Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: One Day Mafia: Mafia Win!  (Read 10334 times)

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
Re: One Day Mafia: Day 1
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2014, 12:18:39 am »

If I had to vote right now, it would probably be against either Group 2 or my own, due to the fact that those teams seem vaguely suspicious what with the having a player that hasn't posted at all. That proof would be anything that made that team suspicious, such as deflecting questions.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2014, 04:00:24 am »

Day will end in 21 hours.

Vote Count:
Group 1 (0) - Group 4 (pisskop)
Group 2 (1) - Group 1 (Whitius Opus, TheDarkStar)
Group 3 (1) - Group 4 (notquitethere)
Group 4 (1) - Group 2 (4maskwolf)

Current Result: No lynch.

Not voting from:
Group 1 (Fnff)
Group 2 (MyOwnWorstEnemy, mastahcheese)
Group 3 (Nerjin, Tarawochir, BlitzDungeoneer)
Group 4 (tn5421)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 04:09:39 am by Cheeetar »
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2014, 07:12:26 am »

GROUP 3

Please explain your reasoning.

Tawa
Where are you?!

Not here, but the rest of his team is so it's not really an issue.

Quote from: As above
Nerjin
Group 3 ~ do you think random votes will be helpful at the beginning of this game?
No more useful than it would be in any other game. As in not at all, a waste of time, and counter productive. What did you really plan to accomplish by randomly voting? At best it is a minor annoyance for any competent player, ESPECIALLY when you announce it as such. You may as well have simply put the text in pink for all the good it will do...
Interesting, but I'm not necessarily dealing with competent players and if voting them rustles their jimmies, to use the youth parlance, then it's a good strategy. Do you only believe in using your vote when you know who scum might be?

I do. That's what the vote is for. Town can't really afford a mislynch here due to the whole one day mafia thing. We're at a 4 person mylo right now and I take some offense to you wasting our time with a "Oh let's rustle some jimmies" vote. Granted, with this set up, that does seem about all you can do.

Ugh... This is way more difficult than I had anticipated... Anyways, as day ends soon and we need to actually lynch somebody or we lose and I don't want us to lose due to not doing anything... Group 3 will vote Group 1 (The Dark Star, Fniff, and Opus) due to the fact that they are the team who seems to have contributed least.

I really would prefer more to go on but... what can ya do?

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2014, 11:53:08 am »

4mask:
Also, Everyone (including my teammates): What is the one thing you look for on day one as a surefire scumtell?  Why do you look for this over others?  Do you believe that scumhunting on day one makes a difference, or is it meaningless noise?  Do you believe it is better to push the veterans or the new players to try and crack them with scumhunting?  Why?
Exteme defensiveness. In other words, trying to defend against someone's accusation when there isn't one. I look for this because it's extremely likely that beginner scum might be so parinoid that they see what isn't there. It's not surefire though, but I don't think any scumtell really is. Scum hunting on day one does make a difference. Asking/answering all of these questions, trying to stay looking like town is a lot to focus on and it could cause the scum to slip because there's so much going on. So do I think that scumhunting on day one can yield results. I think one could get more reaction from pressuring a fairly new player, but the results might not necessarily mean scum. Veterans probably know how to handle pressure extremely well, so it might not work so well with them. Pressuring might yield results, but not much.

NQT:
MOWE
Group 2 ~ which team do you foresee being hardest to read?
I'd say, for me, group three because I've had the least experience with the people in it.
And yet group 3 contains Nerjin who you of course have the most experience with. Did you really think that response through?
I did, actually. I assume you're talking about my relationship with him in RL, yes? While I know him extremly well in RL, I've only played mafia with him once about six months ago. I'm afraid I'm not sure how he plays mafia, since he didn't play very much in the game we were in together. This is my logic. Or were you talking about something else?

Group 4: Do you think that voting as a group is better than voting individually in a normal game? Why or why not?
A group vote is more powerful as you can draw on the combined wisdom of your team-mates to make a good choice. Do you disagree?
I agree completely.

Blitz:
Group 2 : Which group do you think is hardest to predict, and which do you think will contribute the most to the scumhunt?
Judging by what's happened so far, I'd say that group one is the hardest to predict because they haven't been around much. The group that seems to have contributed most would be group 4. They've been around a bit more than others and NQT has contributed most to the scum hunt thus far.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2014, 03:42:11 pm »

Group Three

Nerjin
Please explain your reasoning.
At the time of posting your team had appeared to contribute the least. I know you don't like to use your vote aggressively, but I do.

We're at a 4 person mylo right now and I take some offense to you wasting our time with a "Oh let's rustle some jimmies" vote. Granted, with this set up, that does seem about all you can do.
It's not wasting time if I'd managed to get a a telling reaction out of someone.

Blitz
If I had to vote right now, it would probably be against either Group 2 or my own, due to the fact that those teams seem vaguely suspicious what with the having a player that hasn't posted at all. That proof would be anything that made that team suspicious, such as deflecting questions.
Unfortunately, with the time being so tight in this game, there'll be a lot of scope for false positives where people are too busy and not intentionally lurking.

Group Two

MOWE
While I know him extremly well in RL, I've only played mafia with him once about six months ago. I'm afraid I'm not sure how he plays mafia, since he didn't play very much in the game we were in together.
OK, thinking about it some more, that's pretty fair. I'm not sure how my friends and loved ones would play mafia either.

Your play is very passive: your team hasn't said anything in nearly 24 hours and you just pop in and answer some questions. How do you foresee winning this?

Group One Where are you?

tn5421

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGUS + WIFOM = Fail
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr (PARTIALLY NSFW)
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2014, 05:05:53 pm »

Vote Count:

Not voting from:
Group 1 (Fnff)
Group 4 (tn5421)

This is in error, as I authorized notquitethere to vote for me.
[21:23:48] <GhostFrog> bdsm is always more fun with a restraining order
[9:00:59 PM] kingdomacesbeta: Actually knowing what you're doing is overrated.

Mafia Dossier: MafiaScum Wiki - tn5421

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2014, 05:16:04 pm »

Vote Count:

Not voting from:
Group 1 (Fnff)
Group 4 (tn5421)

Hence why his vote carries the weight to vote for Group 3, despite the fact that only a third of Group 4 are voting for Group 3. You've authorized him to vote on behalf of Group 4, but you yourself are not voting.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2014, 05:44:01 pm »

In response to questions, I'm here now. I'm not sure about the other people on my team, though.

Group 2: Since you are the most experienced team, who do you think is scummiest right now?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

tn5421

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGUS + WIFOM = Fail
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr (PARTIALLY NSFW)
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2014, 09:17:27 pm »

Vote Count:

Not voting from:
Group 1 (Fnff)
Group 4 (tn5421)

Hence why his vote carries the weight to vote for Group 3, despite the fact that only a third of Group 4 are voting for Group 3. You've authorized him to vote on behalf of Group 4, but you yourself are not voting.

Vote: Group Three

I hereby authorize notquitethere to use my vote as he sees fit.  My vote should, from this moment forward, always match his personal and group vote.
[21:23:48] <GhostFrog> bdsm is always more fun with a restraining order
[9:00:59 PM] kingdomacesbeta: Actually knowing what you're doing is overrated.

Mafia Dossier: MafiaScum Wiki - tn5421

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2014, 09:55:31 pm »

TDS:
Group 2: Since you are the most experienced team, who do you think is scummiest right now?
From the POV of MOWE: NQT. So essentially group 4. He's using a pressure vote on a team that just now has a player in the game, which Nerjin had voted on before, so is basically bandwagoning. I don't remember the rest of his team doing anything noteworthy so I'll have to judge them based on him and I haven't really seen any scumtells.

NQT:
Your play is very passive: your team hasn't said anything in nearly 24 hours and you just pop in and answer some questions. How do you foresee winning this?
Well i forsaw winning this while okaying most of my movements with my teammates, as I did in GBAU. I'm not one to take initiative to do anything for fear of messing up, especially when my actions affect others. Since my leader is otherwise occupied and my other teammate has limited access, I'm by myself. I haven't wanted to make any moves without my teammates knowing about it, but since they're absent, I'll do my best to win it for them.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2014, 10:14:12 pm »

I'M HERE AGAIN.

Hmm...

Timecheck

MOWE is doing a fine job answering questions, I'll be back when I know when this ends.  So in like five minutes, which is how long it will take me to check.

See you in a few.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2014, 10:26:10 pm »

*checks time*
*flips out because is going to sleep in less than two hours and day will end before that*
*realizes his vote is on the team he wants it on anyway*

I hereby authorize MOWE and Mastahcheese the power to collectively override my vote in such a case as it should become necessary

notquitethere: Your case against group one is nonexistent.  Yes, some of it's members are not here right now.  No, that does not mean we should lynch them, particularly in a one day game.  YOU KNOW THIS, YET YOU VOTE THEM ANYWAY.

If you can come up with THREE good reasons why they are scum over any other team, I may be willing to remove my vote.  However, in the meantime, that move smacks WAY too much of a bandwagon.  You apply the second vote to team one, knowing that they are unlikely to respond to your attack my tying it up, thus winning it for team scum over there.  I've seen this gambit before, in the hands of other experienced players, though usually more blatantly and at the last moment.  I must complement you on the finesse of that move, but this does not fly.  Not here.   Not with me.  Not this close to the end of the day.  You know that one does not pressure vote within 18 hours of day end, yet you do it anyway.  This smacks of scumminess to me.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2014, 01:56:05 am »

Ah, I got home a bit late.

Final Vote Count:

Group 1 (2) - Group 4 (pisskop, notquitethere), Group 3 (Nerjin)
Group 3 (0)

Group 1 is lynched! They were all Town, and Group 4 (the Mafia) wins. Congratulations to tn5421, notquitethere, & pisskop.

This was not the most successful experiment- activity was way lower than I think is usual, and this is probably attributable to when I started the game (?). Also, a lot of people weren't very confident posting, which is fine: try to keep in mind that Mafia's a game though, and the only way you can really let your team down is by not playing. Hopefully somebody can take this concept (which I personally think is kinda cool) and turn it into something workable.
I've played some mafia.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: One Day Mafia: Mafia Win!
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2014, 02:24:36 am »

The thing is, in a single day there's really no good basis for lynching anyone specific.

Potential change: each time the day ends there's a random and decreasing chance that the game will be extended instead. For instance, the day could have a 1/6 chance of ending, then 1/5 etc, so at the end of each deadline town have to be sure who they're lynching and there's something solid to hang votes against people on.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: One Day Mafia: Mafia Win!
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2014, 02:28:52 am »

I'm worried with something like that there would be a game that could potentially stretch out for quite a long while.
I've played some mafia.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7