Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 92

Author Topic: ☼Dwarves☼ - Everything Dwarf Mode  (Read 203364 times)

shaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Dwarves☼ - Everything Dwarf Mode
« Reply #780 on: August 10, 2014, 12:29:24 am »

I think I might be using the embarks incorrectly.

I generated a sandbox world, and then chose the sandbox embark profile. It had things like 10 copper cages and a bunch of breastplates and so forth, and also wanted to buy a lot of other stuff:

I'm using a fresh V6 install, with research and a couple of other things turned off. Could any of that cause the embark profiles to get confused? Am I supposed to crank up the point values to huge amounts?

banita

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: August 10, 2014, 03:58:22 am »

I've got a weird situaton. Embarked in V6 world as dwarves (used 2x speed)
First caravan came from mountainhome and they were unloading good for whole time and when time passed they run away :( (Couldn't even trade with them)

Someone got similar problem?

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: August 10, 2014, 06:35:12 am »

@banita: that's perfectly 'normal'.
The time they take to unload is in game 'tick', but the time they stay is in days (or months), so lowering the 'tick' per day results in odd things like that, if they had a lot to unload.
In my 1/8 game, they stay a very long time.

I guess I could be wrong, but I think that the game has two different 'time' lines, and altering the speed of one can cause weird things like that.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #783 on: August 10, 2014, 06:56:24 am »

shaver: I am fairly certain that the GUI settings for embark points overwrite the settings in the worldgen, so the starters world has just as many points as any other... but you can change it in the GUI, first page, and get as many points as you like, even more than 10.000.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: August 10, 2014, 06:58:32 am »

When I've seen the unloading message (running at 2x speed with v6) it's been because the wagons were still dodging trees on the way in. If it takes them a long time to get there, you don't have much time to trade sometimes. Also, things like a trader getting injured or killed by a thief (I had an orc thief one-shot a trader while stealthed recently, even though the trader's guards immediately whacked him) can make them refuse to trade. (or accidentally stealing from them by unforbidding something of theirs.)

Unless you piss them off a lot, they will be back next year. You might make them a nice straight road from your trade center to the nearest map edge to speed up those wagons. Or even take them into a tunnel as soon as they come in and close it behind them to keep out thieves. Just remember to open it when they are ready to leave!

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: August 10, 2014, 07:35:00 am »

I'm not 100% sure what affect roads have on incoming caravans (I'd expect, if there is anything planned at all, it is probably nothing at the moment).

I tend to create a specific path from depot to nearest map edge and line it with wall-gap-gap-wall (also building a road on it but that's just to prevent trees from popping up). Because wagons need 3-tile-wide spaces to path through, this renders everything outside that path "depot inaccessible" so it forces the wagons to spawn (and exit) in a predetermined location. If your location is light on trees, the last five tiles from the map edge can be problematic, since you're blocked from building constructions that close, but in the past I've used raised bridges to the same effect. I've never tried it, but I guess you could also use a ramped pit to that effect, provided you can ramp close enough to the map edge to prevent wagons from spawning in other places, while still allowing wagons to spawn at/on the ramp (which may not actually be possible because of how wagons move, I'd have to try it to be sure).

Incidentally, when the traders leave they will head to the nearest accessible map edge from the point of the depot... which is not necessarily the nearest map edge from your fort's "entrance." For example, if your depot is on the south-ish side of the map, but surface entrance is at the north, traders will head to the surface then loop back south to exit at that map edge. Wagons still obey their movement rules so if you forced them to enter from some location, they'll probably exit from the same location, but the pack animal traders will take their own way out - which can be problematic if you're dealing with possible ambushers, since the whole point on controlling how they enter and exit the map is to make it easier to protect them or keep the path clear of ambushers.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #786 on: August 10, 2014, 07:56:17 am »

Yeah, I do that all the time as well, see the tutorial fort. It has a nice road + entrance for caravans as well, but still leaves invaders in.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: August 10, 2014, 10:41:29 am »

Hey guys. i built a metalurgist's forge and i got myself some wolfram bars but when i decided to try to make pattern welded wolfram i couldn't find it in the menu. Not even a red version.

so how do i make patter welded wolfram?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #788 on: August 10, 2014, 10:45:27 am »

It has been removed several version ago.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: August 10, 2014, 11:55:13 am »

I just accidentaly found a way to secure caravan path without looking for it.
It's a bit cheaty, because it relies on dfhack's additions to the building placement, so feel free to not use it.

Basically, when you enable 'b'ox mode for walls and place the first point at a buildable spot, you can then place the second in the normally unbuildable zone, up to the border itself.

I use it for two setups:
1/ caravan entrance, totally cut from the rest of the map, complete with ceiling and two bridges to sceal the depot.

2/ Two entrances to my fort, cutting the map in 3, forcing both animals and invaders in pathes where I can setup cages, traps, military, scarecrows, you name it.

It is borderline cheating (or plain cheating, depending on if you consider using the tools at disposal fair or not), but for people like me that tend to get overwelmed by everything there is to do, it helps by making your entrances and overall map safer for your population.

Also, for forts that have access to a decent supply of leather, having all the workers that are suceptible to go outside clad in padded leather and giving them a cheap weapon makes their survivability go up by a lot in the early/mid game.

Last tip: once you get past 15-20 population, try to specialize all you can through castes, the experience bonus will make them all that much usefull in a short time.

Those are just generic things I picked up from my last fort, in hope it helps.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #790 on: August 10, 2014, 12:28:19 pm »

That can easily by done with bridges in vanilla... no dfhack needed, you just build bridges on the map edge and raise them.

Elfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: August 10, 2014, 12:55:24 pm »

Last tip: once you get past 15-20 population, try to specialize all you can through castes, the experience bonus will make them all that much usefull in a short time.
There is one thing to be aware of though. Physical attributes do matter, and switching caste generates new set of them at random. Which means that your physically exceptional dwarves would probably be of more use as they are. Useless ones though are perfect candidates.

shaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: August 10, 2014, 12:56:54 pm »

shaver: I am fairly certain that the GUI settings for embark points overwrite the settings in the worldgen, so the starters world has just as many points as any other... but you can change it in the GUI, first page, and get as many points as you like, even more than 10.000.

OK, I wasn't sure if the embarks were designed for more points or not. Thanks.

lurtze1

• Bay Watcher
  • Worshipper of the god of total chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: August 12, 2014, 03:56:47 pm »

I have always wondered what the recommended settings for this mod is for dwarf mode in particular. Does anyone have an answer

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #794 on: August 12, 2014, 04:03:29 pm »

I have always wondered what the recommended settings for this mod is for dwarf mode in particular. Does anyone have an answer
The ones already set, default settings.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 92