Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How can I get water in winter?  (Read 2977 times)

Ebonblade7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How can I get water in winter?
« on: April 06, 2014, 10:06:48 am »

I created a new fort, which is prospering and everyone is unhappy. After surviving a goblin siege, winter sets in. When I start seeing cancellation spam from everyone trying to get water to the wounded, I decided to approach the forums about it. The pools are all frozen, I can't find the 1st cavern layer, and would prefer if I don't lose 1/4 of my military to thirst.

Ebonblade7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How can I get water in winter?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 10:11:15 am »

I dug 2 layers down and struck the caverns. They are full of water. I'm feeling more than a bit stupid right now. I hope the caverns don't decide to share the FUN too soon.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 10:19:47 am »

You might want to build a lot of traps in your entrance to your cavern if you don't seal it off.

If I were you I would dig a shaft above the water inn the caverns and build a well at the top of it.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

catpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 10:27:12 am »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Reservoir

Personally I embark on either a brook/river side or with an aquiver available so there is some form of infinite water. But Reservoirs will work as well, if it rains occasionally sometime in the year

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 04:44:20 pm »

Whatever you do, DON'T LET WINTER HAPPEN.

Ahem, er, yeah. Put it in a nice warm hole.

THE HUMANITY!

I made a fort where instead of soil, we had sand, preventing me from farming until I discovered a silt layer. My dwarves all died of thirst when winter happened, because we were plump helmet deficient and waterless.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 06:07:25 pm »

Whatever you do, DON'T LET WINTER HAPPEN.

Ahem, er, yeah. Put it in a nice warm hole.

THE HUMANITY!

I made a fort where instead of soil, we had sand, preventing me from farming until I discovered a silt layer. My dwarves all died of thirst when winter happened, because we were plump helmet deficient and waterless.

... you can farm just fine in sand or clay too. I guess you didn't have any surface plants to gather either?

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 10:28:09 pm »

If you have a surface stream, you can channel it into a reservoir indoors (which is what I did in my fort).
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

Methadone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 11:41:00 am »

If you have a surface stream, you can channel it into a reservoir indoors (which is what I did in my fort).

This is what I usually do as well; it's easy channel/mine out a path and moderate sized reservoir in winter, then come the thaw trigger a floodgate, fill it up, and shut it back down before the freeze. Just remember, if you put a grate in along with the floodgate, make sure it is upstream. I've learned the hard way that rocks get suck in grates, preventing a floodgate from closing again.

As for the caverns, you can build walls all the way up to the map edge, so it shouldn't be too hard to secure a small area with water for a short-term/emergency water option.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 05:02:45 pm »

This is what I usually do as well; it's easy channel/mine out a path and moderate sized reservoir in winter, then come the thaw trigger a floodgate, fill it up, and shut it back down before the freeze. Just remember, if you put a grate in along with the floodgate, make sure it is upstream. I've learned the hard way that rocks get suck in grates, preventing a floodgate from closing again.

As for the caverns, you can build walls all the way up to the map edge, so it shouldn't be too hard to secure a small area with water for a short-term/emergency water option.

No, you can't build walls up to the map edge. I think the limit was 6 tiles? Any closer than that you need to use raised bridges as wall substitutes.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 05:06:15 pm »

Aquafiers make pretty good water sources... Just channel out the top layer a few squares and shove a well on it (or have a pump first for filtering out the nasties).

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 03:19:13 pm »

If you have a surface stream, you can channel it into a reservoir indoors.
This is how I usually end up doing it.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 07:17:59 pm »

If you're going to move it indoors, make sure it actually goes indoors (inside, dark, subterranean) because freezes reach anywhere light reaches (learned that the hard way). If you're moving water from a sea or murky pond, make sure it gets pumped at least once before reaching the reservoir to filter it.

Getting clean water into my base always becomes a grand construction because I f***ing love aqueducts...

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 08:49:21 pm »

I should probably recommend the dwarfy solution of ‼MAGMA‼.

Specifically, if you have flowing magma on the tile below ice (even if there is a floor in the way), the ice melts into 7/7 water. This doesn't seem to work with stationary lava, though, nor with multi-deep water (in my experience; be careful with testing this because a cavein could happen).
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 09:57:47 pm »

Here are the methods:

1. Don’t embark on a biome where water freezes in winter.

2. Build large underground cistern and fill it up from a brook or river. Ideally this should have a floodgate to control the flow of water.

3. Obtain water from an aquifer. Be careful.

4. Dig to the caverns, locate a water source, and either drain the source (which should border on the map edge) into a cistern or build a well right above it.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 07:47:32 am »

Will it work if you assign a pond somewhere during summer and then forbit the buckets right out of the hands of your dwarves that go to fill it up, creating a stockpile of water buckets? Or will dwarves not use buckets of water they themselves have not personally filled on that job? I'm wondering if this method could be useful early on, especially if your water source is in range of enemy archer fire.

You can build a wall right up to the map edge in the caverns, unlike on the surface. But it's probably easier to create a well in the roof of the caverns and just hope no flying forgotten beasts arrive.
Pages: [1] 2