Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 53

Author Topic: Civilization Beyond Earth - A spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri by Firaxis  (Read 152132 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Civilization Beyond Earth - A spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri by Firaxis
« Reply #405 on: September 14, 2014, 04:53:45 am »

Space saudis wop out the wads on shiny new weapons

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization Beyond Earth - A spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri by Firaxis
« Reply #406 on: September 14, 2014, 08:01:44 am »

It annoys me that there's no faction with ties to the United Kingdom.

It annoys me that there's no faction having to do with Germany.

I'm really hoping for a DLC "North European Federation" or something, consisting of Germany and Scandinavia. UK can come too I guess, if they play nice.

Until such a thing exists, I'm gonna refrain from buying.

It's about time Europe banded together and invaded America...or just created a few more great development countries that don't feel the need to lick Yank arse.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 14, 2014, 08:10:40 am »

It's about time Europe banded together and invaded America...or just created a few more great development countries that don't feel the need to lick Yank arse.

Comments like this always give me a good belly laugh.  Someone sounds butthurt that those they considered rejects and booted from their country proved their superiority.  Like it or not, we're you bud.  Always have been, just the you you hate.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 14, 2014, 08:13:55 am »

Comments like this always give me a good belly laugh.  Someone sounds butthurt that those they considered rejects and booted from their country proved their superiority.  Like it or not, we're you bud.  Always have been, just the you you hate.

Do they? Or does someone sound like he's having a light-hearted dig at the lack of British representation in games?

I think you've just made yourself look like a total, total twat. Well done, dude! :D

And just a quick history lesson - those who settled in America weren't 'booted from their country' or considered rejects, many were looking to move for a new chance in the New World. The split away from Britain was also not to do with disliking the country, but to do with disliking the heavy colonial taxes being imposed by King George III.

I am a proud Brit, but also a staunch anti-Monarchist. If I was back in those days, I would have also fought for independence against a regime that practices inequality as a fundamental component of its existence.

There you go - you've been belittled AND learnt something. Awesome day for you, eh? :D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 08:16:21 am by Kaje »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #409 on: September 14, 2014, 09:50:38 am »

I am a proud Brit, but also a staunch anti-Monarchist. If I was back in those days, I would have also fought for independence against a regime that practices inequality as a fundamental component of its existence.
Why not just go on a ship to Durban, Delhi, Singapore or Sydney and sip some tea whilst admiring the scenery? Or do a Darwin and run around catching animals whilst wearing the mandatory pith helmet?

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 14, 2014, 09:56:26 am »

America #1. I've been everywhere and say this with confidence.  Jelly brits wish they were US so bad.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 14, 2014, 10:27:19 am »

I'm not 100% pleased with the starting factions either, but I wouldn't shrug off the entire game because my favourite country isn't included in some evident form, has been surpassed by a rival (i.e. France won :D) or worse, was potentially absorbed by such a rival (i.e. Brasilia dominating South America). We'll be seeing more factions in future expansions, and there is always modding: I can, have and will be making new civs if I'm not entirely pleased with the available selection.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 14, 2014, 10:46:31 am »

What surprises me with the faction choices is why they went with Franco-Iberia rather than just go for the whole of Europe. I mean, most other factions are either a whole continent or a huge population mass. Franco-Iberia is neither. Not that I mind overly much, it's just a bit odd.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #413 on: September 14, 2014, 10:56:34 am »

What surprises me with the faction choices is why they went with Franco-Iberia rather than just go for the whole of Europe. I mean, most other factions are either a whole continent or a huge population mass. Franco-Iberia is neither. Not that I mind overly much, it's just a bit odd.
~o.o~
Maybe France conquered Spain and Portugal to fulfill the legacy of Napoleon?

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 14, 2014, 11:02:58 am »

I do like the nod towards a unified French-Spain, even if it's not the same level of apparent power as the rest of the factions. Ultimately it hardly matters, so long as we have slavs.

I do agree with Pwnzerfaust in that it's a bit suspect to be an early buyer of anything in today's gaming industry. It seems that most games offer more content and less bugs for a cheaper cost if you're willing to wait a bit.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 14, 2014, 12:06:08 pm »

Seems like an unfortunate choice of name, though. For a long time I actually assumed Franco-Iberia was a militant, fascist faction...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #416 on: September 14, 2014, 12:08:52 pm »

Seems like an unfortunate choice of name, though. For a long time I actually assumed Franco-Iberia was a militant, fascist faction...
I am thoroughly disappointed Franco-Iberia are space artists and not space Napoleons.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 14, 2014, 01:27:07 pm »

I do agree with Pwnzerfaust in that it's a bit suspect to be an early buyer of anything in today's gaming industry. It seems that most games offer more content and less bugs for a cheaper cost if you're willing to wait a bit.

Exactly. I mean, I want to believe that Firaxis has learned its lessons with Civ V, but until they can prove they have, I'm not gonna take it on faith.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 14, 2014, 01:54:12 pm »

Would that be the lesson that if you give people an incomplete game and then dangle expansions that complete it in front of them, they'll jump to buy them to make their original purchase not feel like it was a waste of money? Civ III had the expansion which added multiplayer. Civ IV: PtW especially expanded the game. I particularly remember the release of III and IV being very buggy, as well.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 14, 2014, 02:24:59 pm »

It's possible they did that intentionally to avoid just having each faction basically just be a continent or traditional power bloc. Why they'd do it only there I couldn't say.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 53