Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 90

Author Topic: BoundWorlds: An action-adventure game with an insanely powerful level editor  (Read 146945 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: BoundWorlds Open Alpha - Explore the Multiverse and build a world!
« Reply #630 on: December 18, 2017, 02:10:46 pm »

I definitely plan on improving the death gate system - it's a very simple placeholder for the time being.  The original idea was for it to be used as a kind of "capture" mechanism - you die in an area, you wake up in the dungeon of whoever runs the place.

Curious to see what you come up with for the Shadow Mage.  I have plans for the same sprite, and it sounds like they might be quite different!  But since the character isn't mine, I hold no reservations over it.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: December 18, 2017, 02:46:42 pm »

Makes sense.

My new teleporting enemies (with 5 range) still seem to be warping into blocks sometimes. I might make it so that if they teleport into a wall, they just teleport out. Also, is there any way to check the dimensions of a room and set it as two variables (x and y)? I could put the teleporting enemies in Kamani's Monsters package that way.

So what are your plans for the sprite? I am guessing it is probably more of a boss than the miniboss I am using it as, but I could be wrong. For all I know, it is a planned NPC.

Edit: How does the player skill block reduce damage? I would prefer if you couldn't use it to nullify my laser skill (oh gosh, I had to copy/paste this fire projectile bit 120 times), so I would like to understand it.

Oh, right, and I gave the weaker Shadow Mages a laser skill. Keeping two on screen will probably cause lag now, since they fire 120 projectiles (1 per frame), which stinks, but it is a neat skill. Each hit from the ray does 1 damage, but it stacks up to death if you take the whole hit. It also has 1 kb. It can be partially dodged pretty easily, so it isn't too unfair.

Edit (... I really edit a lot. Hope it isn't a pain): How can I do or in an if statement (like I know and is &, so what is or?)

But I think 4 enemies (and the mini-mini bosses) should be enough. Maybe two more, since none of the current ones use melee.

Still have yet to finish the videos on game design, since I can't usually watch videos.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 03:21:31 pm by Kamani »
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: December 18, 2017, 04:02:36 pm »

Blocking reduces damage by 1 and cuts the remainder in half.  I guess the laser deals 1 damage per hit?

Wow, you really did overcomplicate that laser.  Stuff like that might go better in a looping function rather than a tech - since techs can't use delayed loops, have the tech call a function instead.  And the slowdown is pretty severe.  Maybe cut it down to one shot every 4 frames (if each does more damage it won't be as blockable) and/or let the shots collide with walls.

Or is | (shift + backslash)

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: December 18, 2017, 04:09:39 pm »

It lags? Odd. I guess laptops have more processing power. I’ll try that.
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: December 19, 2017, 03:30:47 am »

It's about time BoundWorlds got proper looking transitions.  So I made some.  More options for fades and flash effects coming soon.

I guess my tablet is pretty slow.  Well, at least I know that if things run fast on it, they should run fast on a normal computer.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: December 19, 2017, 07:39:59 am »

Cool!

Not really sure what to do with my laser. If I reduce the attacks to reduce lag, it won’t look right.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: December 19, 2017, 08:54:39 am »

Maybe reduce the lifespan significantly (say, to 60) and give it a short death fade timer, like 15.  This will reduce the range, but not enough to really matter, and gives it a cool fade out effect.

It might just be my computer; I tested on a faster computer and it's fine.  It's up to you whether or not you want to make your world more accessible.

I changed the HP and MP bars to be optional (hidden by default except for the player) and added in RPG-style damage number popups.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: December 19, 2017, 09:05:55 am »

I'll reduce the lifespan. I would prefer my worlds to be playable on a tablet as well. Edit: Looks super neat, and I actually prefer the range a little lower, I think. Keeping those to a limit of one per room (or two for large enough rooms that they won't meet), because when you put four on screen, they lag a laptop. Not sure what would happen if you put like 12 on screen at once, but it would probably crash or something.

Now I can use the MP bar as the life bar for certain enemies. Yay!

Oh, right, but one other thing: Is it possible to store room size as a variable? That would let me package my teleporting monsters.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 09:14:32 am by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: December 19, 2017, 09:22:34 am »

Yes, I'm pretty sure you can read _room._width and _room._height.  If not I'll make it so that you can.  Actually there shouls probably be consistency between tile height and pixel height.  I have to check.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: December 19, 2017, 01:46:34 pm »

Okay, this is a bizarre issue that may have nothing to do with BoundWorlds, but I have to mention it nonetheless. I can't type the Q, W, A, S, D, Z, X, C, Y, or comma keys into IDs or text boxes, and I can't use the arrow keys to move around. I can use them in other places (like I just did), but not in game. Any ideas? It works for a few minutes, but then suddenly stops. I have no clue what this issue could be caused by, so I am at a loss (and randomly losing some of the most important keys is a huge pain). Any ideas?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: December 19, 2017, 03:19:00 pm »

Yeah, I've seen this before - it happens when the game is still trying to use in-game controls in the worldbuilder.  Something I did recently must have changed it.  I'll fix it.

EDIT: Ok, it's fixed.

By the way, have you been getting any points where the whole site crashes?  It seems to happen rarely to me but it might just be because of my computer.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: December 19, 2017, 03:38:01 pm »

Okay. Thanks.

Edit: My site does (rarely) crash for no explicable reason. It just gives me a generic not responding website message and doesn't work. Edit: Okay, this happens very rarely when I go from testing mode to edit world. No other knowledge as to why.

Edit: How can I disable showing healthbars after it is enabled?

Edit: Severe glitch. Apparently. I can't leave the Display event menu. There is no X to click or done. Was the menu being edited?

Edit: New enemy (Melee this time!): Golem. Their gimmick: It takes 6 (or maybe 7?) hits to kill them always, and, equally importantly, each hit creates a tiny, harmless looking golem stone beetle (takes ~2 hits to kill (20 hp), has terrible damage. Sword reduces it to one hit.). Which, in ten seconds, will become a bigger bug (~3-4 hits, 40 hp, still bad damage). Which will become, in ten seconds, a small golem (5 hits always, the last two of which becomes a tiny golem beetle). Which, in ten seconds, becomes a new big golem (that will probably give no sparks, but otherwise be identical to the original). Fight smart, and they'll be harmless, but just rush them, and you'll end up surrounded by deadly golems. Not good.

Edit: Time adjusted again. No real need to say the new ones.

Edit: Bullets probably shouldn't show damage messages.

Edit: Pyreskull, Mushghast, Spid's Sorcery (under the name Sorcery Flames), and Golem were added to Kamani's Monsters package. They are designed for topdown. I also made the fireballs ghostly for the sphere enemies. If requested, I can change this back (I don't think anyone is currently using them, so I don't have to worry about stuff being messed up badly), or add extra versions with this.

Edit: Is there a way to set the rotation of an object as a variable? I am planning something difficult, but that might be really neat.

Edit: What is rotation actually measured in?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 10:48:58 pm by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: December 20, 2017, 04:41:08 am »

That's where I've seen crashes too.  Unexplained crashes are the worst, but at least now I can narrow it down.

I fixed the display menu issue.

Added some more options.  You can disable the damage messages for sprites such as bullets or anything else that uses unconventional damage mechanisms.  You can also create custom damage-style text (in functions) displaying whatever you want to replace them.  As with all text fields, you can insert variables by encasing them in {curly braces}.

I've also added custom display bars.  In "special variables" you can create an indicator bar for any custom numeric variable.  You can also set conditions for displaying or hiding it.

I've updated techs to allow expressions for the "next check" value under AI behaviors.  This allows you to make more complex behaviors, making creatures more or less likely to use a technique depending on their status, instead of simply enabling or disabling it altogether.  I also fixed the issue that prevented AI from using interrupts.

I've demonstrated all of these new features in the chickens.  They now have a custom hunger bar, and they grow more likely to peck around if they are hungry.

Rotation is measured in degrees per frame.  It's mainly used for sprites that have "free rotation" graphics.  The plan is to use it for Asteroids-style space areas, but it's largely untested right now and might not work right.

By the way, you can fire a projectile at a specified relative angle by using "horizontal angle".

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: December 20, 2017, 07:54:13 am »

Okay.

I couldn’t get my projectiles to fire without going at an angle relative to the spider, so I did it by making a bunch of _update projectiles.

Edit: Is there a way to make my projectiles show up higher than tiles on the layer above them? I would prefer that they aren't hidden. This is also tricky with people using spring jump in front of the two high stone stalagmites (because the top tile is second layer), but that is less annoying. Usually.

Also, I just made a projectile that fires out, stops in air, and then moves back to where it spawned. Very neat (and also a pain to figure out).

Edit: The returning flame (even though it is a new flame, to get around the only hits once thing), does no damage. I don't know why.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 12:30:20 pm by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: December 20, 2017, 12:41:46 pm »

There's no way to make a sprite appear on top of the layer above it.  I guess you could make the sprite invisible and then create a fake visible flame that tracks its position.  Ooor I could make a function that lets sprites appear on different layers.  There could be a whole bunch more drawing functions, really.

Speaking of drawing functions, I'm adding in colored flash effects, both for the whole screen and individual sprites.  Maybe individual layers too for flashing background effects.

The bullet thing needs to be fixed.  Bullet-type objects (that deal damage on collision) are supposed to deal damage every time they "pass through" a target, but they don't seem to reset properly.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 90