »

Yeah, though nothing stopping you from making your fort like a hill dwarf site. Theres no difference between hill dwarves and deep dwarves that migrate to your site, AFAIK.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 01:22:03 pm »

One question on the video, I think you said something about adventurers making a camp for the night while talking about camps? I'm not aware of that feature. I'm hard of hearing and was using google captions (which was being pretty decent as far as google captions go, then again, I already know what's in the update), so, something probably got misunderstood there.

Also, I know you said economy, but that might be misleading as the dwarven economy isn't back yet. Toady One hasn't worked on that stuff yet.

You forgot to mention some stuff like the new dwarven brains with the new personality stuff and jumping, though jumping goes into the whole improved movement and movement-combat split.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 03:17:06 pm »

The release will probably be out soon!

[HYPE INTENSIFIES]
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

thegamesurvivor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 07:53:32 pm »

you said something about adventurers making a camp for the night

I was referring to armies making camps, I don't believe I mentioned anything about adventurers themselves making camps? As for the other stuff, I had to keep the video relatively short, otherwise people would've been bored out of their skulls :P

The hype is real!! :D :D

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 12:44:45 am »

You mention not knowing about how the dwarf leadership would work in your video. That info's in the devlog towards the end of 2012. It's also summed up in the changelog (Entity Sites->Dwarf Sites->Noble Hierarchy) as
the king rules a few dukes who each rule a few counts whose barony often includes a few towns with their own mayors.
Is that inadequately clear, or is there something else you were confused on?

Also, you assumed we can come across battles: That won't happen in this update. Your "near future" may be near in terms of DF development but we're still looking at multiple years.

I take it hill dwarves are still only a feature of NPC forts?
To the extent that it happens in play at all, hill dwarves should form sites around player-made fortresses just as they do around NPC forts. They won't interact with you during fort mode though.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 01:27:50 am by Cruxador »
Pages: [1] 2