Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 159203 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #1440 on: August 31, 2024, 05:01:08 am »

I have no idea but I'll take a shot in the dark: the boondock saints?
let

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: August 31, 2024, 05:12:08 am »

It sounds like a spoof or a clone of Natural Born Killers, but I don't know it.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: August 31, 2024, 11:14:18 am »

Not the Boondock Saints, no.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: August 31, 2024, 02:53:18 pm »

Doesn't fit the ending, but maybe Man bites dog?
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: August 31, 2024, 03:29:52 pm »

15 minutes.

Evidently trawling through lists of movies released in America in certain years yields results, it just took forever.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: September 01, 2024, 02:45:18 pm »

So the guy behind Dogtooth and Lobster made a, uh, comedy(?) called Poor Things. I've only seen the trailer, but I think I'm gonna dig it something fierce.
I can't really tell what it's all about other than it looks like some ungodly steampunk/frankensteinian/feminist fever dream.
Anyone gets to see it before I get the chance, do leave a review.

If you haven't seen it yet; I strongly, strongly recommend Poor Things. Exceptionally weird. Emma Stone outdoes herself in a role unlike any other she's played, and that's saying something given her career. It is bizarre and disturbing and at times quite nonsensical, and it is an absolute delight. Like The Lobster, it is quite difficult to accurately describe and is best served by just watching it.

I myself watched The Lobster for the first time yesterday, and cheerily cackled through that monument to social commentary-wrapped-in-weirdness as well.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: September 01, 2024, 03:11:58 pm »

I'm gonna say it here, as I don't have/intend to get a TVTropes account to waste even more time in the sink-hole that it can be...

From the page https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WMG/BladeRunner2049 (the one for Wild Mass Guessing/Fan Theories... yeah, I know, but the whole site being sink-hole and wiki-walk eater-up-of-time, remember[1]!) there's the following...

K is Charlie Brown

It seems extremely obvious, though, that they missed at least one other great big justification for this ...semi-(demi-hemi-)serious entry... which nobody seems to have thought to mention. He has problems with kites!

ba-dum tish!

[1] No, I can't rightly tell you the path I took to even get there.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: September 01, 2024, 03:54:56 pm »

If you haven't seen it yet;
Oh, I've seen it since. It was very good. Reminded me, in its distorted faux-reality, of Jeunet&Carro films (Delicatessen, City of Lost Children).
Kinda wrapped up too nicely in the end, if you know what I mean. Lacked some sort of a gut punch or emotional high to stay with you as the credits roll (like with the Lobster). But then again, how it is fits with the whole fairytale-adjacency, and a minor complaint anyway.

ed: I was going to put this in random thoughts, but dragdealer has been despairing his demons there, so it seemed inappropriate.
At the end of Groundhog Day, when Phil wakes up to a new morning after decades spent reliving one scenario, he most likely develops life-consuming anxiety and depression as he's suddenly not in control of anything, and his yesterday's accolades can never again be repeated. He can no longer be the personal hero of everyone in town, and he feels guilty about it. Misses the past.
In the final shot he says he wants to live in the town, because he's afraid of the wider world. He's been stuck in the loop for so long, he's mostly forgotten all his marketable skills, or anyone from his pre-groundhog past. Both the outside and the future are alien, changing, incomprehensible. Full of strangers he'll never again be privy to know like he got used to and random things that happen out of order.
I bet he then ends up living in the B&B, barely leaving the room, hoping each morning to wake up to 'I got you babe' at 6 AM. The girlfriend, ~80 years his junior, has long split, because he couldn't find a common tongue with - essentially - a child, ever after that one special day.
He sometimes thinks of offing himself again with the toaster - maybe that's the way back.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2024, 06:31:10 pm by Il Palazzo »

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: September 02, 2024, 04:36:14 pm »

This thread seems relevant.  I just watched an interesting web essay on Logan's Run

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: September 02, 2024, 05:31:42 pm »

(Hurridly backs out of the "essay" that's actually a Youtube video... Best to watch when I'm not on a tablet on mobile connection. Set it to see later when I've got a bigger screen and fatter datapipe.)

Seeing the edit about Groundhog Day's future, in the prior post, reminds me of the different take in: https://xkcd.com/1076/

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: September 02, 2024, 05:55:38 pm »

reminds me of the different take in: https://xkcd.com/1076/
That's wrong in the premise, though. Innit? They never had sex while still in the loop.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: September 02, 2024, 08:29:32 pm »

This thread seems relevant.  I just watched an interesting web essay on Logan's Run

One of my childhood movies I was raised on. I'll be interested to see if I enjoy the essay.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: September 02, 2024, 08:58:44 pm »

One of my childhood movies I was raised on. I'll be interested to see if I enjoy the essay.

I was enjoying this until it became a soap box about burnout culture and the achievement-based mythos of the 21st century. Like half the video is just that with footage from the movie overlaid. Ironically, while the guy is doing glam shots of himself in what is obviously a resort location. Sorry, but at least it a) reminded me that I love this movie and b) thankful my parents didn't really have a filter on what they recorded to VHS and allowed us to watch :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: September 03, 2024, 03:10:04 am »

reminds me of the different take in: https://xkcd.com/1076/
That's wrong in the premise, though. Innit? They never had sex while still in the loop.
There's certainly ambiguity about it, at best. (Maybe should have also linked: https://blog.xkcd.com/2012/07/02/groundhog-day-correction/ )

...my own resolution to the clash of memes is that when the 'final' loop went (apparently) perfectly yet involved sex, that's what caused the loop to still not end (as per comic's retelling), as not satisfying fate's criteria, but still seem like a satisfying resolution from (the human) Phil's conscious perspective, so he kept that not-quite-movie-version form of the day as the one to 'endure' without end.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: September 03, 2024, 06:22:50 am »

I thought the stuff about discipline- vs achievement culture was pretty relevant to be honest. I also thought the filming style was intentional, to reinforce the content.  Of course maybe much of my appreciation is because I was born at the transition from discipline to achievement, and at the time when all the technology was becoming mainstream - I saw both worlds firsthand.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98