Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 53

Author Topic: Civilization Beyond Earth - A spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri by Firaxis  (Read 152094 times)

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am saying that Fireaxis might be in that mindset.

Though I am more disappointed the complex groupings of Alpha Centauri isn't there and that it feels almost WAAAAAY too much like Civ 5.

Even to the extent that I can pick out which features are just reskins. "Ohh look there is the barbarian camp... and there is the horse resource... OHHH and fish!".. I kind of thought this alien planet would be a bit more... alien so to speak.

But then again I am sure things change later such as when you can start building underwater cities that I am sure are in the game... >_> right?

Note: I honestly don't know if that has been cut or now... I am mostly just thinking of the features Alpha Centauri had that separated it from just being Civilization 2 (or 3 I forget) except with a sci-fi remodel...

So right now I am trying to see what this game does that is entirely separate from Civilization 5 and not just a remodel.

The more involved game setup, the non-linear nature of the tech web, the affinity progression system and the orbital layer to some extent represent substantial structural changes compared to Civ5. The native aliens are also expected to be quite more developed, beyond the not-barbarian role one might presume at first glance. Sure, there's some minor stuff that's practically analogous to Civ5 features, like perhaps some resource tiles and the usual quintet that is food/production/science/gold/culture. SMAC was like that as well. But having followed all the released material to date, I can see enough fundamental differences in CivBE compared to the core series to arguably challenge Sid's maxim: 1/3 same, 1/3 improved, 1/3 new.

Underwater cities are not in the base version, but it's been said they're being considered for an expansion.

As for the dullest unique ability award, I think it goes to Brasilia's +10% melee unit strength. Boring, but subject to change before release.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 03:19:53 pm by Greenbane »

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

doublepost

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wont lie Brasillia is incredibly boring... But they aren't likely to change it the "boring militaristic race" is unavoidable.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

What if Brasillian's bonus was the ability to "force march" units, giving them +1 mobility range at a cost of some hitpoints?
._.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Going back to that last livestream, I'm not sure how much I like the idea of those colonies or whatever. I really, really hate when the AI grabs a prime city settling space (or worse, messes it up by taking up only half of it...), and this was only made worse with city states - especially since they're often within a couple tiles of a natural wonder. Sure, you could take the city, but in the case of the states you couldn't raze it to plop your own down in a better position, so you're left with two cities in subprime locations.

Can the colonies just be wiped out without consequence if you want to settle near them?

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What if Brasillian's bonus was the ability to "force march" units, giving them +1 mobility range at a cost of some hitpoints?

Sure. I mean, there's more inventive ways to give a militaristic faction a unique bonus than a straight up +X% strength bonus. Faster promotions, cheaper military unit production, units built with extra XP (like the barracks effect), higher mobility (ignore terrain cost?), Civ5-Japan "fight at full strength regardless of HP" ability (but I'd understand if they don't want to copy-paste unique abilities).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Heck Alpha Centari had many ways to make multiple super offensive civs feel completely different from one another.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Going back to that last livestream, I'm not sure how much I like the idea of those colonies or whatever. I really, really hate when the AI grabs a prime city settling space (or worse, messes it up by taking up only half of it...), and this was only made worse with city states - especially since they're often within a couple tiles of a natural wonder. Sure, you could take the city, but in the case of the states you couldn't raze it to plop your own down in a better position, so you're left with two cities in subprime locations.

Can the colonies just be wiped out without consequence if you want to settle near them?

I really wish that you could just raze everything. It's not fair that you can't, for instance, have a one city challenge where you burn the rest of the world to the ground. I feel this kind of makes even more sense in beyond earth.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Heck Alpha Centari had many ways to make multiple super offensive civs feel completely different from one another.
To be fair though, AC also had different avenues of warfare which they could tailor factions towards using.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

To be fair though, AC also had different avenues of warfare which they could tailor factions towards using.
What is the main avenue of Civ5 warfare, btw?
._.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization Beyond Earth - A spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri by Firaxis
« Reply #385 on: September 01, 2014, 04:18:53 pm »

It annoys me that there's no faction with ties to the United Kingdom.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization Beyond Earth - A spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri by Firaxis
« Reply #386 on: September 01, 2014, 04:30:55 pm »

That always annoys you.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #387 on: September 01, 2014, 04:38:09 pm »

Can't have two Anglophones in maximum diversity cast

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 01, 2014, 04:56:23 pm »

Probably because of our increasing insignificance.  I view this as a good thing.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #389 on: September 01, 2014, 05:07:17 pm »

Probably because of our increasing insignificance.  I view this as a good thing.
BEHEAD THE TRAITOR

In all seriousness, it always boils down to the diversity. You want maximum variety in the factions at the very least on a cosmetic level so players can align with their red or their blue and have those differences actually be very tangible. Such a game as this where the USA is in it would be muddling the lines a bit because Mericans and Bonglanders are too alike for those who aren't of either, FrancoSpaniards on the other hand increase diversity quota.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 53