Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 92

Author Topic: ☼Dwarves☼ - Everything Dwarf Mode  (Read 203215 times)

Netr0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Dwarves☼ - Everything Dwarf Mode
« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2014, 08:31:26 pm »

Another question. With Magic, how does one train the sorcerers to gain level in sorcery? Is it just from using the spells? I've yet to actually make a mage from scratch as most of my bases I don't get around to it til 6+ years in and I keep hitting stopping points(from boredom of the fort to a spiral tantrum because I wasn't able to make a dang rosesilver bed)

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2014, 08:52:16 pm »

Yeah, magic feels too "end game" to me.

By the time I research and get everything to even build the thing, my fort is nearing it's end. And if you're making it that far in, you already have a reliable military.

Which is unfortunate, because I really want to play with fire.

Netr0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2014, 09:17:54 pm »

Yeah, magic feels too "end game" to me.

By the time I research and get everything to even build the thing, my fort is nearing it's end. And if you're making it that far in, you already have a reliable military.

Which is unfortunate, because I really want to play with fire.
''
That's true... With magic you need a lot of platinum and the easiest way to get that is with a few priests 24/7 praying(after a long time I end up with like 300 silver 200 gold 170 platinum).

I think for a challenge... to start with all the equipment to do magic based start and play with just magic users for a def instead of normal soldiers. I guess I could call it 'School of Magic Expedition'. Which would include some basic builders and 1 or 2 people to start magic asap. Maybe rely on pets/traps at first(Since I always start with about 5-6 invader races at least). I think it sounds like fun :S

herocrafter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2014, 11:08:50 pm »

Hello.  I'm new to both dwarf fortress and masterwork so apologies if you find my question(s) simple.  I've wiki'd and forum'd and reddited and felt I was ready to begin.  I'm using the v5.0 now but will update after I post this to v5.04.  The short of it is I caged trapped Legionnaire Dwarf Necromancer and don't know if, or even how, I should let him free.  Its winter and he is getting frostbite.  He got trapped (cage trap) mere seconds before the arrival of a caravan so I'm thinking he might have been its vanguard; however, I didn't think (awake) dwarfs got caught in traps so I'm really confused with what to do with him.  The fact that he is a Necromancer is unnerving too.  And no, I haven't a clue as to whether or not there is a tower close to me.  So I'll have to remove him some time, dead or alive.  Would it be better to wait for his frost bitten butt to freeze to death or is no threat?  Should he die will the others be happier if I entomb him?  Will the merchants remember hold it against me that he got clumsy on their next visit?  If I'm to release him do I mark just the Dwarf Necro for dumping or do I also need a stockpile that accepts live dwarfs? 

Thanks for reading all this.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2014, 11:17:33 pm »

Does the unit screen mention anything about him? It should say something like Merchant, Invader, or Friendly next to his name. It's most likely that he is an invader, as he had gotten himself trapped.

Regardless of which he is, he is very dangerous, and will be more than happy to raise any corpses he comes across around your fort, so simply letting him go would not be the best option.

If you do wish to free him, then you can do so by constructing his cage like a piece of furniture, linking the cage to a lever, and then having the lever pulled. Cages tend to work oddly when the occupant is the same race as your civilians, as they cannot be freely moved into or out of cages like animals can.

There won't be any mood shift from him being entombed, though entombment or a memorial slab will prevent him from rising as a ghost.

herocrafter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 04, 2014, 11:35:45 pm »

Whereas everyone and everything else is labeled (wild animal, merchant, merchant (caged), or dipolomat) Erib Kabular Ronatzul Laltur, Legionnaire Dwarf necromancer has none.  Oddly though on that list he is placed above all the merchant's critter cages while the merchants and guards and draft animals are below.  I'll take that to mean he's not with them and let him freeze.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #96 on: June 05, 2014, 06:48:54 am »

His name is so long that is blacks out the type. Press F12 to have a look without true type font. But he is hostile, otherwise he wouldnt have triggered the trap.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Buel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 05, 2014, 07:35:01 am »

Turning up the embark points does nothing or am I doing something wrong? I've generated whole new worlds after I turned the points up a little.

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #98 on: June 05, 2014, 08:03:15 am »

Turning up the embark points does nothing or am I doing something wrong? I've generated whole new worlds after I turned the points up a little.
i just tested with 5.0.4 and it seems to work, although it's a bit weird. i had set it to 1649, and it actually gave 1711, no idea why. however, you can double check the Dwarf Fortress\raw\onLoad.init and verify that the points have changed.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #99 on: June 05, 2014, 08:05:04 am »

Embark points vary for each location/world, which is a bit weird, I never found out why. But I tested with values over 10000, which is the worldgen settings max, and I got them. So it does work.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

dukea42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 05, 2014, 08:20:10 am »

The faction you select add it's prosperity to your embark. Larger factions with more forts on the embark map will provide higher points (and likely more types of goods the others may not have).
My posts are probably based on Masterwork DF mod

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #101 on: June 05, 2014, 09:34:27 am »

The faction you select add it's prosperity to your embark. Larger factions with more forts on the embark map will provide higher points (and likely more types of goods the others may not have).
:o

And you learn something new every day.

Buel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 05, 2014, 09:51:13 am »

Oh. o.o Wow that makes sense heh, I mean my gnome one was pretty big. But i'm glad its not a bug or anything.

Netr0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 05, 2014, 09:54:40 am »

You could also use dfhack when looking for an embark spot and type points xxxxx

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 05, 2014, 11:12:24 am »

Perhaps the related script is not ran upon loading the save.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 11:14:11 am by Boltgun »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 92