Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How can I get water in winter?  (Read 2973 times)

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How can I get water in winter?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2014, 09:48:46 am »

Will it work if you assign a pond somewhere during summer and then forbit the buckets right out of the hands of your dwarves that go to fill it up, creating a stockpile of water buckets? Or will dwarves not use buckets of water they themselves have not personally filled on that job? I'm wondering if this method could be useful early on, especially if your water source is in range of enemy archer fire.

You can build a wall right up to the map edge in the caverns, unlike on the surface. But it's probably easier to create a well in the roof of the caverns and just hope no flying forgotten beasts arrive.

I don't think dwarves use buckets pre-filled with water for anything. This can mean that all your buckets get reserved for storing water that never gets used.

IIRC you can't build walls right up to the map edge even in the caverns, you're still stuck 1 tile away (5 tiles on the surface). Again, raised drawbridges or casting obsidian work right up to the edge.

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2014, 10:41:38 am »

You can.
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

secretlyabarnowl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2014, 01:19:22 pm »

-snip-
IIRC you can't build walls right up to the map edge even in the caverns, you're still stuck 1 tile away (5 tiles on the surface). Again, raised drawbridges or casting obsidian work right up to the edge.

Actually, you can build walls on cavern edges. It wouldn't make sense if you couldn't.
obliged to play dwarf fortress

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2014, 05:25:24 pm »

Incidentally, I just ran into this problem myself. Had a 1-tile cavein in the first spring that I thought just knocked 2 dwarves unconscious, but apparently they did get wounded, because someone was just trying to give them water just now. The snow melted in the first days of the summer, but the ca. 30-tile pool I have just outside hasn't melted yet. Haven't hit the aquifer yet, and the mountain is pretty high, so it might be 30z down from where my miners currently are, so I'm going to melt the pool with magma from my volcano.

edit: the lakes finally melted too, on the 5th of Malachite. So apparently I've got about 1 month of unfrozen pools on this embark. Oh well, might as well finish the pool heating system, was nearly done anyway, and it'll allow me to move my magma workshops slightly closer/to the same z-level as the rest of my outdoor camp.

edit: Yea, the lakes froze again on the 25th of Malachite. 20 days of unfrozen water. I got the pool heating system dug without the tube-breaching dwarf even getting burnt (although he did want to pick up the piece of obsidian from the breach). HOWEVER, I'm having !!FUN!! now, as some grass had grown in the channel I dug for the magma, and now there's a wild grass fire everywhere outside. Classic Dwarf Fortress Moment.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 07:01:18 pm by Snaake »
Pages: 1 [2]