Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Villian's Den [A Suggestion Game]  (Read 7625 times)

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
Re: Villian's Den [A Suggestion Game]
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2014, 12:01:08 am »

I agree with you on everything except for the last one, about the Magic user being exempt from doing any work. I would say that, if found to be with magical ability, that they still do their job, at least for right now. We need every hand in getting this place fully functional, so having one man/woman sit out, maybe a few men/women even, could cause future problems.
All glory to the Hypnotoad.
Random fact: Robin Williams was once addicted to cocaine during the late 1980's/early 1990's.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2014, 03:47:56 pm »

Mages should eventually be devoted to practising magic, but for now there are more important things to be done, like getting some farms up and running! Didn't we bring any seeds with us?

Rest should follow escaped lurker's suggestion, exept scouts should do the scouting and solders should stay back with the peasants.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2014, 04:54:14 pm »

We should do some farm work also, we need stuff going ASAP, also the peasants would appreciate seeing their lord helping.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2014, 05:33:28 pm »

Take active role in managing things and lead by example. Also while you're at it listen to the mood of peasants and solders, their concerns, fears and useless dreams, that kind of stuff.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2014, 05:45:08 pm »

Note: Turns, at least for the beginning, are about a week long, with role-play sections occasionally. After you have established the basics, turns will go to about 1 month.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2014, 06:16:30 pm »

Mages should eventually be devoted to practising magic, but for now there are more important things to be done, like getting some farms up and running! Didn't we bring any seeds with us?

Rest should follow escaped lurker's suggestion, exept scouts should do the scouting and solders should stay back with the peasants.
Take active role in managing things and lead by example. Also while you're at it listen to the mood of peasants and solders, their concerns, fears and useless dreams, that kind of stuff.
+1 to farms and leading by example. We'll eventually force our peasant hordes to do stuff for us, after we have risen to godhood.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2014, 08:06:22 pm »

Settling Down, Week 1

You begin juggling projects, trying to get the town together before anything big happens. The mason nods his head, takes his men, and heads off to repair the walls. He manages to solidly patch up the eastern-most breach in a week, and is already working on the second one. You get a few looks from the soldiers when they see the rusted weapons in the armory, and one even says that they couldn't even cut butter. They still pass them out, however.

Two of the best climbers among the scouts head up the mountain, looking for a suitable place to start mining. They do find a single shallow indent that looks a little promising, but it would take some work to get to any ore, and it's fairly high up the mountain. Meanwhile, the scout/soldier pairs comb the forest, looking for dangerous wildlife. It appears to be safe, but they aren't entirely certain.

The woodworkers, reassured by the scouts, head down the mountain to chop some wood, along with an overseer and about twenty peasants. They manage to clear-cut a decent patch of forest, and, with only some difficulties, haul the lumber back up the mountain. They get to building houses, and manage to build enough shacks for roughly half the population. Together with the barracks in the castle, you should be able to house everyone, although the people in the barracks won't be too happy about it. One of the woodworkers, meanwhile, steps forward, saying he has a tiny bit of experience making bows. He might be able to make hunting bows, or low-draw weight bows with actual tipped arrows, but he can't make anything very lethal.

Meanwhile, the rest of the peasants, together with an overseer, start working on making a simple communal farm. Soil is fairly rare on the mountain, but they manage to find a decent patch of fairly fertile land, along with a natural underground reservoir for a well. They begin cleaning up the field, removing rocks and weeds, and tilling the land. One of them even formally requests that you give them the manpower to build a well.

You walk around in between projects, handing a carpenter a hammer in one place, helping clear rocks from the field in another, and listening to their thoughts. You also hand the book to one of the peasants, asking them and their shack-mates to look at it in their time off. You suspect that it will take a month or two until you get any results. You remember during a work break that a caravan from a nearby village should arrive in a few months, sent by your supporters back home. They'll expect something in return for risking their necks sending you supplies, of course. You brought enough food to last at least until then.

Statuses

Spoiler: Possessions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Capital Town (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Land (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Your People (click to show/hide)

Fact of the Update: Overview of the Kingdom

The Kingdom of Thomakath is a major player on the world stage, with a strong economy and military.

-Economy
  The kingdom gets most of it's iron and gold from the mountains to the west, for minting coins and making tools and weapons for it's large army. The woods in the north provide large amounts of lumber and pelts, enough to build magnificent cities. The plains to the east provide large amounts of food, and also breeding stock for animals, such as cows, pigs, sheep, and one of the most important strategic resources in the area, horses. Taxes are low, but existent.

-Laws
 Thieves have to return the item they stole, pay the full cost, and are flogged in public. If they can not pay the cost, then they are exiled to the criminal caste, and are considered even lower then the serfs, and not even real people. Murder, arson, and tax evasion are all punishable by Eging, a methodical type of torture so brutal, that not even the lowest of the low dare speak of it.

-Military
 Every family of less then 5 is required to train and equip one of their own as a spearman, with an iron spear, iron dirk, and leather armor, or a bowman, with a bow, iron broadheads, iron dirk, and leather armor. Every family of more then 5 is required to equip one of their own as a swordsman, with an iron sword, shield, and chain armor. Almost all men in the kingdom are taught the very basics of combat at a young age, too. Along with this levy, young, healthy men can work as full-time soldiers for their liege, and are usually much better trained then the levy. The Kingdom has a proud bow tradition, and it's common to see young men, even those who's family can't afford a bow, sitting at the local archery range.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 06:49:00 pm by Playergamer »
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2014, 06:11:40 pm »

Approve bow making and offer him assistant or two if he needs them (massed archers on top of that slope... I like), rest of woodworkers should continue working on building more housing. Also approve well building and split peasants between working on the farm (if there isn't enough work there they can help with wood hauling or masons) and well project, with emphasis on the well.

What do we have that can be traded? We can't count on getting goblinite but hunting could get some pelts or such to be traded.
Start practicing swordmanship on your free time, keep up with other projects (magic screening, our PR campaign). When there are enough bows start training peasants with archery.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2014, 06:27:40 pm »

Approve bow making and offer him assistant or two if he needs them (massed archers on top of that slope... I like), rest of woodworkers should continue working on building more housing. Also approve well building and split peasants between working on the farm (if there isn't enough work there they can help with wood hauling or masons) and well project, with emphasis on the well.

What do we have that can be traded? We can't count on getting goblinite but hunting could get some pelts or such to be traded.
Start practicing swordmanship on your free time, keep up with other projects (magic screening, our PR campaign). When there are enough bows start training peasants with archery.

No to the bow since it doesn't seem very useful and yes to more wood for housing since no one under us deserves to live under that shitty barracks. Also have the same scout teams comb the forest again for dangerous wild life, can't be too careful.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2014, 06:31:06 pm »

+1 Our archers will rain death upon our aggressors! And the bows will be useful for hunting.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2014, 06:36:00 pm »

+1 Our archers will rain death upon our aggressors! And the bows will be useful for hunting.
+1

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2014, 06:49:52 pm »

The mountains are reported to have deposits of iron and other such minerals.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2014, 09:24:06 am »

Settling Down, Week 2

The bow-maker shrugs off the offer for an assistant, pointing out that they'd probably end up getting in the way. He heads off to work, but seems to be having trouble working. Some of the wood is unsuitable for bow-making, he can't find good enough string, plenty of reasons. By the end of the week, he hasn't made a single bow. However, you have other things to worry about. A small group of peasants work on the farm, weeding and watering, while another group begins building a well. They don't make much progress, however, and are only about 20% of the way to the water source.

The woodworkers, meanwhile, get to building more houses, but run into a timber problem, and only get about six done before they run out completely. Some more of the peasants clear-cut and haul up a gigantic load of wood, probably enough to build a whole city, and still have some left for firewood! Firewood. That reminds you, winter may be a problem.

The masons, finally, have a bit of a manpower shortage with all these other jobs, but somehow pull out a miracle, and fix up the two remaining breaches. In fact, they did it so well, you can't quite remember where the breaches were, since they didn't even leave a weak point in the wall.

You begin practicing your swordsmanship, but don't really learn anything at all. In fact, at one point, you almost stabbed yourself in the foot. It was a truly embarrassing display. You check on the peasants who are being screened for magic, but realize that it hasn't been long enough for them to show any signs. You continue helping with the projects, trying to make your people like you just a bit better. When you are at the farms, however, you hear the sound of running feet behind you. You turn around, and realize it's one of the soldiers on watch. He says that a group of armed men is climbing up the mountainside, towards the walls. You run to the walls as fast as you can, and make it in time to see the group of about fifteen men reach the top of the slope. Their leader extends his hand to you, although it's a pointless gesture, considering how far away you are.

"Hello there, I didn't know anyone lived on this mountain. I'm Ser Bernard, and I'm a knight in the court of Sir Gerard."

You consider the idea, but looking at the tattered surcoats and awful hygiene of his men, you doubt he's really a knight. You have about ten soldiers here, five swordsmen and five archers, and they have sent runners to fetch the others.

Roleplaying Session. The dice appear to hate you today.

Spoiler: Possessions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Capital Town (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Land (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Your People (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Your Military (click to show/hide)
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2014, 10:25:13 am »

See if the bowyer can make some crossbows - those would be better for arming peasants anyways.
Have the carpenters and peasants make more shacks - I think around twenty more should be good.
As for 'Ser Bernard', listen to him while we wait for the others to show up.

((Speaking of winter, what season is it in-game? And how many people do the shacks house? I'm assuming 3-4.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2014, 11:31:18 am »

See if the bowyer can make some crossbows - those would be better for arming peasants anyways.
Have the carpenters and peasants make more shacks - I think around twenty more should be good.
As for 'Ser Bernard', listen to him while we wait for the others to show up.

((Speaking of winter, what season is it in-game? And how many people do the shacks house? I'm assuming 3-4.
+1
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7