Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: One Day Mafia: Mafia Win!  (Read 10308 times)

tn5421

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGUS + WIFOM = Fail
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr (PARTIALLY NSFW)
Re: One Day Mafia: Day 1
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2014, 01:46:52 pm »

To respond to your question, tn, this my first time playing Mafia. Therefore, I have no goddamn clue.

Get one of your groupmates to answer, and learn from his answer :3
[21:23:48] <GhostFrog> bdsm is always more fun with a restraining order
[9:00:59 PM] kingdomacesbeta: Actually knowing what you're doing is overrated.

Mafia Dossier: MafiaScum Wiki - tn5421

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2014, 01:59:35 pm »

To respond to your question, tn, this my first time playing Mafia. Therefore, I have no goddamn clue.

Get one of your groupmates to answer, and learn from his answer :3
Learning what the hell I'm supposed to do is part of the fun, though ;)
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2014, 02:38:51 pm »

Speaking of new to the site, hi!

@Darkstar
Group 4: How do you think scum will try to lead mislynches?

Scum will most likely have to focus their fire on one group, targeting the weakest players to try to convince.

@Nerjin
Which of the teams would you most like to know is CONFIRMED TOWN? Which team would it matter least to be confirmed town?

At this point, Team 2.  Knowing for sure whether my initial reactions are correct would make my hunting easier.
  As for the least important to confirm town I would pick team 1.  I believe that would provide the least amount of information.

@4maskwolf
Heyo guys.  I guess I'll ask the same question, since you have a new player.  How will that affect your play?

I presume I'm the new player?  That makes me sad.  I assume that there isn't much one can do to change their own play in the thread, only use the QT to post information and opinions, occasional suggestions.

@WhiteOpus
Do you think that NQT will lead your team's scumhunting?
Id think we will all do our part, and the player most available will field answers.

@MOWE
Do you think that voting as a group is better than voting individually in a normal game? Why or why not?
I don't think it is.  Voting individually offers more information, as each player must justify their vote and will often drop associative tells that will help scum hunters.  Allowing players to hide behind the votes of their teammates we lose out on potential information.

---

Group1:  How important is it to hear from every player?  With so many quick topics, and privately electable leaders, does the burden of scum hunting upon any player decrease?

Group2:  RVS sparks smalltalk, which leads to general discussion of strategy and emotional tells.  What makes RQS or very pointed questions more viable for scumhunting?

group3:  Do you think infrequent posting or partial team participation within the game thread is a sign of scumminess?  How do you think the three-headed nature of the game affect participation?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2014, 02:53:17 pm »

lol sorry pisskop, I was under the impression that TN was a new player for some reason, I wasn't referring to you.

My mistake.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2014, 03:11:56 pm »

In response to the question from pisskop, as I once again cannot be bothered to shorten down his quote, yes I do thinks so. This is mostly because of that scumhunting guide I once read, which suggests that mafia players have to play a more cautious game to avoid anything to slip. Partial team participation would probably imply that the team picked a certain person because of either : they are scum, and that player is the least likely to get them noticed OR he/she is their leader.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2014, 06:14:54 pm »

Mafia is complicated...
Team One: Your team consists of some newer players and TDS.  How will this affect your gameplay and group work?
Probably terribly, considering I am slightly overwhelmed here.

Group 1: Do you feel that the diversity of playstyles and experience of members within a group will hinder scumhunting? Why or why not?
I imagine new players are quicker on the draw in terms of scumhunting and more prone to being wrong about things. Again, I'm sort of new to this, but bullshitting will get you into a lot of places!

Group 1 ~ do you have any special insight as to how we can possibly win this?
... Blind hope?

Group1:  How important is it to hear from every player?  With so many quick topics, and privately electable leaders, does the burden of scum hunting upon any player decrease?
I imagine so. I mean, bystander theory dictates that the more people there are in a bad situation the less likely they are to help. It'd be a good idea to just randomly select a player and tell them to scumhunt as much as they can.

Man, I am in way over my head here.

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2014, 07:03:54 pm »

Group2:  RVS sparks smalltalk, which leads to general discussion of strategy and emotional tells.  What makes RQS or very pointed questions more viable for scumhunting?
Personally, I find it hard to keep up a lie when so much is going on. When you have to constantly answer questions that require much thought, it's hard to focus on keeping up the lie and it's more likely one will make a slip.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tn5421

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGUS + WIFOM = Fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2014, 07:46:43 pm »

lol sorry pisskop, I was under the impression that TN was a new player for some reason, I wasn't referring to you.

My mistake.

I am new to playing on this website.  Previously I lurked the Curses forum.  I'm an avid player of Liberal Crime Squad.

@FNiff: This is basically a glorified Hydra game, without multiple people logging into the same account.  This link contains more info: http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Hydra.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2014, 11:30:55 pm »

Hi TN

You say you are new to playing on this website, which implies that you have played elsewhere.  What differences have you noticed, and how will this affect your play?

tn5421

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGUS + WIFOM = Fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2014, 09:37:09 am »

The voting format is different than what I'm used to, and people seem to care more about roleplay here.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2014, 11:28:07 am »

The voting format is different than what I'm used to, and people seem to care more about roleplay here.
Interesting, interesting.

Where is Everybody?

Also, Everyone (including my teammates): What is the one thing you look for on day one as a surefire scumtell?  Why do you look for this over others?  Do you believe that scumhunting on day one makes a difference, or is it meaningless noise?  Do you believe it is better to push the veterans or the new players to try and crack them with scumhunting?  Why?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2014, 12:38:03 pm »

Ok, this game hard as balls to follow on my phone.

On scumhunting day1: I find it to sometimes be the most important day to hunt, and I've seen plenty of d1 scum lynches.
I can't of a surefire scumtell, but generally attempts at deflecting questions is one of the biggest ones.

Ok, got to get off my break now, more later.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2014, 02:58:55 pm »

GROUP 1

DarkStar
Group 4: How do you think scum will try to lead mislynches?
Why, are you trying to pick up tips? There's only one day in this game (see the name of the title) and so there's only one mislynch. Given that town almost always mislynch D1, scum will probably rely on town to lead the mislynch for them. This means the town have to especially vigilante about teams with terrible cases near the end of the day. Your question seemed to bely an ignorance of the rules: do you know what's going on here?

Whitius
group 4: Do you think that NQT will lead your team's scumhunting?
We're a three-pronged attack team, no one of use needs to lead. I got off to a slow start with my busy weekend plans, but now I'm here I hope to contribute a lot to our team effort. Who do you think is the weakest player in your team?

Group 2 ~ which team do you foresee being hardest to read?
I think my own, actually. Since we consist of a few relatively new players, it's gonna fluctuate most likely on reads towards us.
Are you needing to do coaching in the quicktopic to compensate for this?

Fniff
Mafia is complicated...
It's certainly serious business and we'll defenestrate anyone who says otherwise.

Group 1 ~ do you have any special insight as to how we can possibly win this?
... Blind hope?
Uh huh. I'd hoped for a more positive response.

Man, I am in way over my head here.
Ask a group a question that would help you become less over your head.

GROUP 2

MOWE
Group 2 ~ which team do you foresee being hardest to read?
I'd say, for me, group three because I've had the least experience with the people in it.
And yet group 3 contains Nerjin who you of course have the most experience with. Did you really think that response through?

Group 4: Do you think that voting as a group is better than voting individually in a normal game? Why or why not?
A group vote is more powerful as you can draw on the combined wisdom of your team-mates to make a good choice. Do you disagree?

4Maskwolf
Team Four: Heyo guys.  I guess I'll ask the same question, since you have a new player.  How will that affect your play?
It's not going to affect my play: TN is only new to the forum, he's an experienced mafia player. As such I can trust him to contribute to the scum hunt at a high level.

Do you think teams should publicly announce who their leader is?

Where is Everybody?
Well, first I was in a city on the coast and then I was in the pub and then I was asleep a bit later and then I was on a train and then I was playing boardgames, but now I'm here.

Also, Everyone (including my teammates): [1] What is the one thing you look for on day one as a surefire scumtell?  [2] Why do you look for this over others? [3] Do you believe that scumhunting on day one makes a difference, or is it meaningless noise?  [4] Do you believe it is better to push the veterans or the new players to try and crack them with scumhunting? [5] Why?
1. Weak cases and reluctant play. 2. These are usually pretty good scum signs. Not infallible as you well know. 3. Yeah it's all you can do. In this game mode it's about all we've got. 4. The benefit of this game mode is that each team is likely to have a weak link (typically a newer player) who, if they're scum, may be more vulnerable to pressure. 5. So we should pressure everyone but expect to get more from pressuring newer players.

Cheese
Yeah, definitely more a PC game. Hope to hear more from you very soon.

GROUP 3

Tawa
Where are you?!

Blitz
I don't believe so, no.
So, your first contribution to the game was to shortly answer a question. That's not very engaging and I would usually consider that highly suspect, but you are a new player so a bit of slack is probably required for cutting. Who do you think is the scummiest team so far?

Nerjin
Group 3 ~ do you think random votes will be helpful at the beginning of this game?
No more useful than it would be in any other game. As in not at all, a waste of time, and counter productive. What did you really plan to accomplish by randomly voting? At best it is a minor annoyance for any competent player, ESPECIALLY when you announce it as such. You may as well have simply put the text in pink for all the good it will do...
Interesting, but I'm not necessarily dealing with competent players and if voting them rustles their jimmies, to use the youth parlance, then it's a good strategy. Do you only believe in using your vote when you know who scum might be?

TEAM 4: Which of the teams would you most like to know is CONFIRMED TOWN? Which team would it matter least to be confirmed town?
I'd most like to have team 2 confirmed as town as it has the highest concentration of players I know and can trust to scum hunt vigorously. It doesn't help my scumhunting if team 4 is confirmed.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2014, 03:14:32 pm »

Scummiest team, huh! Like I said, I'm new to this, so I'm not entirely sure which one it is. That said, our group does look suspect, if only because Tawa hasn't posted at all, here. I am not entirely familiar with scumhunting techniques, though.

Group 1 : Which team seems most suspicious to you?
Group 2 : Which group do you think is hardest to predict, and which do you think will contribute the most to the scumhunt?
Group 4 : Which team do you think is most likely to be town?

I'll vote when I have some semi-solid proof against a team.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2014, 07:13:48 pm »

Blitz
Scummiest team, huh! Like I said, I'm new to this, so I'm not entirely sure which one it is.
Certainty is a rare commodity in mafia. But if you had to nail your flag to the mask and vote,with a reason, right now, which team would it be?

Group 4 : Which team do you think is most likely to be town?
None of the other teams have shown the level of engagement that marks out a solid town player yet.

I'll vote when I have some semi-solid proof against a team.
What would that proof look like?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7