Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 92

Author Topic: ☼Dwarves☼ - Everything Dwarf Mode  (Read 203332 times)

lurtze1

• Bay Watcher
  • Worshipper of the god of total chaos
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Dwarves☼ - Everything Dwarf Mode
« Reply #795 on: August 12, 2014, 04:36:11 pm »

Another question, is it normal for in the Geomagic world gen to have no plump helmet spawn on embark? Like you cannot embark with the spawn or normal plump helmets

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: August 12, 2014, 05:40:30 pm »

Might be, AFAIK the pregen worlds are all fixed (not only specific seeds but the maps are drawn). If the civ doesn't have subterranean water then it won't have a biome that plump helmets can spawn it so they aren't offered. And, in theory, no amount of regenning would ever spawn a world where they do.

Caveats: I don't know how the fixed seeds/drawn maps affect caverns... ostensibly, if the geometry seed is fixed then the caverns and biomes should always be the same. A longer world gen might also bring the biome into its territory, presuming the civ actually acquires new territory.

lurtze1

• Bay Watcher
  • Worshipper of the god of total chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: August 13, 2014, 04:25:07 am »

Will try changing the seeds like a bit. Will come back with results

Edit: didn't work, made world with only centaurs and dwarfs.

Edit2: changing cavern water to min45 and max75 seemded to work, might just be a fluke but I am happy
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 04:33:08 am by lurtze1 »

kreepergrimms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: August 13, 2014, 11:24:32 pm »

theres a possible bug in the game... i know meph reworked the merchant stalls to make way for the human update and such... i noticed just now that in olon's culinary wonders stall you can still sell raw fish for 500 sovereigns

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: August 14, 2014, 04:34:06 am »

Am I crazy, or did the reactions that use Blood of Armok and Tears of Armok are gone from the Alchemists Workshop?

Can someone else confirm this, make sure it's not just me?

Edit: Never mind, I'm just crazy.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 04:47:13 am by moseythepirate »
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: August 14, 2014, 06:36:23 pm »

The below is all over the current manual in the Dwarf section. But I don't think it's true any longer, is it? I sure can't find the option on the furnaces so listed.

"As with all magma furnaces, you can fill magmabottles here. These are used in the spawn location to create liquid magma, for moats or traps."

esperandus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: August 16, 2014, 12:34:31 am »

Awesome Mod!

Ir brings DF to a new level.  Makes it hard to play vanilla ....

Quick Question for Masterwork veterans: Can you get your mages to shoot missiles? I sure cant.

Disclaimers: Im experienced-ish at df, can get my standard archers working just fine, when and if I want to. But my mages refuse to use any magic missle.

Im not quite up to the level of troubleshooting RAWs; however, I did test the mages in the Arena. There appear to be more than one kind of magic missle, and also mage staff. I can get them to fire missiles using one kind, but the second kind they simply use to bludgeon each other. I am wondering if there is something slightly off with the missiles? if other people are able to get the mages to fire using this version, then that would disprove my theory :)

If they work in the new version, I will simply upgrade once I my fort Dies FPS death.

Also, I managed to get a fire mage to transform a changeling into a familiar. Unfortunately, it immediately burned up and bled to death. Not sure why, but reporting the issue as it stands.

Overall, huge amount of value, and almost no bugs for the complexity. Respect!

V5.1 ,

Prats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: August 16, 2014, 08:23:27 am »

So what are correspond pets for Dwarves now? I didn't play Masterwork for a year,so everything for me is new, can't find it in manual.
Cats=?, Hens=?, Turkey=?

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: August 16, 2014, 08:40:35 am »

I think most "missiles" are the result of something else than a ranged weapon, so it's way trickier to get them working when you want, and even worse for specific targetting.

If I'm not mistaken, there are also ranged weapons for mages (depending on the race, like dwarve's staves) that can shoot specialized ammo.

I never really went into mages (yet), so I'm no expert at it, but that's what I understood from them.

@Prats: The 'pets' section of the dwarves cover this pretty well, but here are a few.
* Cats: search for "vermin" in the page.
Frill lizards are cheap, leatherwing bats can give free leather by shearing them, moleweasels are twice as fast, so they can be better at finding hidden units. Plump helmets are closer to cats in that they also have an annoying part to them (cats addopt, plump helmets are a bit different).

* Hens/Turkey: search for "egg".
Genie and boulder crabs are special cases (flux stone and random items as eggs), but any other egg laying is basically a poultry.

Again, the manual covers this pretty well, telling you what can be milked, sheared, what hunts vermin, what lays eggs...
The names change, the animals are a bit different, but there are the same basic functions for each race.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: August 16, 2014, 08:44:40 am »

There really isn't any equivalent to hens/turkeys because everything lays way, way less eggs.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: August 16, 2014, 08:54:50 am »

with Harder farming, everything lays less eggs, even hens/turkeys (if you buy them from caravans, or play humans).
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.

Elfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: August 16, 2014, 12:29:41 pm »

Quick Question for Masterwork veterans: Can you get your mages to shoot missiles? I sure cant.
Air mage shoots missiles without problem in 4j. You need to make them first though. And equip them as ammo. And use staff as a weapon. And they somehow counts as "missiles" not "magical missiles" in ammunition assignment interface. And as usual all military is quirky, so your mage might be reluctant to pick his equipment up. But after it is all set, it works. Can't say how effective it is though. Since I trained my mage NO hostiles come to my fort at all. :(

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: August 16, 2014, 02:00:46 pm »

Dwarf-specific ideas because you mentioned in the poll thread that you were at a loss of how to go about it:

A way to manufacture the Tears, Blood, Bones, and Breath of Armok gems by fusing large amounts of specific stone types together with a large cut-gem at a special furnace with prayer. The Tear could require sedimentary stones like claystone and mudstone, the Blood with especially volcanic stones like obsidian and basalt, the Bone would need heavy rocks like cinnabar and pitchblende, while the Breath would need light stones like talc and jet. Fusing would be extremely expensive and have low chances of success, but it would give dwarves an ability none of the other races do.

Chaining off of this: A way to forge holy weapons and armor incorporating the Armok gems for special powers. Tear-based equipment would have a fixed temperature just above cold-damaging and be steel-grade, protecting the wearer of such armor against heat-based attacks. The Blood by contrast would be a steel-grade metal of burning fixed temperature, being very dangerous to handle but incredibly powerful in properly-protected hands. Finally, the Bone would grant supernaturally strong equipment, basically dreadnought for dwarves while only being as light as aluminum.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 02:03:55 pm by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: August 17, 2014, 08:37:27 pm »

Dwarf-specific ideas because you mentioned in the poll thread that you were at a loss of how to go about it:

A way to manufacture the Tears, Blood, Bones, and Breath of Armok gems by fusing large amounts of specific stone types together with a large cut-gem at a special furnace with prayer. The Tear could require sedimentary stones like claystone and mudstone, the Blood with especially volcanic stones like obsidian and basalt, the Bone would need heavy rocks like cinnabar and pitchblende, while the Breath would need light stones like talc and jet. Fusing would be extremely expensive and have low chances of success, but it would give dwarves an ability none of the other races do.
It's not a terrible idea; however, you can always just buy them at one of the shops. Unfortunately, Blood and Tear of Armok are a heck of a lot more of a pain in the ass to use than they were in the previous release; you can only produce magma (as a dwarf) with the Magma Trap building, which produces the magma the level ABOVE the trap, and it often produces spillage on the level above that. In other words: it's fine, if you don't mind flooding your fortress. This isn't a big deal for magma-immune succubi and warlock skeletons, of course.

It used to be that you could produce magma with a changeling and a Blood of Armok safely and without trouble. Alas, gone are those days.
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: August 18, 2014, 10:25:48 am »

Wait, magmalings no longer exist?

Well, at least I know that before trying to get one, but it's sad news.
Those beasts sounded so amazing, compared to the lacking magma well.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 92