Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should humans get several civs, based on RL civs? (Asian/Western/Arabic/etc) Only one would be active by default, but players can chose to enable more or play as different ones.

Yes, please give us Vikings and Ninjas and Knights.
Yes, but only if it doesnt take too much work.
Maybe better to only make one civ, as close to vanilla DF humans as possible.
Maybe better to only make one civ, as close to MDF humans as possible.
No, I dont like it because it doesnt fit a procedually generated fantasy world.
No, I dont like it, because... (please post the reasons)

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 66

Author Topic: ☼Humans☼ - Everything Human Mode  (Read 149678 times)

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Humans☼ - Everything Human Mode
« Reply #450 on: August 01, 2014, 04:44:14 pm »

An issue with the mod, at least from my point of view, is that people might play dwarves all the time, and completely ignore the other races.

It's really ironic that you say this because i fell in love with your mod because i personally dislike dwarves. I play fort mode because dwarf fortress is such an awesome game, but i primarily play adv mode because i get to be a human or elf (mostly human). I have been eagerly anticipating this mod, and am very pleased with the results!!!!

I do have a few ideas fr high tier stuff humans could do. I know you said humans don't favor magic, and i agree with that decision, but the idea of human mages is still a fantasy staple, and i was thinking you could expand on the altar.paladin ideas by having priests/clerics, and other mid range divine casters. Leading to forts that may put more emphasis on religion.... or against it (preferring guns and isolation to "honor" and fundamentalism)... you may not have time to implement that, but i will definitely continue to play humans, and find them to be one of my favorite races, because they can access so much of the other masterwork race's content  8)
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #451 on: August 01, 2014, 07:15:13 pm »

You can hire mages, clerics and conjurers in the tavern, and the warlock worker can teach any human several spells. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: August 01, 2014, 07:24:55 pm »

nevermind then..... although the reason i said divine speels for humans is that the orcs have mojos and dreamwalkers, the kobolds have druids and witches, the succubi have the fireborn, humans don't have a unique magic class (which does fit humanity) but if they were to have one, i think religion would be the path to take (just my opinion, i'll play humans regardless)
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: August 01, 2014, 07:28:34 pm »

nevermind then..... although the reason i said divine speels for humans is that the orcs have mojos and dreamwalkers, the kobolds have druids and witches, the succubi have the fireborn, humans don't have a unique magic class (which does fit humanity) but if they were to have one, i think religion would be the path to take (just my opinion, i'll play humans regardless)

With warrior priests wielding hammers. :)

I totally see the humans as that sort of Warhammer civilizatin.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #454 on: August 01, 2014, 07:33:54 pm »

I kinda designed them to be played as "town outpost of large sprawling empire with guards and muskets and cannons", OR as "castle with peasants and knights."

Half medieval dark ages, half imperialistic swiss-guards. ;) Actually no warhammer influence at all in that mode. :D But of course people can play them as they see fit.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: August 01, 2014, 07:40:44 pm »

I kinda designed them to be played as "town outpost of large sprawling empire with guards and muskets and cannons", OR as "castle with peasants and knights."

Half medieval dark ages, half imperialistic swiss-guards. ;) Actually no warhammer influence at all in that mode. :D But of course people can play them as they see fit.

That's the way to do it. If you put them in there, then it's ALWAYS there ... if you leave it open like it is, then it can be in there or not as I see fit.

Excaerious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: August 01, 2014, 10:51:54 pm »

Ever since I saw the post up on reddit about the basically almost finished playable version I have been trying to get the hang of Human mode, but I can't. However, that's amazing. For someone who has played DF for a long time everything has become easy, MDF added much content and made it harder but the playstyles of most MDF races are fairly similar with small differences.

I feel like the Human Mode Cavern averse switch is one of the biggest changes ever. It really changes how you have to think. I've played 4-5 forts which have all imploded and the main reasoning has mostly been because I can't just dig my metropolis in a year or two. Having to create 'homes' and literal buildings makes everything infinitely more difficult, at least for me. It'a s struggle to keep a balance between industrial production and progress. I can usually get many builds up quite soon, on year 1 or 2, but I have to sacrifice the building up of resources for trade.

Speaking of which Trade is really fun. It allows you to 'roleplay' out tough scenarios and it still be viable, like trying to get by on only using wooden things to trade and commerce.

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: August 02, 2014, 05:27:00 pm »

About the time I think I have gotten bored with the humans, I try something new with them. :)

They're really much deeper than they look on the surface.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #458 on: August 02, 2014, 05:29:58 pm »

You can also watch me fail at a ocean embark, without plants, trees or drinkable water in the area. :P

I started a succession fort: Glimmerring

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: August 02, 2014, 06:13:01 pm »

Something lost in translation between the trader and his contact in the clans -- Flachette gun (and it's big brother the mechanized dakkadakka, although i don't think those are licensed for export to humans) use BLOWDART for ammo, not BULLET_L's.  Bullets being a rare commodity on the steppes.

[REACTION:BUY_ORC_1]
   [NAME:Buy flachette gun for 1500 sovereigns]
   [BUILDING:TRADER_ORC:CUSTOM_A]
   [REAGENT:A:1500:COIN:NONE:INORGANIC:GOLD]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_FLACHETTE_GUN:INORGANIC:BRASS]
   [PRODUCT:100:100:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BULLET_L:INORGANIC:BRASS]
   [SKILL:NEGOTIATION]
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 06:21:00 pm by smakemupagus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #460 on: August 02, 2014, 06:27:14 pm »

And here I thought that guns use bullets. :D

Thanks for the report, I will fix it asap.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: August 02, 2014, 08:20:12 pm »

My first human colony is established. Some observations:

You don't need heaps of boulders as the tips suggest if you start anywhere with peat, clay or fire clay. By that I mean the rock splitter makes blocks from those too, and they are, unlike wood planks, fireproof. (Peat really shouldn't be, but...) Not sure this is intended, but there it is. For purely aesthetic reasons, I don't plan to build a city out of peat, but it's great for that first mud wall, a farmhouse, and some livestock pens.

Also, humans may prefer the topside, but remember how DF defines that. You can still use the power of dig to get going, though not to the same degree as the real digging races. I dug out two levels of basement for my first house. For this first one I am flooring over the bottom and putting down furniture as I go. The -1 level will be a dining/great room, I think. Then some workshops on ground level. Doing it this way saves walls, at least. I could have carved out bedrooms on the bottom, but my OCD kicked in and I thought, "what if I want to take out the walls later? Those won't be considered outside."

It's just 9x9 interior, which I think won't be a standard. Looking at the guilds, I think 11x13 or so will be a better fit. That way a fully developed guild can fit on a floor with some room for stairwells.

Not into the new buildings yet beyond the splitters. But I did notice only arrows in the craftsman's. Based on what I read I was expecting bolts. I thought crossbows were going to be the human starting ranged weapon.  I think the manual says that.

I also got bloomberry seeds on embark, but can't grow them. Since they are a bit pricey (4 each) that was a disappointment. I wonder if they are kobold only, or if it's just a biome difference from the homeland.

The new combined manual is nice.

An aside on the manual: Orc section could use mention of how to make pulleys and what exactly it takes to build each of the three ships. The entry on the shop just says what the components are, not how many you need. Makes troubleshooting stockpile links hard because it's hard to tell if it's bad linkage or it just takes more components than you have. Since raiding in pretty central for orcs it's a bit frustrating.

I think I am going to like humans. If I can keep the gators away.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: August 02, 2014, 08:43:36 pm »

Rock splitter is bypassing the "stone" selections on the Z menu. Besides cutting peat, it just cut up my meteorite boulders too.

Working as intended? If so, need a warning in the manual to forbid or use stockpile links.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #463 on: August 02, 2014, 08:51:09 pm »

Nah, I'll fix that up. It shouldnt accept everything, just normal rock.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: August 02, 2014, 08:54:04 pm »

An aside on the manual: Orc section could use mention of how to make pulleys and what exactly it takes to build each of the three ships. The entry on the shop just says what the components are, not how many you need. Makes troubleshooting stockpile links hard because it's hard to tell if it's bad linkage or it just takes more components than you have. Since raiding in pretty central for orcs it's a bit frustrating.

pulleys at Goblin tinkerer, or buy them at arms bazaar

2 pulleys per ship with rigging
Searching for: xebec
reaction_orcfort.txt(2752): [NAME:Build a xebec raiding ship]
Found 1 occurrence(s) in 1 file(s)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 66