Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 90

Author Topic: BoundWorlds: An action-adventure game with an insanely powerful level editor  (Read 146944 times)

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
Re: BoundWorlds Open Alpha - Explore the Multiverse and build a world!
« Reply #645 on: December 20, 2017, 02:45:55 pm »

Okay. I might just wait for drawing functions for the projectiles.

Ooh. More visual effects.

Well, that explains part of it, although it was a new projectile, so I am still a bit confused. Flame one creates flame two (and destroys itself) after 200 frames. And trying collision and touched based effects didn’t work either. When it does work, the returning blue flame should make dodging the unaimed star and plus shaped bursts. Plus it melee attacks, just to make it a bit trickier. On the bright side, blue flames only do 3ish damage.
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #646 on: December 20, 2017, 03:29:48 pm »

Colorizing is in.  The automatic flash effects aren't active but you can set them manually using _flashcolor (a color string) and _flashlevel (a number between 0 and 1).  You can also set this to the class or individuals to change their color.

Your enemy group is nicely done!  I may borrow some of your ideas and modify them a bit.  There's no real "forking" system in place, but of course you can always re-copy them yourself.

By the way, you can include published packages inside other packages.  Any included packages work as "requirements" - that is, loading one package will automatically add the objects in every packages it includes.  This is useful for effects that may be used by multiple creatures and will be especially important for items, since "copies" of an item will not be considered the same item otherwise.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: December 20, 2017, 03:49:39 pm »

Yay! That should make for a bit of a neater boss fight. Although I may want to look for a giant spider monster art (big enough that the normal would look bad)

Thanks! Hope they’re helpful.

Okay. I can put potions in a seperate package (and fire, and my healing drops, and maybe blue fire, if I use more that has it. I think that I’ll put in monsters with my miniboss and boss skills, but not the actual bosses. Those are mine. Every other monster I deem sufficiently interesting gets in). But currently no items, since my enemies don’t drop them.

I am really going to have to redo my first dungeon (once my current one is done) to make it less boring. It doesn’t really do anything of interest right now.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 11:38:19 pm by Kamani »
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: December 21, 2017, 02:20:22 am »

I figured out the problem with the returning blue flame.
Its jump function is 1 frame long, but it runs every frame.  This means that it never properly "touches down" so it doesn't process collisions.
Set it to be 0 frames and it will work.

By the way, you forgot to include projectiles and effects in the package.  I wonder if I should update the package system to only be capable of interacting with objects inside the same package - this would make the system less flexible, but also more consistent...

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: December 21, 2017, 10:13:47 am »

Ohhh. Good, that issue was super annoying.

Yeah, I remembered last night. I won’t be able to access a computer for another fivish hours. Sorry about that. That change would be eh, but wouldn’t affect me hugely. I don’t actually use the copies of the monsters in my package. I only use other versions so that the name can fit with my dungeon (Sorcery Flame vs. Spid’s Sorcery).

Edit: Nevermind, fixing it now. Edit: Fixed. Should work now.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 10:59:01 am by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: December 21, 2017, 11:01:17 am »

That's fine.  Although, for minor things like that it might be good practice to make the changed fields individually editable.  This will broaden the potential applications of the package.

I've been re-importing the world of Protea from the original BoundWorlds and updating it for the current version.  As there has been a lot changed (previously the game was grid-based and had no built in combat system) that's quite an update.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: December 21, 2017, 01:39:40 pm »

Yeah, I'll set that up to be editable soon. Didn't think about it. Edit: Oh, right, done.

Cool!

Edit: Fixed the "Pyre Skulls drop venom fangs" issue (oops...), but more importantly, I got the testing to worldeditor crash, but this time it mentioned not having enough memory. Could be relevant?

Edit: By hopping up in the worldedit object click menu, I moved into seeing Elemin (Better known as Chicken Rock). I noticed a room labelled Mush Room. A. Should it be possible to jump to the game level from the object click menu? B. Is this room accessible? C. In Chicken Rock, using the transformer means you have max hunger and take a bunch of damage until you peck.

Edit: So in my room 5, I have a special golem that, when it and everything it summons are down, should be activating something (a variable is set to one, than increased for each one summoned, and decreased for each one down). But it isn't, and, though I have spent a good 20 minutes trying to figure it out, I have no clue. Do you have any idea what might not be working?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 02:52:14 pm by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: December 21, 2017, 03:57:40 pm »

Memory issues seem likely.  Probably some code is adding things to a list and not removing them.  Now I just need to figure out where.

Only public rooms can be accessed from any menu.  Sometimes I make rooms public just for kicks.

I can't check your world right now, but the Mush Room is for testing the idea of a multiplying enemy that has a cap for multiplication and can run an event when finished.  The method I used to do this was to make an invisible spawner object that sets itself as a variable in the original spawned sprite, which in turn sets it as a variable in all the objects it spawns.  The invisible object is used to store the count in the manner you are using and checks its count in the update function to determine when they are all dead.  I'll release it for examination later.

Keep in mind that destroying an object through a Destroy event does not run the object's ondeath function.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: December 21, 2017, 03:59:51 pm »

Okay.

Makes sense.

Sounds neat!

I made that mistake, but I noticed, and I thought I had corrected it. I’ll check again.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: December 21, 2017, 04:08:06 pm »

Also, if you want to read a variable in real time, you can set a sprite's _text variable to display it.  This can be useful for debugging.  (You can also use the Log event, but you'd need to open the browser console and that's also where I print out all the in-program stuff, so probably better not to bother.  I'll make an in-game console at some point.)

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: December 21, 2017, 04:09:34 pm »

Oh, that should help tremendously. Thank you.

Edit: ... Okay, this issue was actually kind of embarrassing. I had placed a golem, and THOUGHT I placed my special golem. I didn't. Oops.

Edit: My teleporting enemies seem to be teleporting into walls again. I can't figure out why, but in the click menu, the safe and tilecheck variables are both showing as blanks, so that might be relevant.

Also, I am making a new laser firer which fires half as often but does double damage. It was lagging in worlds with several other objects.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 06:11:03 pm by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: December 22, 2017, 06:16:18 am »

Are you also seeing a bug where the whole browser stops working for a few seconds, then starts again but the main screen remains black?  Sometimes I'm not sure if the issue is a major one or if it's just that my computer is slow.

Anyway, I released the multiplying mushrooms under the package "Amanita".  You can set their maximum group number and various functions that occur when they are all killed.  There is a trick to beating them... I may actually use them as a miniboss.

I might be changing the player's use of MP, adding a new rapidly increasing bar for stamina and using MP for item-based spells instead.  Using MP as stamina will still work in general, the only thing that will change are abilities that currently affect the player's MP directly.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: December 22, 2017, 07:38:06 am »

Don’t think so?

Ooh, neat!

Also neat!

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: December 22, 2017, 08:19:57 am »

Hmm...usually, when you play, do you do a lot of travelling?  Or do you just focus on your own world?

I have a suspicion of what's causing the crashing problems.  It seems that areas aren't actually being deleted when they are offloaded - they are still being stored in memory.  This means that as you visit more worlds in a single session, the browser takes up increasingly more memory.  This can cause various issues as the browser either compensates by not running certain processes, or simply fails altogether.

At least, I think that's what's causing the problems.  I'll rewrite the loading code to see if it helps.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: December 22, 2017, 09:04:32 am »

Lately, I've been focusing on my own world. I want to finish it, and I have played most of the worlds currently out there, so travelling isn't my main focus right now.

Edit: Will there be a way to make the screen flash/tint the entire screen (or is this possible and I missed it)? I want to make it happen before my miniboss (and I want to make the screen tint dark during the fight. They have a flare for dramatics), just to increase the sort of over dramatic acting of the boss.

Edit: Okay, very, very annoying glitch. Very frequently all of a sudden, when I am doing something, the changes I just made to an object will be undone when I check the menu again. It has made it impossible to get anything done. Any clue what could be wrong?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 10:34:41 am by Kamani »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 90