Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 53

Author Topic: Civilization Beyond Earth - A spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri by Firaxis  (Read 152100 times)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile

Something tells me that the biggest complains about Beyond Earth after its release will be "It's not as scientifically accurate/philosophical/etc. as Alpha Centauri" from SMAC fans.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Something tells me that the biggest complains about Beyond Earth after its release will be "It's not Alpha Centauri" from SMAC fans.
FTFY

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile

Something tells me that the biggest complains about Beyond Earth after its release will be "It's not as scientifically accurate/philosophical/etc. as Alpha Centauri" from SMAC fans.

Why shouldn't it be?

Why would it be OK for it to be worse than a ten year old game?
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile

Why shouldn't it be?

Even if it doesn't turn out to be worse than SMAC, its fans will start probably start nitpicking and raging anyway.
It's very hard to please fans of old games.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eh, X-COM seemed to do pretty well. Sure there were people bitching about it before it was made but overall it seems to have been well received. Helps that it's a good game.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm wondering how long it would take after release for someone to reverse engineer Alpha centauri factions into Civ: BE.
I'm sure it would depend on how the game is received, if it's considered mostly a poor knockoff then maybe the reverse would happen, with people making CIV:BE factions and playing them in SMAC.
Now a total conversion mod would probably be started somewhere down the line but of course those take ages, the game would be obsolete by the time it's finished.

Given how long it's taken to do it in Civ4 and Civ5, probably never. There are some mechanics of SMAC that mostly don't exist in those games (chiefly how social engineering works and the fungus, IMO, the unit editor is also a key part too). It could probably have been done in Civ4 with some perseverance at DLL coding but it never seemed to get that far.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

SMAC wasn't scientifically accurate, it was just scientifically plausible and that's all that really needs to be asked for in sci-fi.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Given how long it's taken to do it in Civ4 and Civ5, probably never. There are some mechanics of SMAC that mostly don't exist in those games (chiefly how social engineering works and the fungus, IMO, the unit editor is also a key part too). It could probably have been done in Civ4 with some perseverance at DLL coding but it never seemed to get that far.

Civil Engineering wasn't that great.  It was just a set of numerical bonuses and a malus.  Civ 4 did it better in every way.  Some of the civics in Civ 4 completely changed the way you could play the game like the Universal Suffrage, Slavery, or Caste System civics.  In SMAC, you just build something overcome the malus and then get your bonus.

The unit editor was clunky and cumbersome.  You end up with visually similar and uninspiring units.  Better unit specialization and clear upgrade lines will do everything the unit editor did, but better. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 02:11:46 pm by Satarus »
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Civil Engineering wasn't that great.  It was just a set of numerical bonuses and a malus.  Civ 4 did it better in every way.  Some of the civics in Civ 5 completely changed the way you could play the game like the Universal Suffrage, Slavery, or Caste System civics.  In SMAC, you just build something overcome the malus and then get your bonus.

The unit editor was clunky and cumbersome.  You end up with visually similar and uninspiring units.  Better unit specialization and clear upgrade lines will do everything the unit editor did, but better.

You mean Civ 4, right?
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You mean Civ 4, right?
I always said civ 4.  Show me evidence to the contrary and I will show you angry lies. ;D
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, psionic helicopters to rule them all. (Dozens of attacks per turn, wipe out entire militaries with a couple helicopters)
May have required particular wonders to buff them up. It's been a while.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why shouldn't it be?

Even if it doesn't turn out to be worse than SMAC, its fans will start probably start nitpicking and raging anyway.
It's very hard to please fans of old games.

Dang people and their standards, tastes, and opinions!

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile

Eh, X-COM seemed to do pretty well. Sure there were people bitching about it before it was made but overall it seems to have been well received. Helps that it's a good game.

If that's the standard we're holding the AC remake to then I don't hold out much hope...

the XCOM remake was a bastardized, inbred version of the old XCOM that stripped out all the best features... Oh you liked fully destructible terrain? GONE BABY GONE... Oh you liked how the game was unique so far as your troops being expendable was concerned? GONE BABY GONE... Base invasions? GONE BABY GONE (or rather pay us $50 for the expansion pack baby or GONE). Procedurally generated maps that were unique every time? GONE BABY GONE.

Screw the fact that 10 years later we have x1000 the computer power... There's no way we could possibly have things like fully destructible terrain and procedurally generated maps... Oh wait... The original did that 10 years ago.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 05:04:28 pm by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ohh the reason we can't have good features is simple Ronin

1) According to game developers the average gamer is a LOT dumber with a short attention span (Just play any Telltale game)
and
2) We NEED to fit in the graphics.

I find it funny that graphics is the one thing that can NEVER be compromised.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile

Warning: Opinions

See, I think the problem with remakes is that people don't look at the remakes up front, and judge them like that. Instead, they compare every tiny feature and aspect from the remake with the original game, and if it doesn't completely line up, it's automatically bad.
And what's the point of making a remake of a game if it's going to be exactly the same? A remake should be similar to the game, yes. It should have the same premise and similar gameplay. What it shouldn't be, is be an exact clone of the original game. If you want to play the original game, go play it. There's nothing stopping you.

Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 53