Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: Interstellar Mercenaries v1.10, Mission 1, Turn 4: Within the Walls.  (Read 17654 times)

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interstellar Mercenaries v1.10, Mission 1: Ready, Steady...
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2014, 07:20:05 am »

(( Ops, but then why split up 1 by 1 lol you'll get murdered by the horde you wake up when every one of you has no support. ))
Before you start a war, you better know what your fighting for.
If loves a fight, then I shall die, with my heart on a trigger.

I'm an angel with a shotgun, Fight until the wars won. I'd throw away my faith, just to keep you safe.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2014, 07:48:25 am »

(( Ops, but then why split up 1 by 1 lol you'll get murdered by the horde you wake up when every one of you has no support. ))
((For one, I have a suppressor. Two, what do you mean with no support? I think each of us can count 9 people to count on for at least nominal help.))
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2014, 08:06:23 am »

(( Most of the others have to go inside the enemies range to hit the enemy though and they can't support each other when all of them are under attack individually.

Besides to hit all of them that's like 2 of us per side of the base. Not much support possible when most of us can't even see each other. ))

I'm an angel with a shotgun, Fight until the wars won. I'd throw away my faith, just to keep you safe.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2014, 08:29:00 am »

((26 isn't that much considering we have the surprise and (probably) longer range guns, leaving us with fewer enemies after the first turn, before they react. Second turn, shorter range arms can fire, leaving even less, though the alarm may call more enemies to the surface. We actually have the advantage here, as they don't know our locations, and are quite scattered. Besides, why would they call all their troops to the surface killzone, when they can lie in ambush in their underground base, where we don't have the surprise? Really, I don't doubt our chances, at least just yet, these are just faceless mooks after all. If we'd suddenly get an enemy with a name, then I'd be scared.))

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2014, 08:42:50 am »

(( A mook with a gun can kill you just fine. Bad odds of it true but no reason to use horrible tactics just to tempt fate. No military in history would scatter its force so badly that it can't support each other that's just begging for somebody to get jumped. Not to mention it raises our odds of being spotted by about 400% since people will be moving around all 4 sides of the base so every single sentry has to be avoided. ))

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2014, 08:52:33 am »

Sit and wait. If something makes the guards on my part of the wall leave, try to sneak in.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2014, 09:53:31 am »

(( A mook with a gun can kill you just fine. Bad odds of it true but no reason to use horrible tactics just to tempt fate. No military in history would scatter its force so badly that it can't support each other that's just begging for somebody to get jumped. Not to mention it raises our odds of being spotted by about 400% since people will be moving around all 4 sides of the base so every single sentry has to be avoided. ))
((Surrounding an enemy is one of the most basic, by-the-book strategies used. See here and here. I wouldn't call it a horrible one, as only named characters can realistically pull a stand against it. The thing to remember here is that this is a work of fiction, thus the rules of it apply. 10 highly trained space mercenaries played by actual players can easily beat 100 faceless mooks, as per the rule of Conservation of Ninjutsu. We need to apply both realistic strategy and Genre Savviness to succeed in this game. Another argument: What do you propose for us to use as a strategy?))

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2014, 09:53:55 am »

Approach the battery. Try to stay out of the range of enemy turrets and such.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2014, 10:00:00 am »

"Uh, guys, you surely don't think about murdering everyone right now? Because if answer is positive, we will face quite a literal laser-lead rain from these walls. Especially if they have something more potent than a few rifles...

((You both have a point. This game is on edge of realism and fiction, as I see it. We can easily murder dozens, but one set of unlucky - especially lucky for guards - rolls will obliterate us just fine. So, storming while screaming nonsense is half-assed tactic))
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 10:44:47 am by Sarrak »
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2014, 10:07:06 am »

((Seriously though, if anyone has any ideas for a strategy, go ahead and say it to put it on the table, so to say. We don't have to go with the first plan anyone suggests.))

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2014, 10:22:20 am »

(( We have what 2 suppressed snipers? Pick a specific area like I did corner and clear it, then snipers remove suppressors and drop any guards they see drawing all attention to them while the team can slip in quietly in the chaos.

Also you don't surround a fortress with 10 people lol. You do it on open ground when this outnumbered. Fir a base like this you need a lot more then 10 people for surrounding it. ))

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2014, 10:23:21 am »

"Quite enough. But I think that best snipers must snipe those near barrel firstly and then move onto wall targets. Now to hear opinions from others."
((I already am using blue...))

((Here's my plan. You sniper guys provide overwatch/distraction for the guars on the south left/right corners, while the rest of us assault the south wall, with our demo guy blowing a hole. We get in, rig the battery, and blow it. How does that sound?))
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2014, 10:29:48 am »

(( We have what 2 suppressed snipers? Pick a specific area like I did corner and clear it, then snipers remove suppressors and drop any guards they see drawing all attention to them while the team can slip in quietly in the chaos. ))
((This is something to consider. To make it even better, we could do the distraction part by throwing a smoke grenade far away instead of revealing our exact positions. This way, they are slightly more suspectible to an ambush as they investigate, instead of shooting straight away.))

((Here's my plan. You sniper guys provide overwatch/distraction for the guars on the south left/right corners, while the rest of us assault the south wall, with our demo guy blowing a hole. We get in, rig the battery, and blow it. How does that sound?))
((We'll need to get inside the underground base and destroy the actual machinery; the barrel is too simple to replace to call destroying it "done". First, though, we'll need to think about how we'll actually get inside.))

((EDIT: This planning could also be done IC, by the way.))
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 10:35:16 am by IcyTea31 »

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2014, 10:36:42 am »

(( Or both, we clear them a way in then you go to one side and throw smoke and I go the other and start shooting. Double distraction to really confuse the defenders and scatter them. ))

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2014, 10:43:24 am »

"Quite enough. But I think that best snipers must snipe those near barrel firstly and then move onto wall targets. Now to hear opinions from others."
((I already am using blue...))
((Sorry for that. My coloration choice disturbed blazing glory a bit and I hurried to change it to something else. And stick to it. Will change once more.))

"As for actual plan, surrounding base in semi-circle, shooting everyone in the vinicity and breaching into compound with fireworks, as suggested by John, is probably our best alternative to a risky complete encircling and some other plans. I would add to it that we can send a small group - no more than three people - to provide backup fire from the other side. Sitting still, they will get quite a great view of guards backs after our initial breach"
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12