Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41

Author Topic: ☼Kobolds☼ - Everything Kobold Mode  (Read 103872 times)

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the Cutebold Overlords
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Kobolds☼ - Everything Kobold Mode
« Reply #585 on: October 31, 2016, 12:12:36 pm »

I don't understand, how do I steal from other races? Also, where is the Totem? And finally, how am I suppose to make pots for workshops? Am I suppose to go mining for metal?

Stealing is currently not implemented for the latest release of Masterwork due to the need for DFhack to be updated, (4-5 more months last I recall?).

Totem is in the Furnace menu, and requires Totems to build.

Clay, sand, bone and wood can be used to make pots.
Clay shaper and Kiln for 3 varieties of clay pots. (These need Glazing for liquids)
Glass Furnace can make 3 varieties of glass pots.
Bone chipper to make Bone pots. (Need glazing for liquids)
Wood Carver for making wood pots.

Personally I start with bone, then move to Glass when I set up industry.

Kobolds are by default unable to mine due to them having no access to picks. You can access Shovels by checking the option on the Kobold Tab of the Masterwork Launcher (third from the right hand side of the list). This way you can dig anything. However you can also check 'Stone Undiggable', to make kobolds ONLY able to dig Dirt/sand/clay, as well as Gems, and Cobalt ore veins.

Personally I turn Shovels on, but to keep the flavour, I do not let Kobolds dig. Instead I boost my point count up just enough to buy an Ogre, and have only my Non-kobold fort members allowed to dig. Kobolds can still work ore, as they do have a snoot for what makes ore good/bad (like their mythology states), however they are just not strong enough to get it out the ground themselves.

However, currently there is a bit of a bug for kobolds, as Meph has made it impossible for kobolds to gain access to an anvil. Anvil reactions are taken out of the Smelter, and of course you need an anvil to create a Metalsmith forge. Also it is currently impossible for caravans to bring anvils along with them for some reason, I believe related to how Kobolds are not supposed to have access to ores other than cobalt, which can not be used as an Anvil. If you want to metalsmith you have to DFhack an anvil in as far as I know.

Sponge

• Bay Watcher
  • I like wearing shoes on both of my feet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: October 31, 2016, 02:08:25 pm »

I don't understand, how do I steal from other races? Also, where is the Totem? And finally, how am I suppose to make pots for workshops? Am I suppose to go mining for metal?

Stealing is currently not implemented for the latest release of Masterwork due to the need for DFhack to be updated, (4-5 more months last I recall?).

Totem is in the Furnace menu, and requires Totems to build.

Clay, sand, bone and wood can be used to make pots.
Clay shaper and Kiln for 3 varieties of clay pots. (These need Glazing for liquids)
Glass Furnace can make 3 varieties of glass pots.
Bone chipper to make Bone pots. (Need glazing for liquids)
Wood Carver for making wood pots.

Personally I start with bone, then move to Glass when I set up industry.

Kobolds are by default unable to mine due to them having no access to picks. You can access Shovels by checking the option on the Kobold Tab of the Masterwork Launcher (third from the right hand side of the list). This way you can dig anything. However you can also check 'Stone Undiggable', to make kobolds ONLY able to dig Dirt/sand/clay, as well as Gems, and Cobalt ore veins.

Personally I turn Shovels on, but to keep the flavour, I do not let Kobolds dig. Instead I boost my point count up just enough to buy an Ogre, and have only my Non-kobold fort members allowed to dig. Kobolds can still work ore, as they do have a snoot for what makes ore good/bad (like their mythology states), however they are just not strong enough to get it out the ground themselves.

However, currently there is a bit of a bug for kobolds, as Meph has made it impossible for kobolds to gain access to an anvil. Anvil reactions are taken out of the Smelter, and of course you need an anvil to create a Metalsmith forge. Also it is currently impossible for caravans to bring anvils along with them for some reason, I believe related to how Kobolds are not supposed to have access to ores other than cobalt, which can not be used as an Anvil. If you want to metalsmith you have to DFhack an anvil in as far as I know.
Wow, thanks! That's very informative. Just a few extra questions. Do shovels still break? And what races do you usually have on when you play as kobolds? I can't decide. 
I like wearing shoes on both of my feet.

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the Cutebold Overlords
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: November 01, 2016, 01:58:58 am »

Wow, thanks! That's very informative. Just a few extra questions. Do shovels still break? And what races do you usually have on when you play as kobolds? I can't decide.

Shovels do not break, as far as I know in this version.

AS for the races I like to have on with kobolds? Its kinda random, depending on what sorta map I want. Remember that the races will be evenly divided up among the Civ limit for the map. You REALLY want to play on small maps as well, or else your fort will not have as much FUN that arrives at your doorstep. Ones that I would NOT reccomend would be the following, since I'm assuming you are at least a Kobold Beginner. Also take into account I'm much more a 'turtle' style player, that likes to hide behind the walls, and mountains of weapon traps, with small retinues of Archers/blowgunners.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And thats all I can input on the matter. I'm not an expert myself having only played for like, 3 years. Take everything I say with a grain of salt, and do know that with Meph's weekly updates, alot of the info I told you MAY be subject to changes, and may be outright false due to my own misinterpretation of the data from my play time.

With that, Have fun brave Kobold!

Sponge

• Bay Watcher
  • I like wearing shoes on both of my feet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: November 01, 2016, 07:48:40 am »

Shovels do not break, as far as I know in this version.

AS for the races I like to have on with kobolds? Its kinda random, depending on what sorta map I want. Remember that the races will be evenly divided up among the Civ limit for the map. You REALLY want to play on small maps as well, or else your fort will not have as much FUN that arrives at your doorstep. Ones that I would NOT reccomend would be the following, since I'm assuming you are at least a Kobold Beginner. Also take into account I'm much more a 'turtle' style player, that likes to hide behind the walls, and mountains of weapon traps, with small retinues of Archers/blowgunners.

And thats all I can input on the matter. I'm not an expert myself having only played for like, 3 years. Take everything I say with a grain of salt, and do know that with Meph's weekly updates, alot of the info I told you MAY be subject to changes, and may be outright false due to my own misinterpretation of the data from my play time.

With that, Have fun brave Kobold!
Wow! Thanks! This will help a lot!
I like wearing shoes on both of my feet.

fedobear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: November 04, 2016, 07:21:42 am »

Does anybody else have the issue with job cancellation spam for the shalswar?
"Stray Shalswar (Tame) cancels Fish: Too injured."
I am playing 1.20 Masterwork Kobolds, just started the fort.
I'm pretty sure that when the kobold pets were revised, that pet fishing duties were moved from fisher gremlins to shalswars, however the error message involved doesn't necessarily trigger when the creature is injured (contrary to intuition), but it triggers when a creature lacks the limbs and grasping necessary to fish, wether it no longer has them due to injuries/amputation or because it just wasn't born with them. At least, this is based on my limited understanding from past forts.

So basically now I'd like to just disable fishing labor on shalswars, but I don't know how to do that.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: November 04, 2016, 06:25:01 pm »

Is this the place for funny things that occur? If not, then tell me :P

Didn't know this kobold was a hindu deity.

A set of twins and triplets. One after another. Honestly, I have no idea how she's able to hold onto that many babies :P
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 08:49:53 am by Iceblaster »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: November 05, 2016, 05:50:22 am »

Is this the place for funy things that occur? If not, then tell me :P

Didn't know this kobold was a hindu deity.

A set of twins and triplets. One after another. Honestly, I have no idea how she's able to hold onto that many babies :P

The babies are VERY small.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: November 05, 2016, 08:47:44 am »

How big are they? Because I don't recall seeing even a number on the kobold's description for size. I know they're smaller than dwarves though :P

EDIT: Also! How do you work the clay shaper? I've collected clay and it's in a stockpile, but yet the make earthenware option is still blank.

If it helps, the thing I get when I use the collect clay work in the kiln is 'Sandy Clay.'
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 10:04:15 am by Iceblaster »

fedobear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: November 06, 2016, 04:45:09 pm »

How big are they? Because I don't recall seeing even a number on the kobold's description for size. I know they're smaller than dwarves though :P

EDIT: Also! How do you work the clay shaper? I've collected clay and it's in a stockpile, but yet the make earthenware option is still blank.

If it helps, the thing I get when I use the collect clay work in the kiln is 'Sandy Clay.'

it is very useful to include the last detail, because I am also running into the same problem. I think that unfortunately in the current version you can't make things out of 'sandy clay'. It's a subtype of clay but it doesn't have the properties needed to form proper items without cracking (if you need a in-character explanation)

see this post
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138896.msg7183100;topicseen#msg7183100
a few posts below it, the process is described on how you can make other types of not-quite-clay soiltypes work for you.
tl;dr if you use the win explorer search bar in the dwarf fortress folder you get two instances of reaction_dwarf_civ.txt, one in your save folder and one somewhere else. You need to edit these. I didn't know which one so I did both. At the very bottom of the text file there's a bunch of reactions involving different types of soil. For each, look for the line [BUILDING:something (I forgot what was here)] and replace it with [BUILDING:BRICKOVEN_KOBOLD:NONE]. Do this when DF is not running. Save and start up DF again. The reactions are now under the clay shaper (I think).
It won't make sandy clay be able to separate into sand and clay, but it will allow you to turn silty loam into clay, and a bunch of other soils that might be on your map.  You could add a new entry the the reaction_dwarf_civ.txt by copying a block of text and replacing the keywords with sandy_clay but it won't work, only if you gen a new world (I might have screwed up tho, test for yourself).

Otherwise you can always crank up the trader demand for clay, fire clay and kaolinite to max and hope for the best.

Good luck

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: November 06, 2016, 06:08:36 pm »

Alright, thanks! I will have to remember that. Was hoping I'd be able to use it even if it'd be a longer production tree. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: I can't believe I didn't notice the solution I needed was on the last page.

I am blind apparently. I read all these threads for the most part :v
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 06:14:16 pm by Iceblaster »

Brutaka001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: January 21, 2017, 03:34:50 am »

Based on the visual and the description in the Manual, I would say that these Kobolds CLOSELY resemble that of DnD Kobolds:   
  • "Kobolds are short, reptilian humanoids with bony frames and small tails. They stand approximately 2 to 2-1/2 feet tall and weigh 35 to 45 pounds. Sinewy, double-jointed legs, naturally bent and poised for sudden speed, contribute to their height."

The only things different between this and DnD Kobolds is that 1.) Kobolds here are more of a stone-age race in comparison. 2.) Kobolds in DnD play more trap heavy (like gnomes here).

This is usually my Kobold base layout, from a side view.

• I usually try to find a spot in my worlds with a low elevation surrounded by high cliffs.
  • If i get the resources and time to, I build some of trapped entrance that is hidden inside the rocks and layers at the cliff tops.
  • The dungeon here is usually a maze of tunnels and rooms that I have rigged to release caged hostile animals for anyone the delves into it. A door is at the bottom that stays unlocked while the doors in the actual entrances stay locked during sieges. That way, even without traps per say, a siege is worn down enough to be ambushed by dart-wielders.
  • Here is where my warriors, dart-blowers, and animal trainers sleep and train. By Dire-Weasel, I have a tendency to capture and train Dire-Weasels and train them for war. I haven't figured out if they can be mounted by Kobolds yet but if so, OMG.
  • I tend to see the tiny reptilian Kobolds as an egg-laying race, even if they give live-birth in game. This is basically where the families with young children are moved to keep a better eye on them. Also families of important Roles live here (leatherworkers, tanners, Bone-carvers, Trapmakers, etc.). Kurtulmak was the deity of kobolds in DnD,thus the reference.
  • This is where I'll place channeled springs and pools of water for drinking and swimming if time and resources allow.
  • If enemies do somehow gain entrance to the fort, the normal entrances to the temple I lock, and open this one. Basically a heavily trapped entrance filled with more caged baddies. My kobolds usually have a safe room in this area that is guarded by at least 2 squads during sieges, again if time allows.
  • This is usually where any uncovered ore is stored and melted down for later use. Simple to maintain.
  • The common room is basically where the kitchen, food storage, dining area is usually placed. Branching off of this is where i place my underground farms, mostly for food stuffs.
  • Mines: self explanatory.
[li]

To achieve this, obviously, I enable my kobolds to use pick axes to better resemble to kobolds in DnD. The attached pic is from the DnD book "Races of the Dragon" for 3.5e. This is basically what I get my Kobold inspiration from and tend to live by here. Every fort I try to resemble this in some way to better survive the huge and hostile outside world that is MDF.[/li][/list][/list]

Dookmiester

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ferrets for their weasel war dances.
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: January 21, 2017, 04:33:44 pm »

Like to imagine my bolds more like the typical asian interpretation. Dragon Nest's are spot on as my head cannon when cutebolds are in war mode.

Remember masterwork was going for the more reptilian type but canned egg laying as it was being a real stinker to get working/manage or something like that.

Like the simple and primitive styling. Always wanted to do a surface leather tent & bone wall village, but legacy's bs with spawns made that impossible #fuckgiantgargoyles. I avoided playing gnomes like the plague. I'm not down for elaborate traps. Just quick and dirty. 10 stack of bone serrated traps would chew anything up. Embark near a cave and cage trap the pathway up. Whatever climbs up we war tame and send to the front lines to tackle trap avoiders. Giant cave spiders were amazing at that.

Only major beef was the air caste's supposed "intentional" permanent slow crawl after vanishing when startled.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 04:35:42 pm by Dookmiester »

Brutaka001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: January 23, 2017, 06:19:20 am »

Like to imagine my bolds more like the typical asian interpretation. Dragon Nest's are spot on as my head cannon when cutebolds are in war mode.

Man those bolds are nightmare fuel when angry. totally love them tho lol. Honestly i have never actually tried to build a surface fort on ANY race. Maybe i'll try it with the cutebolds.

ElderDays

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: February 06, 2017, 09:06:43 am »

Trying out MW for the first time but I'm having trouble with embarking equipment. When I try to select my starting gear the only thing available are pets. There are no tool or other items. Did I do something wrong during instillation?

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: February 07, 2017, 09:36:54 am »

Trying out MW for the first time but I'm having trouble with embarking equipment. When I try to select my starting gear the only thing available are pets. There are no tool or other items. Did I do something wrong during instillation?

Assuming you did a fresh install into an empty folder, everything should be fine. (You don't need a working copy of the vanilla game for Masterwork to run.)

If installation isn't the case, how old is the world? Civs can only contribute resources for an embark if they've discovered them during world-gen. It's not uncommon for vanilla dwarves to get stuck in the bronze age just because there wasn't any iron in the mountain they've settled.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41