Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21

Author Topic: Birth of a Deity: Turn 17, Multitudinous Failures of Words  (Read 25516 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of a Deity: Turn 11, The Black Path
« Reply #195 on: August 16, 2014, 03:46:21 am »

Would it be possible to get on the waitlist?

It would, but your sheet has a problem - you have four benefits, and three of them (or perhaps all four if the lie detection is infallible and you'd like to be sleepless) are types of magic you can personally do without the use of MP (the relationship between God and you is handled purely through MP), so you actually need 6-7 flaws in total, three for having four benefits, and one extra per type of magic you are able to do (although I could just move the weapon thing over to the miracle page, give it an MP cost, and you can take it out of the sheet). I do like the idea quite a lot, so I hope you can work it all out.

"How large of a share for each of us are you thinking about, by the way, Reen? You haven't exactly done a lot."

"I supply the ideas!"

"Crappy ideas, mind you."

"Shut it! The ideas are mine, I'm supervising, and I've a nose for treasure, and all these talents can be yours for just a quarter share, and one quarter for Birto, leaving half for you!"

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 16, 2014, 05:05:06 am »

"I see."

((Since when has this type of character not been completely corrupt? I find it hard to believe Reen isn't going to try and find a way to weasel out and grab all the loot for herself. That's a rhetorical question, by the way, please don't answer it.))
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Kaferian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 16, 2014, 07:35:12 pm »

Would it be possible to get on the waitlist?

It would, but your sheet has a problem - you have four benefits, and three of them (or perhaps all four if the lie detection is infallible and you'd like to be sleepless) are types of magic you can personally do without the use of MP (the relationship between God and you is handled purely through MP), so you actually need 6-7 flaws in total, three for having four benefits, and one extra per type of magic you are able to do (although I could just move the weapon thing over to the miracle page, give it an MP cost, and you can take it out of the sheet). I do like the idea quite a lot, so I hope you can work it all out.

Edited the Character Sheet. Hopefully the King's behavior can make up for the magical talents.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 17, 2014, 03:11:50 am »

Edited the Character Sheet. Hopefully the King's behavior can make up for the magical talents.

I... suppose it does. It should be an interesting sheet to work with, though now you seem to have 10 flaws rather than the theoretically appropriate 7. You can keep it the way it is and I'll power up your magical abilities when you get in, or change it if you wish.

Kaferian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 17, 2014, 11:27:49 am »

I... suppose it does. It should be an interesting sheet to work with, though now you seem to have 10 flaws rather than the theoretically appropriate 7. You can keep it the way it is and I'll power up your magical abilities when you get in, or change it if you wish.
I actually thought Cuhullin's magical powers were a wee bit on the side of overpowered. I mean, being able to reverse causality and grant himself mini-blessing/curses is pretty goddamn amazing. In order to counteract Cuhullin's little body modifications, I made so that the King believes Cuhullin is cheating his way out of the miracle system and willingly fucks with him in order to make Cuhullin learn why "Cheaters Never Prosper". Totally not due to the fact that he's actually bored. Nope. The Unstoppable Willpower is pretty powerful too as it allows Cuhullin to not be affected by exhaustion and mind magics. It's basically a highly developed form of Mind Over Matter.

EDIT: Although, giving Cuhullin a riarstrad/warp spasm could be entertaining.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 11:32:19 am by Kaferian »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 17, 2014, 11:41:17 am »

I actually thought Cuhullin's magical powers were a wee bit on the side of overpowered. I mean, being able to reverse causality and grant himself mini-blessing/curses is pretty goddamn amazing. In order to counteract Cuhullin's little body modifications, I made so that the King believes Cuhullin is cheating his way out of the miracle system and willingly fucks with him in order to make Cuhullin learn why "Cheaters Never Prosper". Totally not due to the fact that he's actually bored. Nope. The Unstoppable Willpower is pretty powerful too as it allows Cuhullin to not be affected by exhaustion and mind magics. It's basically a highly developed form of Mind Over Matter.

EDIT: Although, giving Cuhullin a riarstrad/warp spasm could be entertaining.

By "power up", I mostly meant "not balance to a significant degree". So he'd get all the benefits as described without much editing, so to speak, overpowered as they are. If that's agreeable, well, that's that! Your sheet is accepted.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 17, 2014, 12:45:44 pm »

Edwin stretches again, looking around him and at the gnomestone beneath his feet.

"Ah crap, I've got a bad feeling about this road. But surely the great and merciful Orange Pekoe wouldn't send his prophet towards certain doom just because I yelled a bit at him..."

Edwin slouches a little and starts walking on with his well trained old man gait, changing his voice back to that of a frail old man.

"Oh dear, oh dear."

Follow the Yellow brick road Gnomestone path. Try and be cautious and look around me at all times.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 18, 2014, 05:51:22 am »

”Erm, I be sorry thar, but I don’t be understanding, you see, I weren’t brought up correct to understand when people speak proper like what they do down here in the south. Can you be repeating yourself a bit slower, like? We three be merely humble pilgrims on our way through this fair town to the southern mountainous mountains, and don’t be meaning no harm.”

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of a Deity: Turn 12, the Basics of Southern Communication
« Reply #203 on: August 21, 2014, 05:46:21 am »

Turn 12, the Basics of Southern Communication

Emilia decides not to make the mistakes of Ziph and Erta, and goes ahead to look for a pole to make exploration safer, stepping over to the ruined facade of the destroyed house. On the surface, she can't quite find anything, and so she moves in further and further, trying to pull various bits of debris out, but none of the larger ones seem to budge in a particularly helpful way. She keeps looking through the ruins until she becomes aware of something. A bird of a size comparable to that of a large raven, and similar in the general proportions of its body, but altogether more colorful, with bits of yellow mixed in with the black. It appears to be staring at her, bent forward, and stamping its scaly feet on the half-ruined perch it is standing on. Emilia tilts her head at it reflexively, and this seems to tick the bird off somehow, as it instantly swoops toward her.

"WELCOME-TO-YUNGOR!" it screeches rapidly in an oddly humanoid voice as it descends toward Emilia, but she, fortunately, has not gotten this far without quick reflexes, and simply punches the bird out of the air as it draws close, sending it flying off to the side, tumbling over the ground while flapping its wings, then taking off lopsidedly, seemingly both sufficiently dazed and injured to try and flee. It attempts to fly away, only to veer close to the carriage in its flight. Reen, seemingly half out of instinct, puts her arms out and catches the bird mid-flight right before it would have flown but a foot or so overhead, placing it down on the top of the carriage and stomping on its head until it moves no more.

"I found dinner!" she yells out triumphantly, and the entire carriage seems to brighten up at the mention of fresh meat, even Erta to a very minor degree.

Edwin, hoping that this gnomestone path does not somehow lead to his death, served courtesy of Orange Pekoe at the hands of some malevolent gnomish ghosts or some other form of vile creature, assumes frail old man mode again, considering that he is nearing civilization, even if it is an extinct civilization, once more, at follows the black path southward, or what he guesses is southward.

Over the next few days of travel, the path takes him along a great many twists and turns, past small hills and over slight valleys, and nowhere, peculiarly enough, does it seem very overgrown or poorly-maintained. If he did not know any better, he would almost say he's gone back to a strange time, a time when the gnomes still lived and humans had not even settled in this area, and as he proceeds along the path, he encounters a strange sight at last - a small fork in the road, where the gnomestone path veers in two directions. One seems to lead toward a gnomestone foundation, but not an empty one - in fact, it seems to have been built upon most interestingly, with a massive wooden construction taking up every bit of it, with tall walls similar to that of a fort made from wood of the surrounding swamp.

And what's more, there's people there. One can only see their heads in the various windows, curiously gazing at Edwin as he passes along the road, eyes full of innocence and interest in the old man approaching them. Their heads look a little strange, somewhat foreign in looks, but in Allochthon such a thing sometimes has to be expected.

Derek knows the secret of communicating with people of foreign dialects - it is not to converse louder and clearer in your own language, but to ask them to speak slower and more understandably for poor travelers like himself.

"Erm, I be sorry thar, but I don’t be understanding, you see, I weren’t brought up correct to understand when people speak proper like what they do down here in the south. Can you be repeating yourself a bit slower, like? We three be merely humble pilgrims on our way through this fair town to the southern mountainous mountains, and don’t be meaning no harm."

The guards don't quite seem to be getting his rather poorly-executed attempt at a very near-Southern dialect with a tinge of far-Southeast, and merely shake their heads and gesture very expressively in response, the context of the gestures peculiar and alien to a man more familiar with the western and northern varieties of dialect found along the banks of the Phibe.

Fortunately, Ehran comes to the rescue, saying something absolutely incomprehensible to the guards with an addition of very confusing gestures that Derek finds frankly suggestive, but the guards seem to have extracted something subtly meaningful from this somehow, and start nodding along and making gestures of their own, and then let the group pass right through.

"See, the dialect is not being so much about the talking and the wording, but more about the gesturing, and the spirit behind it, yeah?" Ehran says as they walk deeper inside. "I dunno what they were wanting from us, 'zactly, but the way they be talking here is more 'bout gists and implying things, far as I know," he explains further. "I was once all being in a market 'round these parts when I was but a lad, and it was real fun to be buying things around here. It's real helpful to be a bit drunk here, goes without saying."

Sweetie laughs and pats Ehran on the head, who beams back at her. Derek looks around the interior of Bellstarae - a rather prosperous place, all things considered, although the masses of people present seem to be quite immense, and if one looks at them hard enough, one can perceive a certain tinge of desperation about them as well.

Spoiler: MP Tracker (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 05:48:33 am by Harry Baldman »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 21, 2014, 09:10:07 am »

Keep doing the same, with just as much care.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 21, 2014, 09:36:35 am »

"Oh dear oh dear, it seems that I'm intruding." Edwin says in his weakest old man voice. "Hello there, friends! I was just following this here path and it seems like I've become rather lost. Would any of you care to tell an old man what this place is?"

Keep up the old man charade. Approach the structure with my hands behind my back and with the patented old man gait. Smile warmly as I say the above.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 21, 2014, 09:46:49 am »

"Oh dear oh dear, it seems that I'm intruding." Edwin says in his weakest old man voice. "Hello there, friends! I was just following this here path and it seems like I've become rather lost. Would any of you care to tell an old man what this place is?"

Keep up the old man charade. Approach the structure with my hands behind my back and with the patented old man gait. Smile warmly as I say the above.

The curious heads quickly disappear from the windows, and a rather large wooden gate at the edge of the foundation that the gnomestone steps seem to lead to opens up, revealing a man, full-height and rather distraught, wearing a very disorderly robe, who wastes no time running toward you, inspecting your form while babbling politely in an unknown language.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 21, 2014, 09:59:56 am »

Edwin simply smiles at the man, letting him inspect all he wishes. He speaks slowly and tries to articulate well.

"My apologies, dear man, I did not mean to scare your friends. I don't quite understand what you are saying, however. Do you happen to speak my language?"

This is going to be the orc all over again, he thinks to himself.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 21, 2014, 12:08:41 pm »

Edwin simply smiles at the man, letting him inspect all he wishes. He speaks slowly and tries to articulate well.

"My apologies, dear man, I did not mean to scare your friends. I don't quite understand what you are saying, however. Do you happen to speak my language?"

This is going to be the orc all over again, he thinks to himself.

"Little bit. Little bit," he says. "Am a trader. Need to speak many languages. Rest do not speak as well as I do. Have you things to trade? Tales to tell?"

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 21, 2014, 12:17:14 pm »

"Ah" Edwin says, smiling still "I'm afraid I don't have anything to trade, but I'm sure we could share a story over a nice cup of tea. I've travelled quite a ways and I know a few amusing tales. Would you mind telling me who these 'others' are?"
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21