Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23

Author Topic: Mission 13: Assassination  (Read 51077 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 13: Assassination
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2014, 12:36:57 pm »

"Let us go."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2014, 01:14:48 pm »

(So when is lars gonna get a mace and go full paladin?)

Head back into the hotel lobby, and after Milno comes down to bring us up to the rooms, turn on the TV's in each room for background noise. After that put on the cam-eye goggles and look around while switching through the different modes watch some local channels on a TV to try and learn more about this planet's culture, and give Lars the cam-eye goggles

"Well, time to see how good these cam-eyes are.
The morning TV is, as you'd expect, rather unengaging. Mostly weather (Looks like rain is coming) and news reports from larger, more interesting places mixed with children's shows. The most obvious difference is that these people seem to use a slightly modified form of English which almost sounds broken to you. They tend not to use adjectives and leave out many connecting words if it could be understood without. They often seem to leave out large sections that are understood. For instance, in the weather report they say:

"Large Storm system coming from East. Rain tomorrow, weekend."

It seems to be a very clipped way of speaking.

After checking the rooms, Milno plops down to watch TV. "Two people stay here and keep watch at all times unless we're performing some major action. Can't let sneaky people try to steal our stuff while we are away. This day should be fairly calm. I plan on going to the bookstore to get any books that may help us get familiar with this place's culture while one team does some discreet recon of the area around that hotel. One of the teams stays here watching TV and guarding our stuff. If the recon team meets our mark, don't talk to him unless necessary, and don't let him know you know him. Don't attack either; discreetly try to discover his routine or habits if you come across him."

Watch TV. Change channels until I find something that might be remotely useful for understanding the local culture, as well as the culture of the place our documents say we came from.

Milno also gives the recon team some money (around 1/4 of the total) so they can buy some cheap and locally-appropriate walkie-talkies or similar short-range communication system.

The documents don't have an origin listed, so you suppose you can just use your real one.

Sounds like a plan. Let's go see the sites, Lars.

Leave my case and datapad with Milno, pocket a couple mini-cams.
( Can I get the count on how many cameras we have? Or is it just sort of a 'less than 100, probably more than you need' sort of amount? )

Head out on recon if we're ready to leave. Look for a map of the area when we hit the general store. Do not spend much time looking at the Green Hotel on this pass, spend more time wandering the town and getting a feel for crowds, layout, and landmarks. Make particular note of other tall buildings on the same street as the hotel.

Otherwise, watch some TV with Thad

(( I don't remember what the description of the cam-eye goggles was, I've been assuming that they're a bit obvious? ))
Stick with group.  Volunteer for Recon duty since no one else is.  Pack the goggles in the case and head out with Skylar.

Lars looked at Thomas as he spoke.  With a glance at Milno, Lars made sure that no outsiders could hear him.  "I have not finished my studies, what with the war preparations we have been doing.  While there is no explicit reference there, I do have what the Glorious Steve has said.  According to that, Steve collects those who have passed and brings them back together into his warm glowing embrace.  Once we have passed from this world, we come together in the glory of Steve.  We will join together again with those who are lost."

He was silent a moment.

"You will meet your May again, and you can share your love together in Steve's holy light."

HEY GUYS, YOU THINK THAT MAYBE WALKING OUTSIDE WITH A BIG GIANT PAIR OF OBVIOUS MILITARY TECH GOGGLES MIGHT BE A BAD IDEA? YOU JUST WANNA LOOK LIKE A SAM FISHER COSPLAYER?

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2014, 01:31:22 pm »

((Guess the goggles are far more obvious than expected, but Lars did also mention he wanted to put it inside his case. No harm done.))

"And if you're able, pick some cheap backpacks or anything like that. We need to look less like metal-case-carrying weirdos." He drums his knuckles on a case nearby for emphasis and then points at the TV. "Got how they talk, eh?"
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2014, 12:17:08 am »

Yeah. Will get bag, food, radios, find landmarks. Watch back.

Head out. Leave case, data-pad with Milno. Pocket some mini-cams.
( Related to the mini-cams, can I get a count on those, or are they small enough that we have 'enough' :P )

Start with store, purchase town map, backpacks. Then walk to map landmarks.
Do not spend extra time at Green Mansion. Discuss landmarks with Lars.

When done, back store, purchase food, radios. If no radios, ask clerk where electronic store. Head there, purchase.

(( I can't actually decide if I did that right. Man, that is a stilted way to speak XD ))

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2014, 12:25:52 am »

"They talk kind of oddly here. I've met someone who talked liked this but I can't think of who, or when. I think I might be better off not even trying to speak to anyone, at least for a bit."

Keep on watching TV, news and children shows specifically. For the news, look for any major events that are happening on the planet, more focused on whats going on in the city they are in. As for the children shows, well, they should be simple and an easy way to learn the language. Stay comfy in the bed that Thaddeus seems to of claimed.
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2014, 01:06:17 am »

((Backpacks should be big enough to carry a case each, by the way. We may still want to keep our stuff inside the cases but use the backpack to call less attention.))

"Leaving, bookstore." Milno says as he hops off the bed after watching a few minutes of TV and getting an idea of how these people talk.

Bookstore, search cheap local stuff. Basic manners, writing, geography, useful books. Check info, big and small cities nearby. Need to create cover for team.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2014, 07:57:20 am »

"We shall go."

Also leave case, go with Skylar.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2014, 11:46:06 am »

(( I think PW did this just to watch us all make our posts in hilariously broken English XD ))

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2014, 04:05:21 am »

After hearing Lars speak, Thomas took a seat in the corner of the room and just sat there and thought. There were no tears, there were no cries of agony. He sat and mulled over his experiences in his life. Eventually, he was broken out of his stupor by the sounds of people leaving.

"I'll keep watch."

Sit by a window and keep watch. Keep the briefcase nearby. Watch people passing by.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2014, 11:00:23 am »

Yeah. Will get bag, food, radios, find landmarks. Watch back.

Head out. Leave case, data-pad with Milno. Pocket some mini-cams.
( Related to the mini-cams, can I get a count on those, or are they small enough that we have 'enough' :P )

Start with store, purchase town map, backpacks. Then walk to map landmarks.
Do not spend extra time at Green Mansion. Discuss landmarks with Lars.

When done, back store, purchase food, radios. If no radios, ask clerk where electronic store. Head there, purchase.

(( I can't actually decide if I did that right. Man, that is a stilted way to speak XD ))
"We shall go."

Also leave case, go with Skylar.
Assume you've got something like 20 of the cameras and that they're about the size of your first thumb knuckle. I'll assume you took 5 with you.

You have to wander around for about an hour before the stores open, but it gives you time to figure out where all the stores are and what you could get and where. Backpacks are easy, so are food and radios, but a town map proves annoyingly difficult. About the best you can find is a map of the local province in which the town -which is called Tlaxu- is located. The map gives only a very basic overview of the town, mostly major roads and a few governmental buildings and exactly one landmark to see on your way through. You decide to skip that landmark though, considering it seems to be nothing but a memorial statue and it's sitting right outside townhall. Probably best not to be seen by any law enforcement or high ranking officials that might just be wandering around.

"They talk kind of oddly here. I've met someone who talked liked this but I can't think of who, or when. I think I might be better off not even trying to speak to anyone, at least for a bit."

Keep on watching TV, news and children shows specifically. For the news, look for any major events that are happening on the planet, more focused on whats going on in the city they are in. As for the children shows, well, they should be simple and an easy way to learn the language. Stay comfy in the bed that Thaddeus seems to of claimed.
There are elections happening in a neighboring province, an industrial accident at a rare earth mineral mine near by, the local high school band is advancing to the province finals and a new shop selling frozen yogurt laced with hallucinogenics opened up downtown. It's all quite banal.

The language is a bit more complex then simply cutting words it seems. Use of proper nouns seems to indicate respect; High ranking people are never referred to as "He" or "She" or "They", but always by their name and, in extreme cases, their entire title as well. Likewise, it seems that using your own name when with someone of higher rank is seen as rude or presumptuous.  In fact, it seems like equals refer to each other and themselves by pronouns unless they're friends or more intimately involved.

((Backpacks should be big enough to carry a case each, by the way. We may still want to keep our stuff inside the cases but use the backpack to call less attention.))

"Leaving, bookstore." Milno says as he hops off the bed after watching a few minutes of TV and getting an idea of how these people talk.

Bookstore, search cheap local stuff. Basic manners, writing, geography, useful books. Check info, big and small cities nearby. Need to create cover for team.
The book store, rather unsurprisingly, doesn't have books covering the mannerisms and manners of this particular podunk town. You instead get a basic book on grammar, an atlas of the planet and a travel guide for the province.

After hearing Lars speak, Thomas took a seat in the corner of the room and just sat there and thought. There were no tears, there were no cries of agony. He sat and mulled over his experiences in his life. Eventually, he was broken out of his stupor by the sounds of people leaving.

"I'll keep watch."

Sit by a window and keep watch. Keep the briefcase nearby. Watch people passing by.

The rooms you're in have no windows.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2014, 01:41:37 am »

Thomas takes his spare time to check the room once over for bugs again. Do so two or three times, then go watch the TV.
"Anything interesting? Anything helpful?"

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2014, 02:21:22 pm »

Head back to room, help with bug sweep. Hand off the radios and bags to Milno
Not much. Small town, not many landmarks. Which feels intentional, not a lot of places for outsiders to be interested in. If they're interested in the hotel, they're highly suspicious to our target. Otherwise, they probably leave town quickly, or have come for work of some kind.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2014, 10:17:33 pm »

"Eh, some I guess? Whenever you're talking to someone important or high ranking, it seems that you use their name or title , instead of saying she, he or they. That seems to be a big no-no. Another big no-no is using your own name when talking to someone who is higher ranking than you. That's a really big one. People of equal standing refer to themselves and each other by using he, she, they, and I. I uh, this is going to make my brain hurt trying to speak like that."

Keep watching TV. See what professions are held in high regard here and what they like to do in their free time. Also, what profession is Thaddeus/everyone else on their papers?
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2014, 10:34:21 pm »

"Should practice then. Don't want die. You know when they be back?"

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2014, 10:37:32 pm »

"Yeah, should. Not really. Should soon, I hope."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23