Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Transistor - The makers of Bastion go sci-fi  (Read 6541 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Transistor - The makers of Bastion go sci-fi
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2014, 12:17:10 am »

Almost certain. I mean, I can run every single other game in my library, which includes KSP, Civ 5, Portal 2, XCOM: EU and Torchlight 2 to throw out some random examples.

Edit 1: I decided to blow the dust out of the fans, so that might make some difference. Putting it back together.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 12:41:54 am by My Name is Immaterial »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2014, 01:01:02 am »

Jaunt+purge+spark is awesome. Jaunt to your target, then jaunt over them repeatedly until well done cooked. Forget to leave adequate distance between you and it at the end? Oh well, you can keep doing the move while waiting for everything else to cool down too! Quite pleasantly surprised by the tactical variety this game gives.

Completed my first playthrough (I think) and am currently going through a second time in hopes of finding more stuff I missed.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2014, 01:34:06 am »

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 11:20:02 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2014, 02:44:09 am »

Jaunt+purge+spark is awesome. Jaunt to your target, then jaunt over them repeatedly until well done cooked. Forget to leave adequate distance between you and it at the end? Oh well, you can keep doing the move while waiting for everything else to cool down too! Quite pleasantly surprised by the tactical variety this game gives.

Completed my first playthrough (I think) and am currently going through a second time in hopes of finding more stuff I missed.
I prefer comboing void void void (with crash/purge) hide move to back then bounce (with some damage upgrade). It deals like 1400 damage in one hit ;D

I also like Help with Ping/Spark for the aoe spamming backstabs.

I didn't expect this, but I actually like it quite a bit less in some respects than Bastion o_O I think that the core elements that they kept were certainly good, but the story is failing to grab me at all thus far and I'm finding the challenge much, much less overall than I did for the other game (despite having my limiters all on).

Bleh. Well, we'll see.
It feels like the opposite of bastion to me. Fun combat but overall eh story. :<

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2014, 02:47:06 pm »

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 11:19:58 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2014, 02:54:48 pm »

Combat is the part of the game that I can't get warm with.
None of the function combinations seem to suit me. I always seem to be lacking points and time() to combine/chain up anything meaningful.
It's just not satisfying at all and makes me play the game in short sessions.

Nightscar982

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2014, 11:41:38 pm »

I find triple void less efficient than a double on terms of damage to turn time, so I used void+ the damage over time one, and hit them with bounce and flood after that. This was only for one fight though, because... well.. You'll find out.
In all things you were. In nothing you become.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2014, 03:35:27 am »

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 11:19:52 am by Vector »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2014, 03:49:09 am »

Transistor managed to crash my AMD drivers three times so far, and I think the last time it crashed it also corrupted its save files. :/

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2014, 08:42:20 am »

Spoiler: END OF GAME SPOILERS (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My take: The voice acting and music is fantastic. The combat is enjoyable but not outstanding. The story is fine but, while I enjoyed it, it's very easy to see why others wouldn't.

Both Bastion and Transistor would be ideal on the Vita or 3DS. There's something a bit unbalanced about playing a fairly light budget game on a massive gaming PC. Makes me feel weird... :-|
Apparently the game is very vram intensive, so it would be able to run on a portable system as is.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 09:00:34 am by NobodyPro »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2014, 02:23:45 pm »

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 11:19:50 am by Vector »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2014, 02:56:21 pm »

Transistor managed to crash my AMD drivers three times so far, and I think the last time it crashed it also corrupted its save files. :/
Good to know I'm not crazy.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2014, 03:26:09 pm »

It looks like a lot of people that liked Bastion dont like this game that much, and as I think that bastion was not that good game (only good thing about that game was voice over and interesting art for the first 1h), I may actually like this one, as from looking around it has much better game mechanics and gameplay. Dont like the art style that much, looks too pale and monoton. Will probably wait for price drop, especially as the game is short
Make love not war

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2014, 02:18:33 pm »

I'm not so sure any of that is the actual story.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2014, 04:54:38 pm »

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 11:16:46 am by Vector »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5