Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Author Topic: Not-So-Beginner Mafia 4: Game over! Scum victory!  (Read 35831 times)

The Soldier

• Bay Watcher
  • Mono-Lances
    • View Profile
Re: Not-So-Beginner Mafia 4: Day 1 - The Intelligence Report
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2014, 05:13:18 pm »

pisskop:
-snip-

On day one, most of the games typically start with a mixture of RQS/RVS, and either one person ends up halfway to hammer or the town tended to turn upon each other.  In the shorter games I personally found it easier to catch the mafia, because the line between anti-town interest and good intention was easier to spot.
In all cases  it seemed there was some joke and poke amoung the more active players.  In the beginning its a theory, but by the end of the day I typically have a much better idea of who I think is scum.

What do you think of the setup?  Do you think its balanced, and if not why?

Thanks for the insight. My vote was a simple reaction test, and you passed. Unvote.

As for the setup, iirc the main reason people switched the BM format was because the old format (possibility of cop and/or doctor for town, and godfather and/or roleblocker for scum) was very lopsided in favor of scum. I'd imagine that this setup is more evenly matched.

Andrew:

If you were Jailkeeper, would you be more inclined to use your power as a block on likely scum or as a protect on a likely target?

I would be more inclined try to protect a target unless I had a good reason.

Could you give me a hypothetical situation or two where you would use it with intent to block someone?

Maskwolf:

Noted. When you get the chance, riddle me this: is there ever any situation where you would trust the words of confirmed scum?

TheDarkStar:

If you had a one-shot daycop that you had to use before your first post in the thread, who would you use it on?
PPE: Pretend you haven't posted yet for the above question. As for yours, my answer is similar to Andrew - I'd protect the towniest looking person unless there's a very likely scum candidate running around.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2014, 05:24:32 pm »

TheDarkStar:

If you had a one-shot daycop that you had to use before your first post in the thread, who would you use it on?
PPE: Pretend you haven't posted yet for the above question. As for yours, my answer is similar to Andrew - I'd protect the towniest looking person unless there's a very likely scum candidate running around.

I'd probably use it on 4maskwolf. He's good at working out who the scum are, but he's also good at convincing people to believe nonsense. I want to know if I can trust what he says.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

The Soldier

• Bay Watcher
  • Mono-Lances
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2014, 06:35:12 pm »

I'd probably use it on 4maskwolf. He's good at working out who the scum are, but he's also good at convincing people to believe nonsense. I want to know if I can trust what he says.

Alright. Would your target be the same if it was a daykill instead of a daycop? Would you use the daykill at all?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2014, 07:41:55 pm »

Tack How successful are you when playing town compared to scum?
I still have yet to play as scum, so I couldn't tell you.
However as Town I actually have a very high win record.

OWM: You think you'll have time to play this game?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2014, 09:04:28 pm »

Alright. Would your target be the same if it was a daykill instead of a daycop? Would you use the daykill at all?

I'd probably not kill, since I'm more likely to hit the town.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2014, 12:57:00 am »

Andrew: What would you say is the most important scumtell to look for?

Inactivity or a reluctance to post a lot.

The Soldier
Could you give me a hypothetical situation or two where you would use it with intent to block someone?

I'm not really that familiar with the role, but if the town somehow found out the identity of a scum member i'd use it to block them instead of guessing who they were going to target.

Tiruin

If you were the cop and were going to get lynched on day one would you try to roleclaim? Would your answer differ if it was the second day and the person you investigated got murdered that night?

May the mass times acceleration be with you

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2014, 08:12:28 am »

pisskop:
-snip-

On day one, most of the games typically start with a mixture of RQS/RVS, and either one person ends up halfway to hammer or the town tended to turn upon each other.  In the shorter games I personally found it easier to catch the mafia, because the line between anti-town interest and good intention was easier to spot.
In all cases  it seemed there was some joke and poke amoung the more active players.  In the beginning its a theory, but by the end of the day I typically have a much better idea of who I think is scum.

What do you think of the setup?  Do you think its balanced, and if not why?

Thanks for the insight. My vote was a simple reaction test, and you passed. Unvote.

As for the setup, iirc the main reason people switched the BM format was because the old format (possibility of cop and/or doctor for town, and godfather and/or roleblocker for scum) was very lopsided in favor of scum. I'd imagine that this setup is more evenly matched.

Andrew:

If you were Jailkeeper, would you be more inclined to use your power as a block on likely scum or as a protect on a likely target?

I would be more inclined try to protect a target unless I had a good reason.

Maskwolf:

Noted. When you get the chance, riddle me this: is there ever any situation where you would trust the words of confirmed scum?

TheDarkStar:

Riddle accepted. I would never trust the word of a confirmed scum in a game setup like this. Bastard mods and unusual setups are another story.

Riddle me this: what do you think is the purpose of RVS? Do you think it helps find scum during the day or only later,

The Soldier

• Bay Watcher
  • Mono-Lances
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2014, 09:58:49 am »

TheDarkStar:

A solid answer. Unvote.

Andrew:

Makes sense.

Maskwolf:
Riddle me this: what do you think is the purpose of RVS? Do you think it helps find scum during the day or only later,

To me, RVS has two main purposes - to get real discussion started, and to get an initial read on peoples' personalities. For example, from the answers I've gotten, I know that Andrew and TheDarkStar are less likely to take big risks, and more likely to play it safe. If I see them advocating some crazy plan, I'll be sure to question them about the change in attitude.

Now it comes to you. Here's a hypothetical: it's LYLO and there's one guy that you are 99% convinced are scum. The problem is, no one else agrees; they all read him as town. Would you push for his lynch, or go with the majority scumread that you have a weaker read on?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I might still be checking on my phone, but no real posts for at least 11 hours. This will be the case every Tuesday and Thursday.

The Soldier

• Bay Watcher
  • Mono-Lances
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2014, 10:01:26 am »

Forgot to answer the second part. I believe that it will only find scum occasionally* day one. However, the statements put forth this early should still hold true later, and if the scum get tripped up in their web of lies, RVS is a good source of contradictions.

*That is, completely by itself. Day 1 lynches can find scum same as other days if the scum crack that early.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2014, 01:51:38 pm »

The immediate reaction to the discovery of spies was a series of wild accusations backed with little to no evidence, along with probing questions.  That is, mass panic.
"Pisskop, who are you really?"
"I'm just a political staffer.  Nothing more.  Now, Turuin.  Just Turuin."
"Tack, are you better at being a loyalist than being a spy?"
"What did you do with Persuses 1 through 12, Persus13?  Where did you hide the bodies!?!"

Questions were thrown around seemingly randomly by most of the crew.

Votecount:
*MyOwnWorstEnemy - (0)
*Tiruin - pisskop (1)
*4maskwolf - The Soldier (1)
*TheDarkStar - (0)
*Persus13 - (0)
*Andrew425 - TheDarkStar (1)
*The Soldier - (0)
*Tack - Andrew425 (1)
*pisskop - (0)
Not Voting: MyOwnWorstEnemy, Tiruin, 4maskwolf, Persus13, Tack

Day ends 12:00 PM PST Monday, April 21st.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 02:09:17 pm by Jack A T »
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2014, 02:03:03 pm »

Whoo.

Okay so unless anyone has objections Ill slip Soldier into a right pile.  The inquiries are helpful.  Though all the pointed questions are pointy.

We need the power of
\o/ Wagons!
to see us through.

My guess is one mafia is voting, one isn't.

unvote
Andrew425

Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2014, 05:15:46 pm »

TheDarkStar:

A solid answer. Unvote.

Andrew:

Makes sense.

Maskwolf:

To me, RVS has two main purposes - to get real discussion started, and to get an initial read on peoples' personalities. For example, from the answers I've gotten, I know that Andrew and TheDarkStar are less likely to take big risks, and more likely to play it safe. If I see them advocating some crazy plan, I'll be sure to question them about the change in attitude.

Now it comes to you. Here's a hypothetical: it's LYLO and there's one guy that you are 99% convinced are scum. The problem is, no one else agrees; they all read him as town. Would you push for his lynch, or go with the majority scumread that you have a weaker read on?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I might still be checking on my phone, but no real posts for at least 11 hours. This will be the case every Tuesday and Thursday.
I would push the lynch. I tend to be able to convince people when I set my mind to it. I would find every piece of information I could about their scumminess and use it. I will never jump on a weak vote, unless I am scum. Now, that being said, some cases seem strong to me that seem weak to others, so take that with a grain of salt.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2014, 05:46:51 pm »

I'M ALIVE JUST DIDN'T CONNECT N THE LAST DAYS
PFP

PISSKOP
oh boi.
So browsing about it looks like ya'll are a bit more concise and less wordy than other places.

Turuin
NO U

Why the lacking substance in this post? Is your 'random vote' supposed to achieve anything?
What were you thinking when you made this post?

The Soldier
I misspelled Tiruin :|
And I asked no questions.

wrt my experience:
a few different forums, mostly political ones.  The day length ranged quite a bit, but typically real-time to one week to a  day.
Why did you ask no questions?

Soldier
Hello!
Tiruin: You're the only one here that I've been in a game with previously. Would you say that your playstyle has changed in the year since I've been around? If you were a vanilla townie, would you rather we have a Cop or a Jailkeeper if we couldn't have both? Are you still always scum?
Changed....changed.
Hmm. Well I can say it never changed from my perspective, but wonder how you view my playstyle from yours since then.
How did you view me?
Because I say it never changed (ie Amorphous as always ~o~ )
I'd rather have a Cop because woo, Cop! Inspect the people instead of randomly doctoring/blocking people! Though the latter requires seemingly more skill than the former, it also is situational--requiring a good amount of foresight in targets, and how to hide and discern the analysis of the results.
Also yes, yes I'm still always scum. :I

Andrew
Hiya! ^ ^
If you were the cop and were going to get lynched on day one would you try to roleclaim? Would your answer differ if it was the second day and the person you investigated got murdered that night?
Eh? No. I'd not roleclaim even if my life depended on it.
I'd garrote those who are trying to lynch me and/or look at the context and stare at wonder on the votes--who is voting, why they're voting, how they're voting and question like a philosopher why they do that.
In other words: No, I won't roleclaim if that event happens--though I'd leave it as a hypothetical for them and see their responses.
No. If its the second day (sans me being lynched, I guess?), I'll just keep doin' what I keep doin'. Investigate, divide, conquer. analyze and question. Keep on seeking, keep on searching.

Why do you ask a pointed question?

Whoo.

Okay so unless anyone has objections Ill slip Soldier into a right pile.  The inquiries are helpful.  Though all the pointed questions are pointy.

We need the power of
\o/ Wagons!
to see us through.

My guess is one mafia is voting, one isn't.

unvote
Andrew425

My guess is you're doing nothing to find out who is doing what :I
My other guess is to question why you're saying such.
Why are you saying such? What is your basis?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2014, 06:15:29 pm »

@
NO U

Why the lacking substance in this post? Is your 'random vote' supposed to achieve anything?
Why is my very first post in the actual game which is also the very first post in RVS which is also the very first mafia post on this site lacking content?

I was thinking that I would get wagoned and then we could propel us past the pain of RQS,  Done right it is fairly natural if not OMGish, but done wrong and all of day one is standoffish.  I don't really like RVS, even lessso when I have nothing to calibrate my reads to.

You guys have quite specific questions.  I guess I should have figured Bay12 to be both concise and formal in a mafia game >.<

Why did you ask no questions?
I've asked one serious question thus far, to gauge a response.  I don't usually ask an over-abundance of questions.

Well, barring lurkers/inactive players, and those who haven't posted 2 wolves wouldn't start the game off following one another.  Its not as if everyone voted, or as if I was the only voter.  Its no more infallible than any other theory at this point in time.  An look, it got you talking.

The two wolves wouldn't shoot out the gate with a bus or with associations, imo.  So I imagine the odds are good that up until this point, the two haven't referenced each other.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2014, 06:18:49 pm »

@
NO U

Why is my very first post in the actual game which is also the very first post in RVS which is also the very first mafia post on this site lacking content?

I was thinking that I would get wagoned and then we could propel us past the pain of RQS,  Done right it is fairly natural if not OMGish, but done wrong and all of day one is standoffish.  I don't really like RVS, even lessso when I have nothing to calibrate my reads to.

You guys have quite specific questions.  I guess I should have figured Bay12 to be both concise and formal in a mafia game >.<
What can you learn from what your first post was meant to do?
Why do you use such specific terminology such as 'bandwagon' and make it a verb, applying it to yourself?
*Why do you ask me a rhetorical question when in being such a state: It is the post's essence (the post order does not matter) or the details within it that matters.

Well, barring lurkers/inactive players, and those who haven't posted 2 wolves wouldn't start the game off following one another.  Its not as if everyone voted, or as if I was the only voter.  Its no more infallible than any other theory at this point in time.  An look, it got you talking.

The two wolves wouldn't shoot out the gate with a bus or with associations, imo.  So I imagine the odds are good that up until this point, the two haven't referenced each other.
I'm not getting you. Please expound?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18