Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 92

Author Topic: ☼Dwarves☼ - Everything Dwarf Mode  (Read 203149 times)

MightyPaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Dwarves☼ - Everything Dwarf Mode
« Reply #120 on: June 07, 2014, 08:43:18 pm »

messing around with the finishing forge for the first time.

the reactions only take 1 bar, even with harder smiting.  I can mass produce bronze sawblades at 1 bar each.  Or I can fully equip a dwarf for the paltry sum of 7 bars
in times of peace nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blasts of war ring in your ears, then imitate the actions of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #121 on: June 07, 2014, 08:48:09 pm »

Intended. You get early and easy access to bad (bronze/copper) gear. Otherwise people jump straight to higher tech.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2014, 08:53:12 pm »

Just had an archaeologist uncover an "unknown material red marker" from restoring a relic

Useful, useless, or bug?  (He also got a lot of mithril items, so that's nice.)
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

MightyPaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 07, 2014, 09:00:13 pm »

so its supposed to be less bars to make the same thing?  I thought it was just supposed to not take fuel.  Alright then.

Starting with a bunch of copper and tin ore at 6 each just got really attractive  :-D
in times of peace nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blasts of war ring in your ears, then imitate the actions of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2014, 09:45:23 pm »

Just had an archaeologist uncover an "unknown material red marker" from restoring a relic

Useful, useless, or bug?  (He also got a lot of mithril items, so that's nice.)

In terms of the red marker you may want to look it up from the game Dead Space.

In a similar way it would be prudent to begin carving the names of your dwarves into the walls so that when future expeditions stumble upon your horribly murdered corpses they will know what happened.

The best way to save yourself if you don't have an insanely strong military yet is would be to look into the reactions in religious buildings.

Fun Spoiler
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 07, 2014, 10:04:45 pm »

So that's where the necromorphs came from. Is it a one time spawning thing? I killed the first group easily.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2014, 03:09:23 am »

So I just had an elven caravan show up.  They had unicorns as their animals (if that matters) and no wagons (as is proper). They also had no trade goods.  Not single splinter. Last fort they had goods, but they also had spiders as the pack animals...

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 08, 2014, 03:17:54 am »

So that's where the necromorphs came from. Is it a one time spawning thing? I killed the first group easily.

I'm pretty sure they keep coming back, as will everything else that dies.
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 08, 2014, 03:32:23 am »

Moved over from another thread...
First things first, this is in Masterwork mod, dwarf mode. I started my game at year 50, it is year 55.

I just happened to be looking at one of my leeches dwarven children and noticed that Rovod Udilrinal only has a mother listed under the relationships tab. He does have an older sister who also only has a mother listed. (I have found two more kids of single moms, and a child of a single dad, all 4 of them were not born in my fort.

Are single moms a new thing here? I mean, that's not a problem, but it is highly suspicious.

While trying to remember which child I was looking for, I noticed another weird child, Gamlatbecor ("Spewtemptations"), who apparently does not have a 2 part name like the majority of the members of my fort, though finding another one (a mason named Zardumed "Outrageousfortification" which is an AWESOME name) has not reassured me much. (And another one, Butcher, Zuglarzoden "Shiphoused".)

The kid's parents have normal names and so does his older brother. He is 3 years old. He is a legionnaire in his thoughts and preferences. He has not claimed a room for himself but his parents have and he sleeps there.

The Mason is married and has TEN kids. He is one of those weird dwarves appearing to be born before the world was created (my world is 55 years old, he has the appearance of someone 102 years old). He is a marksman in his thoughts and preferences. The mason has claimed a room for himself. NONE of his 10 kids or his wife are in my fort (this is really suspect).

The butcher is *not* married, and only has passing acquaintances. He has not claimed a room or property for himself. He is 38. He is also unquestionably weak (lol).

None of these single named dwarves have anything in common, aside from the fact that they don't have "last names" or whatever.

Is this normal? I mean, the kid not having a dad, is unexpected enough, but the one name dwarves have me REALLY paranoid. There is so much that can go fun in a fort, and I'm suspicious of these 4 dwarves. Suspicious enough that I might just decide to bury them and move on.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this? What happened with the odd dwarves?

Dwarves older than world generation are entirely normal, especially in young worlds - the world gen seems to assign a random age to every creature at the start of history, to avoid an even more suspicious situation where everyone is the same age.  Likewise, dwarves lacking a first name happen from time to time and aren't anything to be worried about.

A quick check of my fort has thrown up several dwarves without parents on the Relationships screen at all.  My guess is that only dwarves currently in your fortress show up, or that maybe the parents of migrants were "culled" as unimportant historical figures during worldgen?  Either way, you could probably find out more by creating a copy of your save, abandoning it, exporting all of the legends data, and looking up the dwarves in question with Legends Viewer.
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 08, 2014, 03:40:29 am »

A quick check of my fort has thrown up several dwarves without parents on the Relationships screen at all.  My guess is that only dwarves currently in your fortress show up, or that maybe the parents of migrants were "culled" as unimportant historical figures during worldgen?  Either way, you could probably find out more by creating a copy of your save, abandoning it, exporting all of the legends data, and looking up the dwarves in question with Legends Viewer.

Most likely is that it is the latter, as even relatives who are not in the fort should be listed as a relation. I've found a few historical figures in vanilla who had an unknown parent, though I believe it is very uncommon. I've even had a figure or two who had no parents at all, despite having been born during world-gen.

In Legends, it may say something along the lines of "the name of his/her father/mother has been lost to time" or "s/he was of unknown parentage", but it may not mention it at all.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 08, 2014, 05:44:03 am »

It looks like unicorns don't work as pack animals.  The elves showed up the second spring with nothing again, using unicorns as their pack animals, even though I had requested stuff.

Not that it really matters since every single one of my dwarves has the bubonic plague, despite my having turned diseases off.  So I guess that would be a second problem.

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 08, 2014, 05:50:09 am »

Apparently the plague comes with one of the other included mods (I forget which one), rather than MDF's diseases module.  I think it's clear what you have to do, though - find a way to weaponise it against those annoying, unhelpful elves and their needlessly pointy steeds...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #132 on: June 08, 2014, 06:03:28 am »

It looks like unicorns don't work as pack animals.  The elves showed up the second spring with nothing again, using unicorns as their pack animals, even though I had requested stuff.

Not that it really matters since every single one of my dwarves has the bubonic plague, despite my having turned diseases off.  So I guess that would be a second problem.
Please state the version number.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 08, 2014, 06:30:51 am »

Please state the version number.

V5.05

And digging into the raws it looks like I have smallpox from interaction_plague  (it says smallpox in the description but bubonic plague in the tag).  Interestingly the dwarf raws have "!NONEWDISEASE!APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:HAS_BUBONIC_PLAGUE]"  so I shouldn't be getting all plaguey up in my shorts.   I noticed the plague at the same time a salt mage (alomancer) showed up, maybe there is some weird tie in with that?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 06:52:56 am by arbarbonif »

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 08, 2014, 07:31:16 am »

And now I've starting digging into raws...  If I'm reading this right, genii are useless, since they don't become an adult until 1 year, at which point they die of old age.  Are they supposed to have maxage and child both set to 1?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 92