Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 90

Author Topic: BoundWorlds: An action-adventure game with an insanely powerful level editor  (Read 146930 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: BoundWorlds Open Alpha - Explore the Multiverse and build a world!
« Reply #660 on: December 23, 2017, 11:01:32 am »

It will indeed be possible to make the screen change color soon, I just need to add the code for it.  I was planning on making some automatic options for timed flashes (and also screen shakes) but I can add the variable sooner I guess.

Also boss subtitles are planned, so that will be nice for more dramatic effects.

There are a whole bunch of bugs that popped up recently, possibly related to the previous issue.  A lot may also be related to the fact that I changed the way graphics are processed in order to make colored sprites possible.  Where specifically are your edits not being saved?

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: December 23, 2017, 11:18:26 am »

Okay, good. But no worries on getting it out sooner. I’ll just add it once it’s in.

Cool!

My edits were specifically not saving in the functions and techniques menus. I would enter, make a change, leave, leave the object menu to change something else, come back, and my changes would be gone.

Thank you.
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: December 23, 2017, 03:51:02 pm »

I rewrote the drawing function to work more efficiently.  The memory drain is much smaller now and the game seems more stable overall.  This may or may not be related to the issue you've been having; I haven't been able to replicate it.

Are you sure you didn't try to click and drag a frame in the tech editor's timeline?  This is a known bug; the frame appears to be there but it is deleted when the room is tested or reloaded.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: December 23, 2017, 04:07:33 pm »

Great!

Nope, happened to my update function too. Maybe it will be gone when I log back in. Edit: The glitch, not the function.
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: December 23, 2017, 05:02:56 pm »

Probably.

I figured out what the problem with your teleport is.  Since _rand gives a fractional number, the _tileprops function was trying to locate a tile at a fractional position.  This doesn't exist, so it would always evaluate any property of the tile as 0.
I fixed this by making _tileprops automatically round down.  However this will still cause problems on the actual jump, since it will use the fractional positions, causing the object to not be aligned perfectly with the tile (meaning they could possibly end up partially in a wall).  So I added a _floor function, which rounds a number down to the nearest whole number.
So the jump destination should now be { (_floor(tx) * 32) + 16,(_floor(ty) * 32) + 16 }
I also added a _ceil function, which rounds up to the nearest whole number.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: December 23, 2017, 07:22:16 pm »

Thank you! I was actually considering asking about for those formulas, but I forgot. Should be generally helpful, plus that fixes my teleports.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 07:43:23 pm by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: December 24, 2017, 03:55:29 am »

Item and class restrictions should work now.  Basically this allows you to export public packages containing items without allowing other world builders to create them wherever they want.  This gives you better control over the distribution of your items.

I made venom fangs private to test.  It should not be possible to give the player a bunch of venom fangs without creating and killing an appropriate number of spiders.  Well, I guess they could make a spider processing machine since the spiders themselves are not restricted, but this will be handled by the spark-based item value limiting system.

EDIT: Also added in a bunch of new options and variables.  _room._flashcolor and _room._flashlevel, an option to make text boxes appear in the center or bottom of the screen, and more inline text rules like [align=center] for centered text.  Also line breaks now work for displayed text.  Put together, you can make proper boss subtitles.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: December 24, 2017, 10:44:47 am »

Okay.

Yay for tints and more text options! These will be great.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: December 24, 2017, 11:21:44 am »

I'm trying to decide what to do about AI during cutscenes.  Right now you have to be careful not to start a dialogue with an enemy nearby or they can attack during the cutscene.  I have a way of disabling them but if I just disable all objects it won't be possible to use walk or jump events during cutscenes either.  The main question is what will be more intuitive for builders.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: December 25, 2017, 01:00:10 am »

Is it possible to just disable AI but allow jumping/walking commands (I don’t know).

My first miniboss has very low damage, but, every now and then, makes 5 shadow clones of it (with only 1 life), and two shadow clones of you (again, 1 life), all of which teleport around the field when spawned, as do it and you (and you and the Mage are tinted dark until there are now shadows left). Every clone has shadow fire spells, leading to a lot of unreliable fire. So all the small damage will stack up. The boss was originally going to have the ray spell, but that will likely mean lag, so it is getting cut.

Also, Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 01:01:53 am by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: December 25, 2017, 01:25:29 pm »

I made a few changes to the overall structure of the game's memory.  Worlds and rooms are now offloaded properly when you leave them, which should make things less crash-prone overall.

I've also made some changes to how worlds are linked together, making tags and gate types more relevant.  There aren't enough worlds to go around yet to really notice though.  You will also now need to specify which gates serve as exits to your world in order to backtrack to them.  Even if you don't want them to be backtrackable, you should still mark your world's exits, as they will be used later by server-side algorithms to construct the multiverse's "geometry" - classifying worlds according to how many entrances and exits they have and then lining them up to create multi-world quests.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: December 25, 2017, 01:33:47 pm »

Oh, good!

Makes sense, although I kind of like the teleported gate at the end of my dungeon to just go anywhere.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: December 25, 2017, 03:09:52 pm »

It still does - the point of specified world exits is simply so the server knows which gates to add to the database.  Right now this is only needed for backtracking, but at some point the server will start to analyze paths - where players entering one gate tend to come out, where they are prone to get stuck and/or quit.

Worlds will be classified under pseudo-categories like Hubs (many exits, players tend to return often and leave through a different exit), Roads (a small number of exits, players tend to go back and forth), and Dungeons (one exit, players tend to enter and return the way they came after spending a fair amount of time inside).  It will use this information to construct more stable pathways (hub-worlds will have dungeon-worlds branching off of them, and will be connected to each other by road-worlds) and even procedurally generate quests.

Of course you can make a Gate that simply goes anywhere, but even now there is some streamlining involved.  Walk gates will try to connect to other walk gates facing in the opposite direction, ground holes to sky holes, and teleports to teleports.  The algorithm also tries to ensure that backtracking rules line up (if you enter a non-backtracking Gate, it tries to put you on a Gate that does not allow exiting).  And tags are also used to find appropriate locations.  There are too few public gates right now so it appears mostly random, but as more areas are added it will become more coherent.

I'm also going to add a popup that lets you see the details of gates that have no unique "ideal" destination - i.e. "in demand" gates, in order to give world builders ideas.  For example, "Gate Request: Walk Gate entering North with tags: Swamp,Village" if someone makes an exit that requests such a destination but none exists.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: December 25, 2017, 10:45:30 pm »

Oh, okay! Cool! One other type of path that might be common would be one way roads (like my first dungeon). Sorry if you mentioned that and I overlooked it, I just wanted to mention it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: December 28, 2017, 05:26:40 am »

Persistent items are now active.  It is now possible to save data between sessions and across worlds.

To use an item in a world, it must be imported into that world.  Disabled items will appear greyed out.

Item partitions aren't active yet, so the only data an item can store is its own number.  Although you can set an item as a "key item" to prevent players from throwing them away in your world, there is no way to prevent a player from discarding them in another world.  So for now, each item should be regarded as a literal object.  When partitions are active it will be possible to store more complex and "linked" bits of data.

Items with prices are a bit complicated.  They will be evaluated as similar to sparks when determining how many a player can take from a world, and will be added to the player's spark value when determining how much to return to the world builder.  Basically, treat them as if they were coins of the equivalent value.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 90