Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 84

Author Topic: Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.  (Read 188047 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.
« Reply #1200 on: August 07, 2015, 09:58:54 am »

Nothing too fancy.  A small desktop model of tape recorder with some blank tapes.  A recorder that stores sound on magnetic cassette tapes.  It needs to be able to do the basic things like play, rewind, and record using motors and heads, not computer operations only.

As for the pay, depends on what you want me to do.  You haven't said anything about that.  Once I've got the recorder, we can do business.

"Very well, I'll see to it that you get it.

And as I said before, what you would be doing would probably mostly be designing things for ARM to produce, either things I commission from you or things you come up with. Anything that furthers our war effort and helps us gain the upper hand. In the future, perhaps some artifact testing may be involved, though that's not for now."

Ask Aresteve to build him his tape recorder according to his specifications, with plenty of empty tapes.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: August 09, 2015, 11:37:20 pm »

Assuming Leo gets it, he waits to be contacted again.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: August 11, 2015, 05:29:06 am »

((I dunno how pw will wanna do this, what with Sean's SNAFU going on, so I'll wait till he has seen the action for giving the thing and read up on the rp a little before advancing, ok?))

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Do you wanna run this action, or should we wait until Sean's thing is done with?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: August 11, 2015, 09:25:19 am »

((Yeah, you don't know how much of Hephaestus will still be intact for you to be released into yet. :P
Also, I am so terrible at keeping my attention on this for some reason.))

Anton Chernozorov

Quote from: Doc
More then likely a thermophage. Common adaption in many universes, but self destructive. Heat will not help. Starve it.

>There are cooling systems that run on liquid hydrogen. We could vent them ahead of the expansion and try to stop it there. We'd be losing a large section of infrastructure though.

"Thermophage? What is..." Anton begins to ask, before realizing that a detailed answer would require time that is likely in short supply. He attempts to re-rail his thoughts. "..wait, nevermind. Doctor, are there alternatives? Containing it via physical separation from surroundings? Destruction of the point of origin? I'd like to think of backups in case something goes.. something else goes awry. And ARESTEVE, what scale of damage would we incur? More than just the area frozen now? I don't want to think we'll be stripping out coolant from the base's reactors or something similarly important."

Ask questions. Bring up a map of the facilities, with the expanding anomaly zone and the cooling systems ARESTEVE mentioned marked. How long until the "freeze it dead" plan can no longer be employed, and what will we lose when it is employed?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: August 11, 2015, 10:16:20 am »

"Thermophage?  What is that?"

Know your word roots!  ;-p

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: August 11, 2015, 10:27:58 am »

"Thermophage?  What is that?"

Know your word roots!  ;-p
((Hehe. :P
Anton knows what it means, he doesn't know what it is. :) ))

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: August 11, 2015, 01:07:55 pm »

Posting the PM I got from the council I got about the Kugelblitz for PW and Hep to see:

price:6 tokens
Stat Restriction: Exoskeleton and +0 Strength (and +1 AUX when using guided ammo)
range: a few kilometers at most, long enough to clear the blast radius of the largest type of nuke it can carry
ammo: 1 token/1 rocket if guided, 1 token/2 rocket if unguided.
Guided ammo can do course correction, but doesn't really propel itself, velocity mostly comes from launcher.
Damage: standard Kugelblitz round shreds mk. I-III (naturally), a hit would mess a synthfles body up pretty good, even if it isn't a reliable kill. Pretty much same for single battleplate ('milnoplate'), aka kill on good hit. Can somewhat threaten a battlesuit, but will need multiple good hits (3-4) to get a kill.

As for nuke rounds:
1/16th kiloton - 2 tokens for one guided or unguided/ 3 tokens for two unguided
1/8th kiloton - 3 tokens for one guided or unguided/ 5 tokens for two unguided
1 kiloton and above - X+1 for one guided/ X for one unguided, where X is Armory cost of that nuke.
[/b]

So, simply asking for a final lookover by PW and Hep so this can go into the armory
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: August 11, 2015, 01:57:37 pm »

Also, the name changed to kugelblob. Just fyi.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1208 on: August 11, 2015, 04:46:53 pm »

((Yeah, you don't know how much of Hephaestus will still be intact for you to be released into yet. :P
Also, I am so terrible at keeping my attention on this for some reason.))

Anton Chernozorov

Quote from: Doc
More then likely a thermophage. Common adaption in many universes, but self destructive. Heat will not help. Starve it.

>There are cooling systems that run on liquid hydrogen. We could vent them ahead of the expansion and try to stop it there. We'd be losing a large section of infrastructure though.

"Thermophage? What is..." Anton begins to ask, before realizing that a detailed answer would require time that is likely in short supply. He attempts to re-rail his thoughts. "..wait, nevermind. Doctor, are there alternatives? Containing it via physical separation from surroundings? Destruction of the point of origin? I'd like to think of backups in case something goes.. something else goes awry. And ARESTEVE, what scale of damage would we incur? More than just the area frozen now? I don't want to think we'll be stripping out coolant from the base's reactors or something similarly important."

Ask questions. Bring up a map of the facilities, with the expanding anomaly zone and the cooling systems ARESTEVE mentioned marked. How long until the "freeze it dead" plan can no longer be employed, and what will we lose when it is employed?
"Physical Destruction of the origin might work if it is extending from a disparate existence, but It is doubtful if you could physically separate it from anything."

>We can dump the coolant safely, but we will temporarily lose reactor functioning in several areas as well as freeze large sections of production area. It wouldn't be permanent, but it would take us some time to thaw it.

We'll say you've got two more turns to try freezing it before it gets past the point of possible effectiveness.
Posting the PM I got from the council I got about the Kugelblitz for PW and Hep to see:

price:6 tokens
Stat Restriction: Exoskeleton and +0 Strength (and +1 AUX when using guided ammo)
range: a few kilometers at most, long enough to clear the blast radius of the largest type of nuke it can carry
ammo: 1 token/1 rocket if guided, 1 token/2 rocket if unguided.
Guided ammo can do course correction, but doesn't really propel itself, velocity mostly comes from launcher.
Damage: standard Kugelblitz round shreds mk. I-III (naturally), a hit would mess a synthfles body up pretty good, even if it isn't a reliable kill. Pretty much same for single battleplate ('milnoplate'), aka kill on good hit. Can somewhat threaten a battlesuit, but will need multiple good hits (3-4) to get a kill.

As for nuke rounds:
1/16th kiloton - 2 tokens for one guided or unguided/ 3 tokens for two unguided
1/8th kiloton - 3 tokens for one guided or unguided/ 5 tokens for two unguided
1 kiloton and above - X+1 for one guided/ X for one unguided, where X is Armory cost of that nuke.
[/b]

So, simply asking for a final lookover by PW and Hep so this can go into the armory
Looks good to me.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: August 12, 2015, 01:40:29 am »

"Physical Destruction of the origin might work if it is extending from a disparate existence, but It is doubtful if you could physically separate it from anything."

>We can dump the coolant safely, but we will temporarily lose reactor functioning in several areas as well as freeze large sections of production area. It wouldn't be permanent, but it would take us some time to thaw it.

We'll say you've got two more turns to try freezing it before it gets past the point of possible effectiveness.

Anton Chernozorov

Anton ponders his options for a few seconds. "Эх. Ну ладно. Thank you for the advice Doctor, I will defer to your expertise in these matters. ARESTEVE, make sure the personnel in areas of power loss is not in danger, begin shutdown of the affected reactors, and start dumping coolant around the anomaly. If possible, prioritize the fleshpits and the bioforge in the distribution of remaining power supply, those are about the only facilities we can't temporarily shut down without losing their current production run. If the research labs will be affected, give as much time as you can for the teams to contain their experiments before cutting the power.

As a backup plan, I'm thinking we'll position what ships we can allocate to a stationary group that will fire on the source point if this containment plan fails. Gamma rays aren't perfect for firing through atmosphere, but a Grazer class should still pack enough power to atomize that chamber. Too bad about the equipment, but eh. I'll replace it.
" He allows himself a sort of a half-smile. "Important thing is, it worked. Not nearly how I wanted it to, but still."

Give the go-ahead for plan "fighting ice with ice", with as much time as can be allowed for necessary precautions and damage mitigation. Have a Grazer ship in orbit start aiming at the experiment chamber, to try and beat the heat-eater with hard radiation if the first plan fails.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: August 12, 2015, 05:41:10 am »

((Due to lack of response, I'll just go ahead.))

After a few days of letting Leo play with his new toy, Miya speaks up over the intercom again.
"So then, mister Girard, I see you've been enjoying your new recorder. Has it proven to be everything you hoped for?"

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: August 12, 2015, 06:22:12 am »

At the voice, Leo gets the recorder ready, and loads a fresh tape into it.

"It's good, thank you."

"I guess it is time to hammer out the details.  What would you like me to do for you, specifically?"

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: August 12, 2015, 03:04:19 pm »

"The idea would be that, initially, I commission a few designs from you. I'd explain what I want, maybe give some extra requirements such as a price goal. Then you go about designing that with the tools you are given, which would probably expand as you prove you're up to snuff. At least initially though, you'd keep things 'theoretical', and not work with physical prototypes. If possible you'll work together with me or whoever is commissioning the design to maximise work efficiency, or give weekly progress reports. Then in the end I'll review your work, and we can decide if it's within design parameters. If yes, we test it in live conditions, and if it still holds up, we put it into production.

Once you've proven to be capable and reliable, you might also get the chance to work on personal projects, basically meaning you'd get to design whatever, as long as it helps us. In return for your efforts, you get more luxuries, privileges and freedom, or something else should you think of something. What you get exactly would probably be negotiated case-by-case. Of course, there'd be substantial safety measures to act as insurance. Can't just ignore why you were put here initially, I'm sure you understand. In the end, we might ask of you to do some artifact testing, though that's in the far future.

And, just to be complete here, should you try to doublecross us or do anything funny, these new privileges can be taken away again, and involuntary volunteering for the Doc's experiments might be put on the table again, but I sincerely do not wish that to happen. You are far more valuable to us happy and productive than as a prisoner in a bare cell or a test subject.

So, do these conditions sound agreeable to you? If yes, we can move on to your first assignement, getting you some tools to work with, and deciding what you'll be getting for it."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: August 13, 2015, 03:47:51 am »

"Those conditions seem pretty long and complicated.  Like a large plan for promotion or progression, where you're offering me freedom for service.

The thing is, the one thing you can't offer me is freedom, as you work for Steve.  I'm willing to do work for specific benefits, but I don't want you thinking that I'm accepting this on behalf of being granted freedom, as that is the one thing you aren't offering me.  I have a brainchip, and you're proposing I work for the benefit of the last word in dictators.

So yeah, lets hear it about that first assignment, but no talk about freedom while working for Steve."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: August 13, 2015, 04:22:29 am »

"If you're uncomfortable with that, think of it like parole, where a prisoner agrees on doing something or fullfilling some conditions in return for certain priviledges.  That I'd be willing to do."
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 84