Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28

Author Topic: [insert gender-related title here!]: Beware the Evil Philosiphers version  (Read 28111 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: [insert gender-related title here!]
« Reply #165 on: May 30, 2014, 05:55:30 am »

Another reason for victim blaming in cases of rape can also be that they just don't want to consider the other possibility. Rape is in many aspects both not taken serious enough, and thought of as really fucking serious. I've seen people go into full defense denial mode at the mere hint that they or someone close to them might have raped someone. So they just close up and start to heavily rationalise why it couldn't possibly have been rape. Many of these rationalisations come off as ridiculous, unjust, if downright offensive to people on the outside, but to the denialist they're desperate attempts to salvage their image of their friend/kin as a good person. This is also related to how it's harder to blame someone in your close circle than to get angry at someone outside it, so to avoid cognitive dissonance about it you just project the anger and blame onto the other part instead. At least this is the feeling I get from how people around me can be very upset at rape when it comes up on a "societalevel" (for a lack of a better word) yet completely blind to stuff when it happens in their daily lives. I guess the prevalence of the whole notion that "rape is something done by scary me with strange moustaches in dark alleys and parks, and not nice, well adjusted young men" plays part here as well, or at least with the ease if shifting blame.

Sometimes it's just the old fartwater undercurrent that all mingling of female and sex/-uality is wrong and therefore she should cover herself up, and everything that happened to her is her own fault because she aroused the male and so on and so forth. I don't particularly hear off this line if thinking in my personal life very often (but maybe I'm just blindered), but it often seems at play in stories from other countries.

Edit: Wow, ten post-ninjas.
Love, scriver~

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 30, 2014, 06:44:39 am »

a rather extremely low, low rate of assault

Of reported Assaults.

Did you adjust for the number of unreported crimes?
That was already adjusted. :v
How can you even adjust for that? My criminology textbook compared the number of reported to unreported crimes to tip of the iceberg. 1 out of 10 crimes are reported. I have also seen other figures like 50% of crimes are not reported.
...I adjusted by asking the local police officers and looked it up? >_> Check what figures represent what--mine was a general note: There are more pickpocket crimes in [my area] compared to assault or murder, yet the latter two compared to the generality (or as far as I know, as a note per year) is extremely low, though there are cases for murder, assault and other crimes. In our area. I think the local specific I noted was ignored? :/

What is more of a problem here, though, is harboring family members who have done such crimes--usually they are reported anyway because [crime], but some are harbored until the case is brought up by the offended person and/or their family.

Complexities in hand, I still stand on the cases involving crime, and other negatives against people having their roots in the values inculcated or practiced by the people.

Looking back at the previous pages, I see arguments, statistics and numbers pointing to general attitudes or characteristics but little discussed on those said attitudes or characteristics which would presumably be the cause of such behavior, like why is there misogyny in the first place? Centuries old beliefs still pervading in today's society? Stuff like that :-\
Though what I've got and what I believe I'm not getting 100% are the rationale of the arguments before--were they to prove that there is an actual gap between genders? Yes, in some places, but in others there is little that it isn't apparent at all (though the culture//values note still exists >.> expectations per gender are still being practiced)

PPE: Oww :x

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 31, 2014, 11:33:49 am »

aroused the male and so on and so forth

Ahh yes the "Men are insatiable beasts and have no responsibility over their sexuality because they clearly cannot control it" stereotype we meet again.

It is times like these what I am honestly surprised people just flat out don't, even people who should know better, see the direct correlation to how men are treated and how they act.

Suffice it to say... while I am rather prudish, and believe that sexuality is rather stifled in western society in certain respects, even I think men think with their brains (not their dicks) and are thus more then responsible for their own actions when it comes to sex... Also yeah stop saying men think with their dicks, it really just perpetuates this line of thinking.

Men are not bestial, they are adults who should be responsible for their actions. Their selfishness is not the endearing yammer of a stray puppy... and the vast majority of men are not anywhere close to how they have been depicted.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 31, 2014, 07:20:57 pm »

aroused the male and so on and so forth

Ahh yes the "Men are insatiable beasts and have no responsibility over their sexuality because they clearly cannot control it" stereotype we meet again.

It is times like these what I am honestly surprised people just flat out don't, even people who should know better, see the direct correlation to how men are treated and how they act.

Suffice it to say... while I am rather prudish, and believe that sexuality is rather stifled in western society in certain respects, even I think men think with their brains (not their dicks) and are thus more then responsible for their own actions when it comes to sex... Also yeah stop saying men think with their dicks, it really just perpetuates this line of thinking.

Men are not bestial, they are adults who should be responsible for their actions. Their selfishness is not the endearing yammer of a stray puppy... and the vast majority of men are not anywhere close to how they have been depicted.

Thank you, very, very much.

I cannot tell you how much this statement means to me, to see someone who stops for a moment and states that men (such as myself) are not complete sex-driven animals.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #169 on: May 31, 2014, 09:37:28 pm »

I've seen guys break into a fistfight over a parking spot, and all sorts of other minor conflicts.

And yeah, going to the police will make everyone lose any respect for you they might have had.

Where on earth do you live!? I live in small(ish) town america, and I never see violence. It's more or less assumed that any kind of violence will end with police everywhere and jail time for both parties. Unless one of them shoots the other, of course, buts that's another issue.

The exception, of course, is violence involving women. That's more or less assumed to be the womans fault one way or another, especially if the people know each other.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah, I find that kind of thing deeply offensive. The male sex drive is no stronger than the female one, if anything it's weaker. It's our culture that drives that behaviour.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 09:41:28 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 31, 2014, 09:44:46 pm »

The stereotype used to be exactly opposite, actually. It was assumed that women were the ones with an insatiable sex drive, and that the ones whose needed to be satisfied in a marriage were women.

o_O
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 31, 2014, 09:50:16 pm »

...Is it just me, or is it mildly funny how Vector posted after Angle?

Considering the usernames?

Anyway, carry on.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #172 on: May 31, 2014, 11:15:30 pm »

it happens often enough, so eh.

And yes, that was indeed one of the older ideas. The Greeks believed in that, right?

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 31, 2014, 11:46:25 pm »

it happens often enough, so eh.

And yes, that was indeed one of the older ideas. The Greeks believed in that, right?

Actually, that's where the whole "hysteria" thing comes in from Freud's era. It's a point of view that's about a century old o_o
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #174 on: May 31, 2014, 11:58:04 pm »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 01, 2014, 01:26:47 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah, I find that kind of thing deeply offensive. The male sex drive is no stronger than the female one, if anything it's weaker. It's our culture that drives that behaviour.
The stereotype used to be exactly opposite, actually. It was assumed that women were the ones with an insatiable sex drive, and that the ones whose needed to be satisfied in a marriage were women.

o_O
Goes back farther than that: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AllWomenAreLustful
What I'm happy for today is that the realization of such [stoopidity] is now being spread far enough to counter that artificial culture :-\
Though its pervasiveness is...strong due to how long it has been practiced as a 'fact' or belief. >_>

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 01, 2014, 02:21:50 am »

Men have stronger sex drives than women.

Testosterone. Many of you probably are pro-drug and pro-pot, because that's hip these days, so why not do a cycle of test-cypionate sometime to see how many men actually do feel? It's just a drug, and can be taken as responsibly or irresponsibly as any other. It'll add mass, cause sexual thoughts, give a sense that you can do anything. I see a lot of male-gendered individuals here who seem a bit disconnected from what a lot of other men experience. "Men and women are equally strong except for culture" "Men and women have the same sex drive except for culture" etc.

Try some test-cyp. Might expand your horizons a bit. Just a suggestion.
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 01, 2014, 02:25:38 am »

Men have stronger sex drives than women.

Testosterone. Many of you probably are pro-drug and pro-pot, because that's hip these days, so why not do[...] a cycle of test-cypionate sometime to see how many men actually do feel? It's just a drug, and can be taken as responsibly or irresponsibly as any other. It'll add mass, cause sexual thoughts, give a sense that you can do anything. I see a lot of male-gendered individuals here who seem a bit disconnected from what a lot of other men experience. "Men and women are equally strong except for culture" "Men and women have the same sex drive except for culture" etc.

Try some test-cyp. Might expand your horizons a bit. Just a suggestion.
...I'd go against that even if it seems true.
Especially on the sexual thoughts; sex drive thing.
Though maybe what I state above is based on the 'what they choose to do with it' rather than 'this exists'.

Edit: Now just fully read it.
Wtf?! [not meaning exactly the word of wtf but the expression. I'm surprised. Very.]
Could I ask for more details on all that there? >.> Context. Background. Foundation. Of all those ideas?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 03:06:57 am by Tiruin »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 01, 2014, 04:18:42 am »

You know, I'm having this hunch, a weird inexplicable hunch, that ingesting a high enough to be noticeable dose of androgens to have a noticeable effect is not a good idea for 90% of the forum population.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 01, 2014, 04:21:20 am »

You know, I'm having this hunch, a weird inexplicable hunch, that ingesting a high enough to be noticeable dose of androgens to have a noticeable effect is not a good idea for 90% of the forum population.
I'm just lost in understanding that post.
What I got is 'use this drug to test your sex drive.' But I don't get what test he's citing.
...The cause of suggesting it however is >_>
Many of you probably are pro-drug and pro-pot, because that's hip these days, so why not do[...]
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28