Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19

Author Topic: Google's upcoming robot taxi fleet and the industries it renders obsolete  (Read 27292 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

I also imagine automated cars wouldn't be able to deal with off road conditions, such as driving on property, four wheel driving etc.

Why? If humans can operate machinery in any situation, robots can operate it better.
The automated cars would have to be built to handle such situations (in a similar way cars are built specifically to handle off road conditions), and given the very small market share of people who would use their vehicles for that purpose its difficult to see a very profitable market there.

Farmers are incredibly profitable.

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile

I also imagine automated cars wouldn't be able to deal with off road conditions, such as driving on property, four wheel driving etc.

Why? If humans can operate machinery in any situation, robots can operate it better.
The automated cars would have to be built to handle such situations (in a similar way cars are built specifically to handle off road conditions), and given the very small market share of people who would use their vehicles for that purpose its difficult to see a very profitable market there.

Farmers already have trucks, some of which are over seventy years old and still in operation. I think they'd want an automatic tractor that can be programmed to tend their fields before they'd want a ride that may or may not break down on the way to pick them up, not even speaking of those that still use horse-drawn wagons.
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile

Yeah, thats not what I meant.

There seems to be little accomplished by installing autopilot systems into those vehicles in most cases. It would just add cost.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well... this robotaxi thing would be useful in the big cities...  wonder how well it'll fair against aggressive drivers...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It'll be slower than subway, I imagine.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Well... this robotaxi thing would be useful in the big cities...  wonder how well it'll fair against aggressive drivers...
Judging from the video it wil just give way to aggressive drivers as it seems to be very very cautious.

Really I wouldn't be opposed to a separate motorway for automated cars. It would reduce normal traffic and remove the human errors completely from the robo traffic.

Maybe a bit slower but it would go to far more places.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Then you get people going onto the automated roads to save time.
And they'd get the same thing as the people I see going on bus-only roads to 'save time'. A hefty fine and points against their license.

Not to mention the bus lanes have a barricade which only opens for the bus transponder... wouldn't be hard to do the same for autocars.

And with every autocar talking to each other, they could easily identify the non-talking car on the autoway.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Then you get people going onto the automated roads to save time.
Usually they make laws against that.  Effective enforcement is another issue entirely.

Probably, but people still use taxis and drive within the cities.  If you can give motorists available low cost parking spots and low fares, they may consider using it rather then going through parking hell. 

Using it as a half-arsed replacement for taxi drivers, you ain't gonna change much, just end up putting people out of the job.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Improving the subway system would be more cost effective than taxis for transporting people in dense urban areas, I reckon. The place where these robo taxis can really be effective is suburban areas.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Improving the subway system would be more cost effective than taxis for transporting people in dense urban areas, I reckon. The place where these robo taxis can really be effective is suburban areas.
The subway system has never been a convenient option because it can only go to fixed points. The auto-taxis are point to point, much like a normal taxi. They can drop you off anywhere after picking you up from anywhere.

So instead of walking 9 blocks to the subway station you could use your phone to call a robotaxi while you are finishing up your last drink or paying the check for your meal, step outside and have it already there. You already told it where you want to go when you summoned it, so it starts driving once you're in and takes you exactly where you want to go.

And as someone earlier said, all this could possibly be free if you don't mind a few ads.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

PTW, interesting stuff.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

The subway system has never been a convenient option because it can only go to fixed points. The auto-taxis are point to point, much like a normal taxi. They can drop you off anywhere after picking you up from anywhere.

So instead of walking 9 blocks to the subway station you could use your phone to call a robotaxi while you are finishing up your last drink or paying the check for your meal, step outside and have it already there. You already told it where you want to go when you summoned it, so it starts driving once you're in and takes you exactly where you want to go.

And as someone earlier said, all this could possibly be free if you don't mind a few ads.
Compare the amount of people in the subways with the width of the road. Robot taxis don't have the capacity.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Compare the amount of people in the subways with the width of the road. Robot taxis don't have the capacity.
I'm not debating the capacity. You can absolutely shuffle more people along the subway than through individual cars. And the subway in my area is a fantastic option if:

1. You don't mind paying $5 to park
2. You are willing to pay the $5-7 for the trip (both ways)
3. Your destination is within walking distance of a subway station*

That last one is the gotya though. Most destinations are not within a short walk of the subway stations.

Compared to that, (in this theoretical argument between autotaxi and subway) I could have the taxi pick me up at home (no parking worries) or wherever I happen to be, take me directly to my chosen destination, and possibly do that for free.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And if nothing else, hopefully the taxis will be cheaper than parking, so you can take them to the subway if you're too far from one but a subway goes where you are going.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

And if nothing else, hopefully the taxis will be cheaper than parking, so you can take them to the subway if you're too far from one but a subway goes where you are going.
Also true! I might be tempted to use the metro if they had a free shuttle there which picked me up. As it stands, I would have to walk to the bus stop about a mile away and then wait there anywhere between 15-45 minutes, pay to catch a bus, pay to change to a metro connect bus, then get on the metro and pay to ride. And then if my destination isn't within walking distance, figure out which bus goes near there and pay to ride it.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19