Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 92

Author Topic: ☼Dwarves☼ - Everything Dwarf Mode  (Read 203296 times)

Elfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Dwarves☼ - Everything Dwarf Mode
« Reply #705 on: August 04, 2014, 05:35:49 pm »

Hopefully this is the right place for this: I'm playing with the additional flora/fauna plugin activated, on a badland embark. What are the utility of barrel cacti? I can barrel-process them for water, which seems useful, but will the dwarves actually use that for anything water-related: e.g., pouring it into a bucket to give to a patient / clean a patient /etc.? I can cook the seeds, sure, but I'd rather not be stuck with a bunch of barrels of water (sounds like problem you'd want to have, in a desert).

Any help would be much appreciated!
Can't say about cacti specifically, but pressing water from quarry bush leaves was a lifesaver on waterless site! Dwarves did actually use that water.

Ogamaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: August 04, 2014, 11:04:32 pm »

Is there currently a way to obtain deep bronze as dwarves?

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: August 04, 2014, 11:24:28 pm »

Is there something special you have to do to get the magmaling/waterling reactions to show up in the alchemist?  I have magma discovered... were they moved from there or something?  The manual says I should be able to do it there, but the only gem reaction i'm seeing is to create metal from bones of armok.  Sucks cuz I was counting on it for lava this time :(

Secondly, I noticed this before like a year ago, and since picking DF back up I was surprised to see it happening again - I thought it was some sort of one-off bug, but apparently not.  2 times I've started fortresses with an Earthkin dwarf.  Both times he starts out fine, but after a few years he slows down so much that he can hardly move.  Tried training with workbench to get his str up to no avail - seems to be an issue with the rockskin buff they are constantly recasting on themselves not expiring or something like that?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 12:04:19 am by nukularpower »

Zuzu Reish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: August 05, 2014, 01:25:22 am »

Hopefully this is the right place for this: I'm playing with the additional flora/fauna plugin activated, on a badland embark. What are the utility of barrel cacti? I can barrel-process them for water, which seems useful, but will the dwarves actually use that for anything water-related: e.g., pouring it into a bucket to give to a patient / clean a patient /etc.? I can cook the seeds, sure, but I'd rather not be stuck with a bunch of barrels of water (sounds like problem you'd want to have, in a desert).

Any help would be much appreciated!
Can't say about cacti specifically, but pressing water from quarry bush leaves was a lifesaver on waterless site! Dwarves did actually use that water.

I suppose that would be the same reaction, interesting; did the dwarves use the water to clean patients? That's really what I'm concerned about; I'd very much LOVE to do a TOTALLY above-ground fortress on a scorching embark. I've sometimes seen them give water from the alcohol-to-water reaction from the brewery, but that's different. Keep in mind, here, that I'm being a bit of a purist...

Elfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: August 05, 2014, 04:58:38 am »

I suppose that would be the same reaction, interesting; did the dwarves use the water to clean patients? That's really what I'm concerned about; I'd very much LOVE to do a TOTALLY above-ground fortress on a scorching embark. I've sometimes seen them give water from the alcohol-to-water reaction from the brewery, but that's different. Keep in mind, here, that I'm being a bit of a purist...
Can't say for certain about cleaning patients. Seen it quite a bit ago, so 'maybe'. But waterling or liquid spawner could help with this, if it's not against your policy  :)

Zuzu Reish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: August 05, 2014, 05:42:09 am »

Can't say for certain about cleaning patients. Seen it quite a bit ago, so 'maybe'. But waterling or liquid spawner could help with this, if it's not against your policy  :)

I'd be okay with that, although I'm pretty new to the mod: how would I get access to the Tear of Armok (if I understand the process correctly) aboveground?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #711 on: August 05, 2014, 05:42:53 am »

Dig down and find one, or buy one for lots and lots of money from the merchant stalls.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: August 05, 2014, 06:38:53 am »

I really can't figure out the magma well as it is (and searching doesn't help).

I can't find a way to make it a "safe" thing for the worker.
It seems to spawn a finite amount of magma that even goes through walls, when I thought it would just spawn liquid continuously from itself.
I tried to make one magma safe (even the bucket), and it still exploded.

As it is, either I am not understanding the thing well or it is not as usefull as I thought (thought it was a "safe" way to get magma up for forges and moats that doesn't require tons of pumps).
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Rimbinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: August 05, 2014, 07:15:12 am »

I really can't figure out the magma well as it is (and searching doesn't help).
I can't find a way to make it a "safe" thing for the worker.

It is not the best thing but I would suggest resort to cheating. Dig a moat where you want your magma be and use liquids in df hack. using help will display whole bunch of useful commands. It is the safest and most reliable way to get magma, well at least for me.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: August 05, 2014, 07:48:29 am »

I know, but I really thought the magma and water wells were a way to use very rare gems to do those "cheats" in a more legit way.

I guess my choices now are magma sea (deep down at -50, vetical 3rd cavern), cheating, or using minecarts to take magma up (last time I tried ended badly, green glass melted, and iron was too heavy and got stuck in the magma).

On an other side note, I have a few questions that might as well be posted here:

1/ How do you guys deal with worn out clothes? They clutter my fort all over, and I can't seem to find a good way to take only those to a stockpile to get disposed.

2/ Very similar question, but for surplus of seeds, and potentially other items.
I use a central "seed" stockpile, that gives to individual seed piles, and either sell or roast the ones in surplus (depending on food needs).
This is very heavy on the preparation, but that's the best I could figure out so far to ensure keeping seeds on the side.

3/ I embarked with plump helmet folks. Those breed like madmens and throw parties all the time (cancelled because in a pe'n', but still). I tried to butcher a lot of them, and I am now with piles of their "meat" in the plant pile. I know I can brew that, but I'd need way too many barrels and brewers.
Anyone else had troubles with those critters?

EDIT:
4/ Is there any way at all to make a wood plank stockpile per type?
I'd love to be able to filter them, because of colour, weight and value, but the only option seems to be building multiple sawmills and 't'ake from them, or to switch the pile that takes each time, the first option being a waste of materials and place, the second very micro intensive.

5/ I quicly checked the 5x3 brewery, but it seems to take more for less yield (2 plants to 2x3 booze, compared to 1 plant to 5).
Did I miss something while reading the reactions?

That's all (for now^^), I am enjoying my return to MDF a great deal after stopping for a year, all those new things to play around with that I still am not finished.

Particularly loving the rewamp of the guild system, the merchants and the praying, it really gives a lot more flexibility to playing dwarves.

Heck, it might be possible to make a fortress with a lot of priests (and butchers for later souls) to sustain it, just like it's possible with merchants.

Looking forward to the proper human release (with doc) in a few days, going to continue mostly with dwarves for now.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 08:22:31 am by slay_mithos »
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.

GreyPowerVan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: August 05, 2014, 08:47:14 am »

1/ How do you guys deal with worn out clothes? They clutter my fort all over, and I can't seem to find a good way to take only those to a stockpile to get disposed.

Try typing "Cleanowned all" into your dfhack.

Rimbinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: August 05, 2014, 10:16:47 am »

For worn out clothes you can build crematorium and burn them or just sell them to the caravans

Elfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: August 05, 2014, 10:24:44 am »

I know, but I really thought the magma and water wells were a way to use very rare gems to do those "cheats" in a more legit way.

I guess my choices now are magma sea (deep down at -50, vetical 3rd cavern), cheating, or using minecarts to take magma up (last time I tried ended badly, green glass melted, and iron was too heavy and got stuck in the magma).
Glass melted? Weird. Anyway, build magma well one level under a basin for magma (no holes in the floor) and use "Spawn magma trap" in well.  It was in changelog. (Scroll down to Water Wells and Magma Wells)

Some problems with it, though. It needs two rough blood of Amrok gems. One for well itself and one for reaction and it gives only fixed amount of magma.

Another is that is spawns incorrectly and sticks magma into walls and in any open space, no matter if it would be possible for magma to get there by flowing. So you'll have to be very careful to have enough empty space over the well. I suppose to prevent constant flow in less than 7/7 filled basin it would be better to have a drain somewhere to keep actual magma storage full and compact and let excess evaporate...

On an other side note, I have a few questions that might as well be posted here:

2/ Very similar question, but for surplus of seeds, and potentially other items.
I use a central "seed" stockpile, that gives to individual seed piles, and either sell or roast the ones in surplus (depending on food needs).
This is very heavy on the preparation, but that's the best I could figure out so far to ensure keeping seeds on the side.

3/ I embarked with plump helmet folks. Those breed like madmens and throw parties all the time (cancelled because in a pe'n', but still). I tried to butcher a lot of them, and I am now with piles of their "meat" in the plant pile. I know I can brew that, but I'd need way too many barrels and brewers.
Anyone else had troubles with those critters?

EDIT:
4/ Is there any way at all to make a wood plank stockpile per type?
I'd love to be able to filter them, because of colour, weight and value, but the only option seems to be building multiple sawmills and 't'ake from them, or to switch the pile that takes each time, the first option being a waste of materials and place, the second very micro intensive.

1. I don't have stockpile for clothes. Everything which just lays around gets burned in Crematorium. (Though I cheat sometimes and use alternative stock interface to dump everything with wear and not equipped to speed up the process. Or to dump them on refuse stockpile.)

2. dfhack seedwatch if you want. But usually I don't bother. I simply don't cook them or any plants which seeds are useful.

3. LOL Luckily the only plumphelmet man I saw quickly died in a cursed dust accident, so no.

4. I don't think there is. Actually, I mostly gave up on stockpiles %-) They are buggy, kill fps and are otherwise unmanageable.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: August 05, 2014, 10:33:51 am »

Glass melted? Weird. Anyway, build magma well one level under a basin for magma (no holes in the floor) and use "Spawn magma trap" in well.  It was in changelog. (Scroll down to Water Wells and Magma Wells)

Some problems with it, though. It needs two rough blood of Amrok gems. One for well itself and one for reaction and it gives only fixed amount of magma.

Another is that is spawns incorrectly and sticks magma into walls and in any open space, no matter if it would be possible for magma to get there by flowing. So you'll have to be very careful to have enough empty space over the well. I suppose to prevent constant flow in less than 7/7 filled basin it would be better to have a drain somewhere to keep actual magma storage full and compact and let excess evaporate...
Well, it is indeed a possibility, but it requires a second "blood of armok", of which I only had 1 (an only 5 in total on the map, the rest bing in the 3rd cavern layers).

I'll try to get my hand on one with wall hacking (ssense in 'h' mode).

The finite quantity is what bugs me the most though, so maybe back to other ways for now).

1. I don't have stockpile for clothes. Everything which just lays around gets burned in Crematorium. (Though I cheat sometimes and use alternative stock interface to dump everything with wear and not equipped to speed up the process. Or to dump them on refuse stockpile.)

2. dfhack seedwatch if you want. But usually I don't bother. I simply don't cook them or any plants which seeds are useful.

3. LOL Luckily the only plumphelmet man I saw quickly died in a cursed dust accident, so no.

4. I don't think there is. Actually, I mostly gave up on stockpiles %-) They are buggy, kill fps and are otherwise unmanageable.
2. I usually don't bother either, but when I get to 200+ strawberry seeds, for a 25 plot farm, it starts to impact the FPS for no benefit at all.

3. They gain social skill really fast, but on the other hand, they can be a big help if you embark without soil, to get you booze while you figure out a flooding system.

4. I use a lot of stockpiles, and figured out most of what I needed with toying around with 'g'ive and 't'ake, wheel barrows, minecarts and all that, but that's the only point I couldn't figure out for now.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 10:42:58 am by slay_mithos »

Elfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: August 05, 2014, 11:03:28 am »

Well, it is indeed a possibility, but it requires a second "blood of armok", of which I only had 1 (an only 5 in total on the map, the rest bing in the 3rd cavern layers).

I'll try to get my hand on one with wall hacking (ssense in 'h' mode).

The finite quantity is what bugs me the most though, so maybe back to other ways for now).
You can buy them too, they aren't all that costly for established fort. Or let some uselessselfless dwarf become a sacrifice for the future of your Fort. Dwarf analogue of Prometheus, so to speak :) Just needs careful set up.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 92