Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Poll's closed.

Until I figure out how to un-close it, at least.
- 0 (0%)
So yeah.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 01, 2014, 02:06:40 pm

Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 136

Author Topic: Re: !!Post - USSR Politics Thread!!: On Lockdown Due to Excessive Politicking  (Read 156521 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: !!Post - USSR Politics Thread!!: Righteous Idignation Edition.
« Reply #1560 on: April 29, 2014, 09:57:18 am »

Maybe it's, like, a pair of maracas made to look like grenades? That would explain why he has one in both hands.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: April 29, 2014, 10:10:59 am »

One of those grenades is tucked in his belt, I guess.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: April 29, 2014, 10:16:38 am »

At that angle, it would be seconds ago from falling out, and if there's one thing I know about grenades is you don't want them falling under your feet randomly.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: April 29, 2014, 10:19:08 am »

At that angle, it would be seconds ago from falling out, and if there's one thing I know about grenades is you don't want them falling under your feet randomly.

Well, sometimes guys in Waffen SS Galichina were not quite competent, yet enthusiastic they were.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: April 29, 2014, 10:31:38 am »

Well, sometimes guys in Waffen SS Galichina were not quite competent, yet enthusiastic they were.

That doesn't seem like a trait that could sustain itself in any population.

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Re: !!Post - USSR Politics Thread!!: Righteous Idignation Edition.
« Reply #1565 on: April 29, 2014, 10:32:25 am »

Here we have some ukronazi posters from WWII.
http://moisha-liberman.livejournal.com/4308.html
Ukronazi? WTF? I see here typical German propaganda in occupied Ukraine here. Yeah, they used Ukrainian language  because using German would be counterproductive.

Maybe, but I see similar banners here for some reason...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-j-4LgfAqk
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 10:35:31 am by ivze »

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: April 29, 2014, 10:34:13 am »

That doesn't seem like a trait that could sustain itself in any population.

As you can see, there are some descendants despite that illusion. AND there were professionals who betrayed Soviet motherland.
Sigs

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: April 29, 2014, 10:57:08 am »

Waffen SS Galichina guys were quite lucky after the war comparing to Russian waffen SS. Those were interned back to USSR by western allies, while guys from SS Galichina were (or claimed that they were) Polish citizens and that changed things. Later majority of the survivors from the division emigrated to Canada.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: April 29, 2014, 11:07:09 am »

But, i'd say that currently, even Svoboda and the Right sektor cant make much of an excuse for not standing up by Ukraine against Russia. Putin must be stopped and if russia needs to go down for allowing him to stay in power, so be it.
I remember your first few posts in this thread... You sure turned around ;) Well, maybe less 'turning around', more 'situation is turning'.

And:
The difference is between WERE and ARE. bringing up propaganda posters from WWII is nothing but another offensive propaganda.
A thousand times yes. One of the most reputable newspapers in Germany had two (!) articles on the front page of their feulliton section arguing that a) Germany supported Ukrainian nationalism during WWII, so we shouldn't do that now, b) Ukraine only existed because Germany wanted to hurt Russia and thus created Ukrainian nationalism during WWI (or something like that), c) Ukraine has traditionally been in the Russian sphere of influence, so that should stay the way it is, and d) Ukraine as a nation doesn't exist anyway.
History is a good guide for strategy, but not a good guide for setting moral norms.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: April 29, 2014, 11:45:29 am »

Looks like an anti-tank grenade kind of thing, and yes it looks sort of odd.

Anyhow, this is sort of going off topic.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/29/us-ukraine-crisis-luhansk-idUSBREA3S0IO20140429

Yet ANOTHER building siezed, it almost sounds like they want the Russians to take over that part of the country. I don't know whether they were on strict orders to not fight back or what.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/russia-says-us-astronauts/1089664.html
'Iron curtan' rhetoric aside, they do have a point about the sanctions potentially boomeranging back and affecting the US space program. None of us wants to see the ISS fail.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 11:50:34 am by smjjames »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: April 29, 2014, 11:49:56 am »

b) Ukraine only existed because Germany wanted to hurt Russia and thus created Ukrainian nationalism during WWI (or something like that)
Journalist didn't do his homework right or just tried to steal Austrian achievement. It was Austro-Hungarian idea to create Ukrainian nationalism. :) At least that what some Russians say

Yet ANOTHER building siezed, it almost sounds like they want the Russians to take over that part of the country. I don't know whether they were on strict orders to not fight back or what.
My thoughts exactly....
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1571 on: April 29, 2014, 12:10:54 pm »

Pft, 'rebel leaders' are targetted by EU sanctions? Who? And also: lul. Someone doesn't like their account being frozen.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #1572 on: April 29, 2014, 12:11:33 pm »

Hmmm, you know, that's actually an interesting point. A quick search tells me such banner was also only ever used by 14th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS (1st Ukrainian).

I am not knowledgable on this subject, so anyone cares to tell me what's that march all about? Ukrainian Ranger, any thoughts? Is this some sort of idiotic nationalism? Did this banner's meaning change during decades for some (Ukrainian) people and is now NOT associated with SS anymore or what?

I understand given it's history this could be seen as a symbol of fighting against Communism-->Soviet Union-->Russia, but it's a bad idea to use a symbol that also directly associated with Nazism...
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: April 29, 2014, 12:23:31 pm »

Apparently, they use Nazi symbolics all along, since Euromaidan till now. Ask UR. Or google. Or BBC. And they mean it. Though it is a highly flammable question.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 12:25:35 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: April 29, 2014, 12:24:00 pm »

Hmmm, you know, that's actually an interesting point. A quick search tells me such banner was also only ever used by 14th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS (1st Ukrainian).

I am not knowledgable on this subject, so anyone cares to tell me what's that march all about? Ukrainian Ranger, any thoughts? Is this some sort of idiotic nationalism? Did this banner's meaning change during decades for some (Ukrainian) people and is now NOT associated with SS anymore or what?

I understand given it's history this could be seen as a symbol of fighting against Communism-->Soviet Union-->Russia, but it's a bad idea to use a symbol that also directly associated with Nazism...
Well some people already said UPA was pro nazi for quite some time. That and the great pole axing that happened back in the day (60k people axed mostly women and children) made poles look suspiciosly on anything related to ukraine as of late.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 136