Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: [INSECTS] - Swarm Race Ideas  (Read 16449 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: [INSECTS] - Swarm Race Ideas
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2014, 12:47:37 pm »

Clothing thickness is calculated relative to the size of the creature wearing it.  If two creatures with very different sizes wear the same clothing, it will be thinner on the smaller creature.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #106 on: June 26, 2014, 01:17:08 pm »

I had a hunch, but thanks for confirming it. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #107 on: August 13, 2014, 10:58:26 pm »

I think that the bugs should be masters of biology. For example, they should have their own underground crops that no one else can grow. If possible, make these require the use of dead enemy body parts as fertilizer or something. They should be able to brew lots of things, and to make leather items. Metal should be prohibited as much as possible. I think wood should be fine, though. Maybe even rock. They should have aphids and other custom livestock unique to them.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Rukja

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2014, 01:03:28 am »

Well in the first Post it was sayed no Starcraft Like Creep cause FPS

ok but i still like the Idea of, that they only could build on Something like that.

Soo when i played with other civs and so, i found a block called fleshblock

how about that Insects can only Build there Workshops on a floor like that?
so it would be possibel to have something like the creep stuff but without having the problems of cleaning civ member. (since its in game ways just a regulary floor)

Zeni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2014, 01:10:57 am »

I know you said that there wasn't going to be a Queen ruling the Hive. because warlocks have a similar mechanic...
But I just cant see a Hive based race that does not have a large queen that spawns the eggs/larva.
The reason colonial insects exist like they do is because the reproductive female has a very high chance of passing on her genes when she is tended to and defended by her daughters.
To me that is the definition, or at least core of a Hive race.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 14, 2014, 07:45:10 am »

well maybe we can make the queen only an egg layer and give more interesting roles to other castes. Therefore you have a queen that you must defend with your life and you also have other nobles that you might also have to defend with your life. Just my 2 cents
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2014, 08:24:51 am »

I think we should have multiple queens, but they should be rare and thus valuable.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2014, 12:47:14 pm »

Idea: a way to transform civ-members into butcherable livestock, mimicking the callous efficiency in which insects will cast off their weak and incapacitated. (Such as the treatment worker bees get upon returning to the hive too drunk to fly straight, or the way excess drones in ant colonies are most often killed by the colony's own workers.) To get around any ghost issues, I'm thinking it could be a free reaction that kills the worker and spawns a non-sentient copy that can be treated like any other livestock.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #113 on: August 14, 2014, 02:49:40 pm »

If you remove a civ member's ability to speak, it should become butcherable.  This may cause bad thoughts though.

Herbalist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 15, 2014, 11:18:54 am »

Would it be possible to have special Wodcutter and Miner Castes that dont need Tools but have their Pickaxes and Axes as part of ther body?
“It occurred to me that if I could invent a machine - a gun - which could by its rapidity of fire, enable one man to do as much battle duty as a hundred, that it would, to a large extent supersede the necessity of large armies, and consequently, exposure to battle and disease [would] be greatly diminished.”
― Richard Jordan Gatling

-Nihil-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 15, 2014, 11:31:07 am »

I think we want to stay away from a unit being born specialized already. It takes away from the resource allocation which is part of the fun. A worker caste should be sufficient with bonuses for lumber, mining, farming, and some other similar roles. Then you could make a natural pick or axe with this biomass resource.

Herbalist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 15, 2014, 12:00:07 pm »

Or maybe u could upgrade ur workercaste with a multi tool attached to there body?
“It occurred to me that if I could invent a machine - a gun - which could by its rapidity of fire, enable one man to do as much battle duty as a hundred, that it would, to a large extent supersede the necessity of large armies, and consequently, exposure to battle and disease [would] be greatly diminished.”
― Richard Jordan Gatling

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 15, 2014, 12:10:06 pm »

I don't think you can make multitools. The way tools currently work is that for woodcutter an axe is a weapon that becomes more efficent with the axedwarf skill. For miner, a pick is a weapon that becomes more efficent with mining skill and for hunter, a crossbow is a weapon that becomes more efficent with the marksdwarf skill. So unless it's possible to make a weapon that becomes more efficient with all those skills combined, it isn't happening. There might be some other problems that i don't know as well.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Herbalist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 15, 2014, 12:31:03 pm »

But is it possibly to have a special caste that can mine without a pickaxe for example?
― Richard Jordan Gatling

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 15, 2014, 12:55:35 pm »

But is it possibly to have a special caste that can mine without a pickaxe for example?
Nope.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11