Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21

Author Topic: Birth of a Deity: Turn 17, Multitudinous Failures of Words  (Read 25509 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of a Deity: Turn 13, A Dark Village
« Reply #225 on: August 24, 2014, 12:52:51 pm »

"Not directly, no. It does make for a rather comfortable living, however. You've got your little house, nothing fancy but very nice all in all. You've got all sorts of knights and young heroes and whatnot coming from all over to get some wisdom from the old man of the lake. They usually bring gifts, so those are your main source of income. Then there's the fact that all these people coming to see you pass through the village, which increases trade. The villagers, in turn, gift you food and repair your furniture and the likes. It's a symbiotic relationship between old man and village, really. The prestige of having an old man brings all kinds of trade and tourism to a village.

Though I did give martial arts lessons on the side for some extra pocket money. I don't dislike fish, but honestly, a man should eat something else once in a while. "

"What are martial arts? And why do people ask you these things?"

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 24, 2014, 01:07:15 pm »

"What are martial arts? And why do people ask you these things?"
"The LaoZi school of martial arts focuses mostly on fighting without a weapon or with a stick. The goal is to avoid getting hurt and to disable your opponent without killing them. Of course, once you know how to disable someone with your bare hands, killing them with a weapon isn't all that hard really.

And people come to ask me these things because I am, or rather was, the old man of the lake. It's traditional that young heroes or people with dillemma's come to get the wise old man's help. In case of young heroes, you just have to give them a push in the right direction to get their career started. Most other people really just need someone to talk to, being a wise old man is just a bonus in those cases.

As for the martial arts training, it's mostly youngsters who want to learn how to fight in facy ways. Mostly I just teach them how to hold back, the actual fighting is secondary to getting them to contain their violent urges."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 25, 2014, 04:13:15 pm »

"The LaoZi school of martial arts focuses mostly on fighting without a weapon or with a stick. The goal is to avoid getting hurt and to disable your opponent without killing them. Of course, once you know how to disable someone with your bare hands, killing them with a weapon isn't all that hard really.

And people come to ask me these things because I am, or rather was, the old man of the lake. It's traditional that young heroes or people with dillemma's come to get the wise old man's help. In case of young heroes, you just have to give them a push in the right direction to get their career started. Most other people really just need someone to talk to, being a wise old man is just a bonus in those cases.

As for the martial arts training, it's mostly youngsters who want to learn how to fight in facy ways. Mostly I just teach them how to hold back, the actual fighting is secondary to getting them to contain their violent urges."

"Why did you stop? And come here?"

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 25, 2014, 04:37:12 pm »

"Well, I haven't really stopped. I'm still an old man" Edwin chuckles "But I've left the village, indeed. Because of the vision I got from the great and merciful Orange Pekoe. Spreading the word of his greatness is much more important than living a comfortable life as the old man of the lake.

As for why I came here, well, because the great and merciful Orange Pekoe has given me divine directions that lead to this path. Clearly, it is important that I came here. Though I still don't know much about this place."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 27, 2014, 03:31:18 am »

Drink several ales – enough to achieve moderate inebriation – and then walk the town for an hour or two looking for fellow holy types or people who look down on their luck and might be receptive to a bit of preaching.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of a Deity: Turn 14, It's A Good Week For Revelation
« Reply #230 on: August 27, 2014, 07:38:57 pm »

Turn 14, It's A Good Week For Revelation

Emilia, rather interested in what one would see fit to bury in such a highly conspicuous place, digs at the mound with her bare hands until her fingers brush up against wood - old wood, braced with a bit of steel. She digs a little more, then a tad beyond even that, quickly removing the topmost layer of dirt.

To her surprise, what's beneath is not a treasure chest or lockbox. Rather, it seems to be a trapdoor, complete with a handle. The wood, as noted, is quite old, and the steel's a bit rusted. The trapdoor seems a bit flimsy, all in all, though a pull at its handle seems to reveal that it is quite locked. Emilia does not see a keyhole.

As Edwin comes to the end of the explanation about his profession and calling, he wonders about this place he has found himself in - this appears to set off the man he is speaking to, though in an entirely positive way.

"This place is one of the path villages. It has a name, Pkrin. We are all born here, or have found the path. Like you did. There are two other villages on the path, Htoz and Gpin. We came here by accident, got lost, went out of our way. And then we started living like gnomes, no touching the swamp. No orcs here, or dragons, or much of anything dangerous, except us. So it is a good life. I sometimes go out and trade with outsiders, this is how I know your dialect. Others have not left the path in their life. You see? A very good life we lead here. We can worship the gnome god, tell gnome jokes, and live in peace."

Derek and his hearty crew of fellow practitioners of nudity decide that there's no use in walking around a town like this sober, and they quickly order some ales for their trouble. Or, more precisely, Ehran and Derek do, while Sweetie just stands by, tapping her foot idly. Inebriation, fortunately, does not take long at all to take hold - a sign of good ale with a lower proportion of water than usual, Derek notes. Compliments to the unintelligible hosts, he thinks. But the two men do not get extremely drunk - not yet, anyway. There may be time for that later. Right now, preaching must happen! And so the three people hit the streets immediately.

Fortunately for them, they find a whole bunch of peculiar sorts wandering the streets - two women, to be precise, and one man. Each seems to be quite interesting in their own right, or so Derek would, perhaps inappropriately, judge from their appearance.

Leading the group seems to be a woman with a very oddly-shaped head - it appears to flatten at the very top, and the top of her skull seems to have taken on the appearance of a wide-brimmed hat, albeit one covered in long hair that's combed rather stylishly. She's wearing an expensive-looking dress. Following her is a smaller woman, with a mousy look to her, her face pronouncedly twitching all over as she examines the surrounding area. She seems to compensate for her lack of physical extravagance with a dress that easily upstages her friend's. And the man following them both is most curious of all, for he seems to be making the conscious choice to walk backwards, all the while wearing a jet black robe complete with ominous hood. They stop immediately in front of Derek, seemingly catching his restless look of having something he wants to say. She says something very slowly, more a series of strangely composed vowels than a word or a sentence, and the twitchy woman seems to agree. Sweetie inclines her head, raising an eyebrow, and asks them something extremely rapidly with a great degree of fluency. The three strange people all giggle together at this.

The sun is slowly disappearing beyond the horizon as the sleepy eyes of one Pilner are slowly forced open by a profound lack of exhaustion, which is a very sharp contrast to how he felt just this morning. Not that he was fully aware of it, of course. He'd been walking for a while, in a bit of a fugue state from suddenly touching the mind of God, you know. Nothing too unique, he would guess, aside from this real strange sense of purpose. He had a direction to go in and things to do. Important dreams and instructions, or something of that nature. Ones he couldn't help but act upon. And so he started walking.

His mind must have been in some kind of strange cycle there. He hasn't really experienced something like this before. He sort of vaguely recalls walking all day and all night. And then at one point his body decided to screw waiting for his mind to respond and just shut down all on its own. Or at least he thinks that's how this kind of thing works. Point is, he planted himself face-first into the road, it kind of hurts, and he doesn't really remember what he was supposed to do, just that it seemed to be important and that he's probably going in the right direction at the moment. Unless somebody just flipped him around while he was passed out. Who knows what these crazy travelers can do, you know?

Turns out being a missionary in the name of the One True God is much more difficult than previously thought, Jim is forced to conclude as he stands before the gates of Bellstarae, explaining to the guards that he'd really like to go in, if only for the unique blend of variety, novelty and comfort that not resting on the ground tends to bring.

But the guards don't seem to believe that it's worth letting him in at this hour. After all, it's technically past the time when the town gates close for the night. And also Jim smells rather bad, they explain and expressively gesture to get their conviction across as clearly as possible. Jim silently curses choosing to try and sleep so early in the morning. Missed the entire day, basically.

Spoiler: MP Tracker (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 27, 2014, 08:46:28 pm »

Pilner rubbed his head as he looked down the road.  There was the remnant of a bump there, from some sharp blow.  A... punch?  Club?  No... must have been a chair, yeah, chair.  Hm.  A waste of good craftmanship.

He blinked.  Where'd that thought come from?  It was new.  He felt connected to something... the vision.  He had had a vision.  A figure... a god, he thought... had appeared to him.  The Crafter, was that his name?  He felt... yes, he had a purpose and a mission.  What was it again?

Shrugging, he walked forward.  He'd come up with the answer.

Start walking the way I was headed.  Look around.  Any clues to where I am?  Try to remember the vision and what it was I was supposed to be doing.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 27, 2014, 10:26:49 pm »

((Could be just someone's wine cellar, but if something is intact, it's underground.))

"Hey, Reen! I found something!"
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 28, 2014, 02:01:29 am »

”Ooh, nice languaging, Sweetie. What did you say?”

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 28, 2014, 10:00:13 am »

((Could be just someone's wine cellar, but if something is intact, it's underground.))

"Hey, Reen! I found something!"

"What?" comes to voice of Reen from afar. She heard you, judging from the tone, and is very much interested.

”Ooh, nice languaging, Sweetie. What did you say?”

She does not reply to you, only smiling as she points at you, then at the group of three.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 28, 2014, 10:06:43 am »

"Come on, just let me in for the night! It's dark out here, you wouldn't force someone to fend for themselves in these conditions, would you?"
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 28, 2014, 10:11:11 am »

"A locked trapdoor to a cellar unknown! Whatever is in there, it's probably still intact!"
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 28, 2014, 10:19:42 am »

"Come on, just let me in for the night! It's dark out here, you wouldn't force someone to fend for themselves in these conditions, would you?"

"Quite the opposite, good chap!" one of the gate guards replies. "It's a very fine night. Exactly the best sort of time to be outside, enjoying the starlight, is it not? It'd be a romantic evening, even, were you not alone out here."

"Indeed. Perhaps you can use this time to think about what you've done," the other concurs.

"A locked trapdoor to a cellar unknown! Whatever is in there, it's probably still intact!"

"Find out what's in there!" Reen shouts back.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 28, 2014, 10:21:04 am »

"But I haven't done anything, fine sirs!"
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 28, 2014, 10:23:35 am »

"But I haven't done anything, fine sirs!"

"That just makes you all the more suspicious. Who knows what sort of dastardly deeds you might choose to enact if you were to be let inside at night and allowed to cut loose?"
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21