Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 92

Author Topic: ☼Dwarves☼ - Everything Dwarf Mode  (Read 203222 times)

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Dwarves☼ - Everything Dwarf Mode
« Reply #615 on: July 20, 2014, 01:43:31 am »

I use locked doors instead of stockpile settings. Lock a worker inside the room with some metal bars and weapons available. Same thing, in the end.
Personally I just use job-material for that; set the engrave job on repeat and order it to only take steel weapons, long swords, or steel longswords. Quality it can't handle, but I just melt down everything of insufficient quality.

Question/Bug: For some reason, water isn't flowing up in one section of piping. I'm draining an underground lake for reasons, and the pipe running from the lake to the drain has a couple vertical jogs to avoid ore veins, where it goes down one z-level, carries on horizontally, and then comes back on the other side of the vein. Water is flowing down into the lower level, but isn't flowing back up.
Code: [Select]
Side view.
Water flows
=============V  down a level V====>
             ^===============^ and up again
Water will flow down that first level, but won't flow back up to the original level. I've even pressurized the water with a pump, but still nothing.

ETA: I suspect this is a bug in base DF, but regardless this is one of the faster places to go for problem solving.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 01:45:46 am by darthbob88 »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: July 20, 2014, 01:55:40 am »

Do you know that water pressure only fills up to one level lower than the source, except in the special case of infinite sources like rivers?  so if your lake is not a source the behavior you describe sounds normal.  Pressurizing pumps should work but they might need to be one z level higher than you might think.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: July 20, 2014, 10:51:44 am »

Do you know that water pressure only fills up to one level lower than the source, except in the special case of infinite sources like rivers?  so if your lake is not a source the behavior you describe sounds normal.  Pressurizing pumps should work but they might need to be one z level higher than you might think.
Forgot about the one-level-below thing, but this should still have worked, because the pump is on the level above the water I want to flow, right about where "Water flows" is on this diagram. I'll put another pump on top of the one that's already there, give it a higher pressure head. If that doesn't work, I'll just give up and cut through the ore like I probably should have done.

Code: [Select]
Side view.
Water flows
=============V  down a level V====>
             ^===============^ and up again
ETA: WTF? I built another pump two levels above the water I want to make flow, and it's still not flowing up. I carved a ramp, in case the water just couldn't flow up stairs, and still nothing. Might also be because the pressurized water is mixing with the unpressurized flow, so I'm building a wall to separate the pump output from input.

ETA2: And that did it. I now have water properly flowing uphill.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 02:05:51 pm by darthbob88 »

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: July 20, 2014, 02:22:09 pm »

Noob question: How do I enable rendermax? And why is my dfhack window so small with extremely small letters, and no way to make it bigger? What is it, dfhack for ants?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

___MeRliN___

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: July 20, 2014, 05:07:24 pm »

Rather stupid question... how do I extract adamantine strands? Theres no extractor labor... I can only do "Extract Adamantine Strands" in the craftdwarfs workshop... and thats it, nobody is going to do that.
Signature coming *soon* TM

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: July 20, 2014, 05:10:33 pm »

Rather stupid question... how do I extract adamantine strands? Theres no extractor labor... I can only do "Extract Adamantine Strands" in the craftdwarfs workshop... and thats it, nobody is going to do that.
You have to pray for the holiest of metals.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: July 20, 2014, 05:18:25 pm »

Strand Extraction job has been renamed prayer. Still does it, and now it might be higher skill level too, from all that Pray for soft metal!
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

___MeRliN___

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: July 20, 2014, 05:29:16 pm »

Kinda makes sense, that material is so unbelieveable powerfull that it must be something send by Armok...

Now new issue... damn leeches... I mean children... how do I get rid of them on a preferable cruel method for leeching my alcohol. They dont contribute anything and I havent setup a deathpit on that harder fortress yet...

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: July 20, 2014, 11:32:27 pm »

Dwarf children grow up way quicker in Masterwork. Don't kill them, tempting as it may be.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

___MeRliN___

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: July 21, 2014, 05:32:00 am »

Dwarf children grow up way quicker in Masterwork. Don't kill them, tempting as it may be.

Aw... was going to turn them into living Bioweapons with the forgotten beast I am about to trap... it has a slow necrosis breath and would simply let the kids get infected, putting them outside of the fortress and see if Goblins like them.

But well if they grow up faster I give it a shot... so far they organized 7 damn parties and keep my Dwarves off from working.

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: July 21, 2014, 09:13:50 am »

Aw... was going to turn them into living Bioweapons with the forgotten beast I am about to trap... it has a slow necrosis breath and would simply let the kids get infected, putting them outside of the fortress and see if Goblins like them.

But well if they grow up faster I give it a shot... so far they organized 7 damn parties and keep my Dwarves off from working.

Burrow them in a different area and they won't form relationships with so many people. It helps. I love to have children who were actually born, raised, and grow up to live and work in the same fortress, but I get frustrated with the adult dwarves who say "I'm going to stop cranking out these masterwork gold crafts and exceptional steel armor so I can go spend 2 months at the birthday party of this kid I met yesterday in the dining hall."

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: July 21, 2014, 01:06:22 pm »

Mood-related question: where can I get shells in dwarf mode? Turtles from the fish pond don't seem to have any.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #627 on: July 21, 2014, 01:19:58 pm »

Mood-related question: where can I get shells in dwarf mode? Turtles from the fish pond don't seem to have any.
They should. Do you have a fishery to get shells from them?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: July 21, 2014, 01:54:55 pm »

Ok, testing the turtle thing ...

I (finally) spawned a raw pond turtle. It does not show up on the kitchen list yet.

After I collected a few of them, I created a fishery. The workers rushed to pick up the raw turtles and carried them to the fishery where they then created a "pond turtle" which now shows up on the kitchen list as an item to be cooked.

No shells in the fishery.

The fishery is a vanilla building so I don't know where to look for its reactions, but here's the custom one from one of the fishpond buildings.

I've never paid much attention to the fishery. Is it supposed to be 100% chance of producing a shell when you process a raw turtle? (I would think so.)

Seems to be some subtle difference between [PRODUCT:10:1:FISH_RAW:NONE:POND_TURTLE:MALE] and the turtles you catch in rivers and such naturally.

[REACTION:FISH_TURTLE]
[NAME:Catch turtles]
[BUILDING:FISH_POND:CUSTOM_T][BUILDING:FISH_POND_KOBOLD:CUSTOM_T]
[REAGENT:A:1:BUCKET:NONE:NONE:NONE][EMPTY][PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[PRODUCT:10:1:FISH_RAW:NONE:POND_TURTLE:MALE]
[SKILL:DISSECT_FISH]

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #629 on: July 21, 2014, 01:59:07 pm »

If you want to do me a favor, add this line in the reaction: [PRODUCT:100:1:FISH_RAW:NONE:TURTLE:MALE] (in your save raws, you dont need a new world for this at all), and test again. I very much hope it works and gives a shell.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 92