Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98]

Author Topic: The Movie Discussion Thread!  (Read 159173 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Discussion Thread!
« Reply #1455 on: September 09, 2024, 04:33:38 pm »

Very nearly necroed the Star Wars thread, but that might be a bit niche[1]...

RIP James Earl Jones, 93.

[1] And voice-only. I think, movie-wise, his Admiral Greer does more for me. And two of his three times were alongside Harrison Ford.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2024, 05:12:59 pm by Starver »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: September 09, 2024, 05:09:46 pm »

Thulsa Doom, man.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: September 09, 2024, 05:16:05 pm »

Too bad he can't be a Jedi ghost.  Cheers, mate.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: September 10, 2024, 10:41:15 am »

I've rewatched Alien, first time in many years. You know how the terribaddest thing in Prometheus was people acting unreasonably? I can kinda see it already present in the first one, just not amped so high. People splitting up when there's no good reason to, walking backwards through corridors, not using incinerators when they get a chance, leaving doors open. Like, some of it can be chalked up to panicking, but it is grating.

Also 1, why in the world the version on Disney+ is not the director's cut? I want my eggforming.
Also 2, holy shit did they make Ripley wear the most ridiculously tiniest of undies. I can almost picture some lecherous studio exec (or Scott) coming up with the idea. Or maybe it was simply in vogue at the time to wear a handkerchief and show off one's crack, what do I know.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: September 10, 2024, 11:33:55 am »

In their defense the crew of the Nostromo was basically just "disgruntled truck drivers, in space". Yeah..I wouldn't expect combat/tactical expertise in their skill set.

Meanwhile the merry crew of the Prometheus had people like that biologist who just had to boop the snoot of that clearly hostile, snakelike, alien who he had no idea about it's defense mechanisms...because we don't have any creature with poison, venom or fangs in good ol' Earth :P
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: September 10, 2024, 11:50:33 am »

You don't need combat experience to figure out that when there's three of you left, and there's no real time pressure, you maybe shouldn't split up. 'Go and bring some coolant while I prep the shuttle' No! Go together and then prep the shuttle together.

Still, not as bad as forgetting you can turn while running.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: September 11, 2024, 01:44:48 am »

That kind of shit is pretty common in a lot of horror movies, it's like everyone in a horror movie is stupid.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: September 11, 2024, 05:45:11 am »

"Deus ex Moron" is a pretty common theme to be sure, but it's more egregious in some places than others :P

I was really hoping that maybe, just maybe, some filmmaking lessons had been learned by the time they made Covenant... ...they had not. Gorgeous scenery, everyone's a fuckin' idiot, nothing makes a goddamn lick of sense. As such, I really don't hold high hopes for Romulus

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: September 11, 2024, 07:33:48 am »

There might be a lot of that sort of thing going on, but there's also much of the opposite. Either can be smart or silly things for the characters to do. And the characters probably don't have enough information to realise which is which.

It's how it's written, and part of how it is written is whether there's an experience (direct character expertise or an "oh no... I've seen this kind of movie before" kind of awareness) to have them be genre-blind, genre-savvy or wrong-genre-savvy. And when it's something they might never have expected (that inconveniently shorted circuit was due to Snakes! On your Plane!), you can excuse characters wandering around on their own before they know they're going into danger. And even when they have the initial inklings because they still don't know enough to be Afraid, Be Very Afraid, or consider time-restraints the more vital pressure rather than needing to double[1][2][3]-up at all times.

Then, once it comes to "Ok, gang, we need a multi-part plan to get us to safety and/or negate the danger", there's not likely to be a sit-down meeting with flowcharts and full risk-analysis to cover each and every way in which the still somewhat mysterious nature of the antagonist(ic element) could derail individual or group survival. Military-trained practical awareness (or encyclopædic knowledge of the entire ventilation system) can only go so far.

[1] Not that doubling up totally works, as a pair watching each other's backs are still often enough picked off as essentially two singles due to inopportune separation or momentary inattention/misdirection by the first one to succumb.
[2] And if the danger isn't known/assumed to be one of the party, in which case Tripling-Up would be advisable, to prevent easy backstabbing then the rogue element fakes their death/their partner's complicity in order to then start to pick off other pairs at leisure.
[3] It's so easy to over-(/under-)think these things, and get the balance wrong for the situation. Character flaws might help, but the simple lack of omniscience might just be enough to make a few ultimately bad decisions from.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: September 11, 2024, 11:19:45 pm »

I've wondered about them splitting up too.  I guess the only real explanation is that they were trying to leave as fast as humanly possible, but it doesn't really hold up well when you think about it.  It could have only saved a couple of minutes.

Something else I've wondered about is if the Narcissus could have even carried all three of them.  It's been a while since I've watched it, but I only remember there being a single hyper sleep chamber on it.  From what I remember they just stated it couldn't take four people.

Also 1, why in the world the version on Disney+ is not the director's cut? I want my eggforming.
Also 2, holy shit did they make Ripley wear the most ridiculously tiniest of undies. I can almost picture some lecherous studio exec (or Scott) coming up with the idea. Or maybe it was simply in vogue at the time to wear a handkerchief and show off one's crack, what do I know.

1. My guess is that the eggmorphing is probably considered noncanon.  Or does Disney+ have the ability to view deleted content like on a Director's Cut DVD?  Interestingly, I can't think of any Alien media except for that deleted scene that ever showed it.  It's probably in one of the books or comic books, but I don't know much about them.

2. I always thought the underwear was pretty dumb.  This sort of sexualization was in style when Alien was made or something, I think?  If I remember right the female crew basically had nipple tape in the hypersleep scene too.  Still looks ridiculous.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98]