Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21

Author Topic: Birth of a Deity: Turn 17, Multitudinous Failures of Words  (Read 25511 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of a Deity: Turn 15, Bellstaran Hospitality
« Reply #255 on: September 04, 2014, 06:35:49 am »

Go outside, and clean/open the windows/shutters of the basement. ((Assuming the architect who designed the house wasn't a complete idiot, I'm not actually going to need a light source.))

You may not be an architectural expert, but you are fairly sure that the dark hole is definitely not a basement. At least not one that wasn't designed by a complete idiot. The house doesn't have a basement that you can see. It doesn't even have a full foundation, as evidenced by the way there's dirt beneath the floorboards. The trapdoor and the dark hole it leads into seems to be entirely disconnected from the rest of the house.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 04, 2014, 07:15:35 am »

Make and light a torch. Speak friend and enter. There should be plenty of wood and cloth scraps around, maybe a bit of oil somewhere...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 11:52:45 pm by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of a Deity: Turn 14, It's A Good Week For Revelation
« Reply #257 on: September 04, 2014, 07:33:14 am »

"No. The gnome god is benevolent, and lonely. Our presence brings it happiness, and it demands nothing else. We keep it pretty and presentable as well, though it has not asked. We feel it is a good thing to do, as it helps others find it and keep it company. And for our kindness, it helps us through making the path inviolate and peaceful, you see?"
"Hmm. Yes. It is very devout of you to try and help your god in his loneliness. However, my dear sir, it would seem that your god is no longer as lonely as you would think."

Edwin smiles, swishing the rest of his tea in his cup

"For the great and merciful Orange Pekoe was able to lead me to this path. It would seem that your god and mine share a certain bond, for surely the path would otherwise have stayed hidden to me. Dare I speculate...I believe the Gnomegod may have found a friend."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 04, 2014, 07:55:54 am »

Surely a local can get him pointed in the right direction.  Pilner walked into the town and started looking for someone who looked informative.  Or anyone, really.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 04, 2014, 08:19:08 am »

"Yeah," mumbled Derek, feeling a little down. This propheting business was harder than it looked, particularly when the local eejits spoken some undecipherable language rather than Karse's own honest English. He half-heartedly looked for other likely convertees as he wandered back to the Inn for a good night's sleep.

"Sweetie, Ehran, thank you for your support. Sometimes, following the will of god is pretty hard work. Let's see if anyone else round here has any sense and head back to the inn for some food. Let's hope they can at least do that right round here."

edit: forgot to bold
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 09:35:17 am by lawastooshort »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 04, 2014, 10:59:06 am »

"Hmm. Yes. It is very devout of you to try and help your god in his loneliness. However, my dear sir, it would seem that your god is no longer as lonely as you would think."

Edwin smiles, swishing the rest of his tea in his cup

"For the great and merciful Orange Pekoe was able to lead me to this path. It would seem that your god and mine share a certain bond, for surely the path would otherwise have stayed hidden to me. Dare I speculate...I believe the Gnomegod may have found a friend."

"Makes sense. Who is Orange Pekoe, then?"

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 04, 2014, 11:16:23 pm »

Jim stares at the home, and slowly walks to the door, knocking on it. When someone opens it, he politely nods.

"I am traveling in this area, and I do not have a place to spend the night. Do you happen to have a place where I could stay? I would be very grateful."
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 06, 2014, 07:48:42 pm »

"Makes sense. Who is Orange Pekoe, then?"
"Why, the great and merciful Orange Pekoe is the greatest and most merciful amongst all gods. He is wise, and prefers peace and nonviolence above all else. To use violence before trying other ways of solving conflicts goes against His word. Pray to him, and he may bless you with His divine wisdom, just as he blessed me."

Edwin smiles, drinking the last of his tea.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of a Deity: Turn 16, Dark Corners of the Land
« Reply #263 on: September 13, 2014, 05:40:32 am »

Turn 16, Dark Corners of the Land

Emilia, after collecting a piece of wood, a semi-dry rag and an old bucket of some dark, vaguely flammable-seeming sludge, constructs an impromptu torch of adequate quality. And fortunately for her, a tinderbox is eventually located as well, allowing her to light the torch with quite a bit of effort - the thing provides some much-needed light as she begins to descend into the hole - the odor emanating from it is rather awful, she notes. Fortunately, there is a ladder leading down, meaning she does not require to drop down the hole based on hope alone - quite fortunate, too, considering the way the ladder seems to lead down about ten whole meters, at the bottom of which it becomes slightly difficult to breathe.

Also at the bottom she can detect an intriguing passage - entirely dark apart from the minimal amount of light you're providing, and more than a bit foreboding, probably due to its narrowness and inhospitable look. She looks into it, leaning forward, but is interrupted by, of all things, a voice from within.

"I am hearing someone over there, begads! Intruding person, was it you with the breaking of the door?" it asks in a hollow, genderless tone. "I think I was hearing something rightly breaking, and the place is looking much more lit now! Smelling much better, too!"

Pilner, not about to waste time, wades right into the marvelous atmosphere of Hinsen, seeking people to inform him of where he had best go. First on his path is a considerably drunk fishwife - his experience in taverns across the fair land of Allochthon leads him to believe that she may be a wonderful starting point, and he begins to ask if she happens to be free at the moment to answer some questions, accompanying his words with a whole lot of expressive gestures, as he knows is custom for foreigners in the south.

The way she immediately hugs Pilner and talks in a friendly-sounding voice seems indicative that she does indeed have some time to spare.

Derek, dejected as he is turned away by the strange people in the streets, walks off with Ehran and Sweetie, halfheartedly looking around for other individuals worth converting, feeling that at least a token effort to convert some people is still required on his part.

"Sweetie, Ehran, thank you for your support. Sometimes, following the will of god is pretty hard work. Let's see if anyone else round here has any sense and head back to the inn for some food. Let's hope they can at least do that right round here."

Sweetie and Ehran both nod solemnly, and the three proceed, walking down the street when something catches their eye in the square just outside the Firrtin Tivvy Aen - a stage, it seems like, or the beginnings of one, anyway. A group of seven women seem to be working on it, one wearing a very large hat ordering the other six around - each one seems to wear a peculiar costume resembling a clownish dress.

"-no, no, no! That's not how you set up the curtain! Pay attention, Mitz!" the supervising woman shouts in a crystal-clear Foghaunt dialect, her voice powerful and robust.

Jim, after sizing up the home before him and dubbing it fit for habitation, walks up to the door and knocks on it. No immediate reply. He is about to knock again, but the door opens, revealing a short woman in her mid-thirties, somewhat plain in looks, with a thick mane of dark hair. She stares at Jim for a moment, raising an eyebrow.

"Can I help you, sir?"

Jim nods politely, as per the plan, and says "I am traveling in this area, and I do not have a place to spend the night. Do you happen to have a place where I could stay? I would be very grateful."

She tilts her head a little.

"Well, I don't know. Who are you, even? Where did you come from?" she asks doubtfully.

Edwin continues to exposit on the nature of Orange Pekoe to the man before him.

"Why, the great and merciful Orange Pekoe is the greatest and most merciful amongst all gods. He is wise, and prefers peace and nonviolence above all else. To use violence before trying other ways of solving conflicts goes against His word. Pray to him, and he may bless you with His divine wisdom, just as he blessed me."

The man nods carefully as Edwin finishes his tea.

"Does Orange Pekoe bless other people with this... divine wisdom? Not just you, but others?"

Spoiler: MP Tracker (click to show/hide)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 13, 2014, 06:08:53 am »

"Yes, it was me. Apologies, I did not expect to find anyone in a village this ravaged. I am Emilia Forester. Who would you be?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 13, 2014, 07:15:26 am »

"Yes, it was me. Apologies, I did not expect to find anyone in a village this ravaged. I am Emilia Forester. Who would you be?"

"Grew the Dead, the people used to be calling me. Not anymore, since they all went ahead with the leaving and things. What's bringing you down to my home?"

You hear light footsteps as something draws nearer from the darkness.

"You're looking pretty dirty, Emilia Forester! You're not a vagrant, are you? I'm sure hoping you're not, I am. Begads, you'd be outta luck if you were one of those 'round here!"

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 13, 2014, 07:44:47 am »

"I am traveling right now, and I haven't had time to clean. I'm merely sating my curiosity, looking around this interesting village. You say the villagers left, could you tell me why? And that is an interesting moniker, by the way. May I ask how you got it?"

Move my torch forward to illuminate further.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 13, 2014, 07:46:55 am »

"I am a poor shepherd who has travelled from far away lands. I came here because the city guards who blocked my entry, said you were generous and kind. If you could find a place for me to stay, I promise I won't be a bother."
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 13, 2014, 10:02:06 am »

"I am traveling right now, and I haven't had time to clean. I'm merely sating my curiosity, looking around this interesting village. You say the villagers left, could you tell me why? And that is an interesting moniker, by the way. May I ask how you got it?"

Move my torch forward to illuminate further.

"Villagers were leaving because of nothing to live off, no traffic to be leeching off of, and fear of the dragons! Rightly so, I'd be saying. And I'm called Grew the Dead because my name's always been Grew, see," the voice begins to say, moving closer to you. You move the torch forward a little, and a figure comes into the light, an individual about one and a half meters tall, his skin hanging loosely on him, his body in the early stages of decomposition, "and also 'cause I am all with the deadness and the shambling, see?"

His face sags quite terribly, and you notice a large hole in his forehead as well as the fact that his left arm is just barely hanging on to his body. One of his very dry, slightly shriveled eyes stares off at nothing slightly away from you, and his clothes would be best described as a set of old scraps.

"I am a poor shepherd who has travelled from far away lands. I came here because the city guards who blocked my entry, said you were generous and kind. If you could find a place for me to stay, I promise I won't be a bother."

"Well... I don't know, really. You are a stranger, after all, even if you look harmless. What's your name? And why are you traveling?"

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 13, 2014, 10:25:56 am »

"I do see. You indeed look very dead, but how come you're still, er, shambling? Magic? If you don't mind me asking, that is."
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21