Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21

Author Topic: Birth of a Deity: Turn 17, Multitudinous Failures of Words  (Read 25548 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of a Deity: Turn 7, The Eejit's Sweetheart
« Reply #165 on: July 19, 2014, 10:29:46 am »

"I haven't seen him in person yet, to be honest."
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 19, 2014, 10:34:22 am »

"I haven't seen him in person yet, to be honest."

"So probably not, then, heh."

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 19, 2014, 10:44:19 am »

Laugh with her.

Major action for this turn: Travel with the family until either something unexpected happens or the cart reaches Yungor.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 19, 2014, 02:29:24 pm »

"Hello there, Miss Sweetie!" announced Derek, "My name is Derek the Naked Jackal, Apostle of Karse and of Nudity! I have come to speak on behalf of Ehran, who wondered if you might accede to our request and accompany us to the Tall Mountains of the South! Crikey, I could do with a sit down."

Derek looked Sweetie from toe to head, marvelling at her enormousness and swaying lightly. He couldn't figure out why, but he couldn't stop speaking in his booming drunk sailor's oratory voice. Like a well known big hairy actor he'd once seen in one of the bigger towns.

"Ho there, Sweetie! You are admirably tall - Ehran is a very lucky fellow. Now, you see - I am an Apostle of Karse, as I said - she is a goddess whose desire is to prepare us mortals for the end times, chiefly by getting us naked. You remind me of her, or how she appears when she speaks into my brain. Tall, and difficult to get to."

Derek had always particularly admired enormously tall women, and he was trying not to get tongue-tied.

Arkansan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 19, 2014, 03:10:15 pm »

Brennus thinks to himself for a moment "Eh, can't see the harm in digging some holes I'm in no position to get choosy over where my coin comes from."

(sorry I'm late guys. Things got crazy for me)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 19, 2014, 03:34:42 pm »

"Hello there, Miss Sweetie!" announced Derek, "My name is Derek the Naked Jackal, Apostle of Karse and of Nudity! I have come to speak on behalf of Ehran, who wondered if you might accede to our request and accompany us to the Tall Mountains of the South! Crikey, I could do with a sit down."

Derek looked Sweetie from toe to head, marvelling at her enormousness and swaying lightly. He couldn't figure out why, but he couldn't stop speaking in his booming drunk sailor's oratory voice. Like a well known big hairy actor he'd once seen in one of the bigger towns.

"Ho there, Sweetie! You are admirably tall - Ehran is a very lucky fellow. Now, you see - I am an Apostle of Karse, as I said - she is a goddess whose desire is to prepare us mortals for the end times, chiefly by getting us naked. You remind me of her, or how she appears when she speaks into my brain. Tall, and difficult to get to."

Derek had always particularly admired enormously tall women, and he was trying not to get tongue-tied.

Sweetie raises an eyebrow, her face becoming grim. She is seemingly not very impressed by this, and looks at Ehran.

"Karse is giving him fire magic! And the ability to survive the end times, all for the price of nakedness and maybe drunkenness! He's about to be going on a filth-er, holy pilgrimage to the south!" he starts to talk excitedly. Sweetie looks back at Derek expectantly, and a tad derisively.

Brennus thinks to himself for a moment "Eh, can't see the harm in digging some holes I'm in no position to get choosy over where my coin comes from."

(sorry I'm late guys. Things got crazy for me)

"Fantastic! Have you a place to stay in town?"

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 19, 2014, 03:59:49 pm »

"It's true - I be requested by God to head south, to rise atop a great feckin' mountain. And look - I am bein' naked, on account of being ready for the end times, and I am bein' almost quite exceptionally drunk, on account of having drunk more ale than I can keep count of, and look, beho-!"

Derek pauses just in time.

"Oh balls, wait. I was going to show you like the will of God and all, but it being an enclosed space in here it might not be a right good idea, and the will of God might be for us all to be burnt to shi- er smithereens. Hark, what say you, O Mighty Sweetie? Will you come outside and witness the will of God? If not I'll just go outside and ask Her for a few nice fireballs anyway, I likes 'em."

If she accepts - or if not, if no one stops me getting out - go outside and launch three or four fireballs into the sky.

Arkansan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 19, 2014, 10:02:45 pm »

Brennus replies "No, I sleep wherever I end up at the nights end usually."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 20, 2014, 02:16:48 am »

Brennus replies "No, I sleep wherever I end up at the nights end usually."

"Well, maybe you can stay with us, then? At least until morning?"

Arkansan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 20, 2014, 10:04:14 am »

Brennus grunts an agreement "wouldn't mind sleeping somewhere decent for a change."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 20, 2014, 10:19:02 am »

Brennus grunts an agreement "wouldn't mind sleeping somewhere decent for a change."

"Very well - let me prepare a room for you right quick," the woman says and quickly gets up from the table. "Father, you come along as well."

Her father responds quickly, and soon the both of them have stepped away from the dinner table, and walked downstairs, leaving you quite alone.

Arkansan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 20, 2014, 08:48:40 pm »

Brennus stretches, yawns and prepares to get some sleep. He mumbles to himself "Eh, suppose it wouldn't hurt me to do at least a little honest work in my life. Always helps to have some good will stored up in case I need to duck out some day."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of a Deity: Turn 8, The World's Most Comfortable Bed
« Reply #177 on: July 24, 2014, 06:56:46 am »

Turn 8, The World's Most Comfortable Bed

Believing himself to be well and truly lost, Edwin attempts to find the way in the same manner he has achieved enlightenment. Well, maybe not in the exact same manner - this time, there is no tea available. Thus the only option that remains is some good old-fashioned prayer. Kneeling in the muck, he asks for the knowledge of the merciful and great Orange Pekoe, his voice rising and falling, trembling slightly at the thought of invoking the spirit infinite.

Fortunately, nothing overly alarming comes of this. Unfortunately, absolutely nothing helpful comes of this, either - perhaps the wisdom of Orange Pekoe is not privy to him, a lowly old man on the first steps of his grand pilgrimage? The swamp only becomes more overbearing around him, filling him with feelings of confusion and fear. Is this a test, perhaps? Edwin, wise in the ways of smiling old men, feels like it very well might be, for it explains much of what is happening to him. So he gets up and chooses a direction according to his own good judgment.

An hour of walking in said direction later, he is no less lost. Perhaps more. But certainly not less.

Emilia, after laughing at Reen's remark, finds the conversation on the cart cease with a degree of abruptness. But since she has little to speak of with them anyway, this is of little trouble, and onward she travels, through the night, during which she can't really catch any sleep, being somewhat well-rested as it is. Reen, however, falls asleep and leans on her shoulder, while Ziph keeps a sleepy eye out - the boy remains completely alert and slightly nervous, while the girl appears to be writing something, occasionally glaring at Emilia in a way that suggests slight paranoia.

Eventually, as dawn starts to roll around, Emilia begins to feel exhausted, especially around seven in the morning, when the sun begins to properly rise and things get brighter. Along with an increase in brightness, there is a sight ahead - a town, or rather the remains of one. Collapsed roofs, seemingly empty houses, strange cries ringing out in the distance. Emilia hopes that's not Yungor.

"There's our destination," Ziph says, sounding disappointed.

"Looks pretty much dead all over. Congrats, Reen, you've pointed us to a town deader than Bantuk's Bend!" the girl exclaims indignantly.

"All part of the plan!" Reen says, rising suddenly and upsetting Emilia's balance a little. "It might be all droppings and ruin now, but where you see this as a bad thing, I see opportunity! Free property! Loot! It'll make a good stop, at the very least," she explains as the cart slowly rolls through the main street.

"You, uh, knew it'd be like this?" the boy asks cautiously, keeping an eye around the place. There's literally no human life in sight.

"Of course! Why else would I have led us here? Place is a dump is what it is! Always was, in fact. Now it just looks the part, judging from the reactions."

There's something at play here, and Emilia begins to suspect she knows what it might be.

Derek continues to explain his beliefs to the slightly unreceptive Sweetie.

"It's true - I be requested by God to head south, to rise atop a great feckin' mountain. And look - I am bein' naked, on account of being ready for the end times, and I am bein' almost quite exceptionally drunk, on account of having drunk more ale than I can keep count of, and look, beho-!"

He pauses just in time to prevent a conflagration. Or so he thinks - it's a bit damp here, and it's probably not too conducive to flames, which he guesses is a better reason not to show off his powers here.

"Oh balls, wait. I was going to show you like the will of God and all, but it being an enclosed space in here it might not be a right good idea, and the will of God might be for us all to be burnt to shi- er smithereens. Hark, what say you, O Mighty Sweetie? Will you come outside and witness the will of God? If not I'll just go outside and ask Her for a few nice fireballs anyway, I likes 'em."

Sweetie smiles, and taps Ehran on the shoulder.

"Right, I'll just be showing the way, now," he says, walking toward a particular wall, which he pulls a lever on - this opens a door on the opposite side, which he drunkenly dances toward, beckoning his friend and his sweetheart to follow - both do without a word, moving up a set of three ladders, stepping off one and on to the other at specific points indicated by him. Eventually they reach the surface, stepping out of a concealed door on a tree trunk right under a very uneasy-looking beehive.

Quickly stepping away from stinging distance, the two people watch as Derek is about to cast some fireballs to the wind. The incredibly drunken man in front of them seems like an unlikely candidate for magical power, showing little in the way of the understanding of the fundamental untruths one needs to master, but one never knows.

And so Derek, facing the heavens, calls forth his power over the element of fire, hot spheres of plasma appearing on his fingertips, ungodly hot and yet harmless to his blessed, naked form, and with a flick of the fingers they fly upwards, one after another, a barrage of skyward flames illuminating the nightly environment before exploding powerfully, the power enclosed within discharged violently into its surroundings. This spectacle of sights and sounds seems most breathtaking to Ehran, though Sweetie herself seems less than amused by it, presumably having seen quite a lot from that high up in her life already. She looks into Derek's eyes, a question clear in her mind - what else can you do? Her eyes seem almost godlike in judgment in that moment, her stare almost making the man retreat with its intensity.

Brennus, after a spot of narration to himself, stretches, yawns and prepares himself for a nice little spot of sleep. And soon the woman and her father are back, looking quite pleased with themselves.

"Your room is ready, follow me," the woman says, and then leads Brennus to a room on the first floor - it is an unassuming one, dominated by a rather large bed and possessing little else in terms of furnishings aside from a lit candle in the corner.

"Here we are. Feel free to make yourself comfortable. If you need anything, feel free to call for me," she says, then heads out into the hallway, disappearing from sight. Brennus lies down on the bed, only to find it supremely comfortable - quite frankly, it's the best bed he's ever lain in his entire life.

Spoiler: MP Tracker (click to show/hide)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 24, 2014, 03:01:59 pm »

Edwin sighs and then stretches out, the joints all over his body cracking. He goes from walking slightly stooped to walking perfectly upright, losing his meek old man voice and instead speaking much clearer.

"Well damn me, now I'm lost. Again. I'm not sure where Orange Pekoe is sending me, but I'm bloody well not converting anyone in the forsaken swamp. Come to think of it, I never actually saw the people in that ruined town. If this is some kind of test, then I'm just handing it in pro-forma, thank you very much. This is no place for a certified old mantm like myself to be."

Look to the sky, try and gauge where south is. Then, head in the direction that I believe south is.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 24, 2014, 03:15:50 pm »

Look around for signs of fire. Smoke, burn marks, ash on the ground, anything. This does not bode well.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21