Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20

Author Topic: The Guild of Random Ruin Explorers (Tactical RPG)  (Read 25245 times)

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Guild of Random Ruin Explorers (Tactical RPG)
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2014, 09:19:49 pm »

I think we already made a sheet but was not chosen
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2014, 09:42:21 pm »

Spoiler: Ketarii, Magehunter (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 09:54:06 pm by GiglameshDespair »
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2014, 09:47:36 pm »

Heh. Great. I was chosen even despite Nil's instinctive disgust of undead creatures!

Perhaps, we should deplete our gold supply on useful consumables and items before actually wandering somewhere. But it remains pretty unclear what exactly we should buy/craft - most basic items were already given at the start.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2014, 09:50:06 pm »

Probably potions, healing items of any sort, and an extra dagger for everyone maybe? its usually a good idea to have a back up weapon just in case.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2014, 11:09:23 pm »

As brutal overlord, your requests to live are denied.

Really though, I think we should tend towards saving rather than buying stuff immediately. For one thing, I get the feeling that further infrastructure may turn out a lot more valuable in the long run than immediate equipment upgrades. We've only got two crafting stations at the moment, for instance, which probably means only two of us can be useful off-mission right now.

Another problem is that it costs us 10 gold just to embark. If we fall below that amount for any reason, we're either bankrupt or stuck trying to find some probably predatory loan to get us back on our feet. Keeping at least a few expeditions' worth on hand just in case one or more of them doesn't pan out will probably be necessary.

All that being said, a few healing potions or similar panic items might be a worthwhile investment. If we use them properly (and you're probably not getting a second one if you waste the first), they wouldn't actually ever be consumed until they're used to save someone's life, which is usually going to be a very, very nice rate of return.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2014, 01:31:23 am »

Ole' Chauny has a considerable additional amount of dough on his person, and is a surefire way to get more gold so long as he takes part in battle. I've been thinking of how we should do our first few encounters, and have come up with a basic plan:

Step 1.) Have Chauner charge into a relatively weak mob, letting him use his attack for the turn, and procing the treasure bonus.

Step 2.) before said mob has a chance of retaliating further, have Boldbold rescue him and ferry him to the back of the line.

Step 3.) Let Jagen Barthold fight off all the mean nasty things while Nil heals.

Step 4.) Collect phat lewtz.

Rinse and repeat until Chauner builds up enough XP to be able to fight on the front line without dying upon being breathed on too hard, assuming his chronic gold addiction doesn't do him in first.

As for spending, can we take the money off of Chauner while he's in the hall? It would be much safer then trying to do so in a dungeon.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 01:34:25 am by Propman »
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2014, 01:35:55 am »

For one thing, I get the feeling that further infrastructure may turn out a lot more valuable in the long run than immediate equipment upgrades.
I concur.

We've only got two crafting stations at the moment, for instance, which probably means only two of us can be useful off-mission right now.
Oh joy, I guess I know who's not levelling up any time soon.

Ole' Chauny has a considerable additional amount of dough on his person, and is a surefire way to get more gold so long as he takes part in battle. I've been thinking of how we should do our first few encounters, and have come up with a basic plan:

Step 1.) Have Chauner charge into a relatively weak mob, letting him use his attack for the turn, and procing the treasure bonus.

Step 2.) before said mob has a chance of retaliating further, have Boldbold rescue him and ferry him to the back of the line.

Step 3.) Let Jagen Barthold fight off all the mean nasty things while Nil heals.

Step 4.) Collect phat lewtz.

Rinse and repeat until Chauner builds up enough XP to be able to fight on the front line without dying upon being breathed on too hard, assuming his chronic gold addiction doesn't do him in first.

As for spending, can we take the money off of Chauner while he's in the hall? It would be much safer then trying to do so in a dungeon.
Actually, I like this plan.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2014, 01:45:34 am »

1. What treasure bonus? I just see the 1/dungeon lootfinding thingy. You just mean so he qualifies as having taken part in the battle?

2. I'm not sure we can count on our weaselrider being able to snatch and haul people around like that.

I really hope the guild resources aren't already taking that into account. Then again, it's not like we need anything right now.

We've only got two crafting stations at the moment, for instance, which probably means only two of us can be useful off-mission right now.
*cough* I uh, was just thinking until the weasels get settled, that maybe you'd be happier with the yes I was plotting to use you as a self-mining vein of gold. It's just more efficient!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2014, 01:57:01 am »

2. I'm not sure we can count on our weaselrider being able to snatch and haul people around like that.
People, no. Tiny little leprechauns, *shrug*

*cough* I uh, was just thinking until the weasels get settled, that maybe you'd be happier with the yes I was plotting to use you as a self-mining vein of gold. It's just more efficient!
If I level up I can get better craft skills, and thus more gold per mission sat out. EFFICIENCY!
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2014, 02:07:27 am »

1x/dungeon: Detailed search - Find a secret cache of treasure left behind after winning a battle.

In other words, think of him as a walking Amulet Coin. Of course, if that means that Chauner simply needs to be present in order for search to activate, even better, though leveling him would be in good interest as I'm quite sure later in the game keeping him underleveled would mean that he'd become a priority target for anything ranged, and magical.

Chaun' weighs roughly sixty pounds with his spear in tow, but as he starts to amass hundreds of pounds worth of golden objects, I can see where attempting to carry him would be somewhat problematic. That leads to the question then: does a unit's movement cycle end upon attacking, or can they move again if they have points left over? Or is that restricted to mounted units? If so, then he could potentially simply run to and back, while Bathold or Boldbold move in front of him to act as a buffer.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 02:12:01 am by Propman »
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2014, 02:12:41 am »

Really though, I think we should tend towards saving rather than buying stuff immediately. [...]
Another problem is that it costs us 10 gold just to embark. If we fall below that amount for any reason, we're either bankrupt or stuck trying to find some probably predatory loan to get us back on our feet. Keeping at least a few expeditions' worth on hand just in case one or more of them doesn't pan out will probably be necessary.
I agree. Depending on how much a Gate costs, having one for ourselves would be great. I doubt we'll have many dungeons that will net us under 10g, to be honest, especially considering the crafting and/or weaselgrowing going on at the same time, but it wouldn't hurt to be sure of a constant income.

Also, I'd suggest to let lower-level characters battle first/more, so they don't fall behind. It's like X-Com: train the rookies, so it's not game over if (when?) your best soldiers die.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2014, 03:02:42 am »

1x/dungeon: Detailed search - Find a secret cache of treasure left behind after winning a battle.

In other words, think of him as a walking Amulet Coin.
Only for one battle per dungeon, though. I would tend to think simply being in the battle counts for skill usage and leveling purposes, but yeah, not sure.

I agree. Depending on how much a Gate costs, having one for ourselves would be great. I doubt we'll have many dungeons that will net us under 10g, to be honest, especially considering the crafting and/or weaselgrowing going on at the same time, but it wouldn't hurt to be sure of a constant income.
I assume it'll be a really expensive investment, but presumably at some point worthwhile for those in our profession.

Another advantage is that it'd give us complete freedom to bail without particular cost*. Right now we ideally want to stretch each delving as far as possible, which is obviously a recipe for disaster.

*Actually, that assumes that owning a gate allows us to operate it without any kind of cost. We don't necessarily know that's true.

Also, I'd suggest to let lower-level characters battle first/more, so they don't fall behind. It's like X-Com: train the rookies, so it's not game over if (when?) your best soldiers die.
More, yeah. First I'm rather wary of; I'd tend to think our first run or two should be fairly powerful to test the waters, and I'm not thrilled about the concept of sending all our unarmored 3 HP squishies into the same battle. I'd also think including a "veteran" in each party would be worthwhile in general, though as our levels even out that might become less of a meaningful distinction.

Speaking of which, I have somewhat similar opinions on battle leadership. I generally feel that if you want to unlock and improve your leadership ability, you ought to have the chance to do so. Of course, this is somewhat complicated by the fact that it goes slower if you don't actually strategize, and that if you make a bad call everyone you've ever loved will die. Leading battles routinely should probably be reserved for those willing to attempt to make plans, even if only to level faster, unless they just happen to have a really convenient bonus we'd like to use.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2014, 03:10:10 am »

I'd also think including a "veteran" in each party would be worthwhile in general, though as our levels even out that might become less of a meaningful distinction.
Yes, of course. Rookies need someone to look up to, and every dungeoneering party will need some punch. I did notice though, that XP cost is in battles, not dungeons, so the odds should be evened rather quickly.

On another note, is there a way to sell crafted items? I'm guessing Barthold can help us there, but there seems to be nothing written about it.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2014, 08:17:04 am »

Nirur, can you process my sheet please?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2014, 03:17:01 pm »

I rethought my gold costs. Each item tier doubles in cost over the previous tier, rather than tripling.

Sarrak: I changed your silly defensive debuff into a DoT spell.

I'm sharply limiting inventory slots. You can all carry healing potions around, but you'll be limiting what you can bring back. I think I'll grant everyone a single action before the first mission, which can be used to find a specific type of merchant (Backpacks, maybe?), help build something, earn a small bit of coin on some random job, searching for crafting supplies, actually crafting, etc.

The first buildings will cost 24g and a few person-turns of construction work. You building a basic gate before the first mission is quite possible, but it will be slightly worse than the rental (less intel, since none of you have any sort of distance viewing or precog, and you don't have any magic things to take their place).

I failed to mention food. You can buy 10 tier 1 food items for 4g. These last for an entire dungeon run, but you also need to feed those remaining behind and any giant weasels you may have. You can buy cheaper food, but you'll get debuffs for trying to adventure on whatever-it-is-that-peasants-eat. Likewise, you'll get small buffs for more expensive food, but that's probably not worth it yet.

Everyone sitting behind in the base gets one action per battle. They have to personally input their action each battle (no orders from IronyOwl, and no setting yourself to autocraft until everyone else is back). It is my hope that this will somehow keep people interested.

Here's how battle participation works:
Initially, you can gate 4 people into a mission. You also have 4 battle slots. (I'm not yet sure what will increase battle slots.) Everyone not in a battle slot, but in the dungeon, will be in reserve. Everyone in a battle slot will appear in the battle, and will gain equal XP, whether they single-handedly slay five dragons, or stand in a corner guarding the exit. You currently have no way to swap reserves into a battle mid-fight, and I'm not sure how I'd handle XP for that anyway. Between battles, you may freely swap people between reserve and battle slots. Between battles, those in reserve may cast spells (Healing, searching the battlefield for treasure, summons that last for multiple battles, etc).

You need to return to base to level up. Once a character has enough XP to level up, they gain no more xp for that dungeon.

That is not an ability he has, even for small yet strangely heavy fairy-types.

Personal wealth is assumed to be stored in the guild-hall in a safe only accessible for the owner and the current guild master, unless stated otherwise. The guild master is free to levy taxes.

I'll generally be more-or-less making battles scale to the level of the entire party in the dungeon (including reserves). The main risk is someone getting bored and leaving if they're only ever allowed to be a crafting slave.

On another note, is there a way to sell crafted items? I'm guessing Barthold can help us there, but there seems to be nothing written about it.
Yes. Merchants may spend an action trying to sell something, or you may try to find a merchant to sell to. You'll probably get about 15%-20% without merchant skills, and 30%-50% with merchant I and nowhere to sell from.

Nirur, can you process my sheet please?
No, sorry. It would take to long to process every sheet before they're in the game, and I'd rather make IronyOwl choose recruits based on a theme instead of on who rolled the best.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20