Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: Interstellar Mercenaries v1.10, Mission 1, Turn 4: Within the Walls.  (Read 17672 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Interstellar Mercenaries v1.10, Mission 1: BEGIN!
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2014, 04:47:19 pm »

Mission 1: The Droplets of Fire that Rain from the heavens are You

The ten of you sit in the briefing room once again, staring attentively at the lack of a map on the screen. The same briefing officer as before steps into the room, and taps the screen to reveal the picture of an orbital defense battery.
"Well, team, you lot have been chosen to go on this mission, as well as a bunch of other teams. Long story short, our employer is trying to attack this planet, but it's not going very well- they have shields and point defense set up, so orbital bombardment isn't working. As such, your job is going to be to drop onto this site and disable the gun. Now, the facility is not lightly defended- there is an actual wall around the place, with a remote-controlled gate as the only entry and exit, at least as far as we can tell. There are at least 20 guards on duty at any given time, enough to cover each side of the fence extremely well. You'll have to rely on the forests to get you close, but be warned that these soldiers are thought to be equipped with infrared visors.

As for disabling the guns, you will have to make your way into the battery itself- most of the structure is underground, aside from part of the barrel and the point defense batteries- and make sure that the soldiers there can't fire, by any means neccesary. We wish you luck."

With that, he shuts off the screen and says, "Well, get to the dropships. You have ten minutes."

As the ship takes off from the hanger, you watch the planet unfold before your eyes, the green carpet covering the planet only broken by the signs of civilization, with cities forming huge blisters of shields and roads within their carpet of jungle. The ship kicks in engines, and your pods rumble as the security clamps release, readying you for launch.

And launch you do, the cloaked pods shooting out from the underbelly of the dark ship into the wide-open void of space, the atmosphere approaching quickly as a shell of blueish orange that you slam into, the coating around the pod rising in temperature, and you can feel it, windowless and insulated as the pod is. And then you're clear, silent retrorockets firing to slow your descent and the gossamer chutes unfolding overhead, the only indication of your pod helping you survive being shot at a planet from outside its orbit the clicks and forces pulling at you in your gel housing.

And then it's done, the pod rocking as it finds its way to the softest landing possible, thumping into the ground. The gel around drains into hidden reservoirs in the recesses of the pod, and then the front falls open in front of you, letting fresh air into the compartment. Grabbing your gear from the compartment, you assemble outside of your pods, the group having fallen to the west of the battery, holed up in the woods. It's a short walk from here, and you're out of sight, having landed behind a small hill- your company chose the site very carefully, it seems- but you're going to have to get in somehow. You can't see the gate, but you think that it might be on the far side of the giant cannon barrel sticking out of the ground in a giant hold, a small clearance around it enough to move the gun to aim. There are various service elevators and hatches dotting the surface of the battery, but right now, you need to get closer.

So, what do you do?

Character Sheets Here
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2014, 04:55:22 pm »

Sneak to the edge of the treeline, and hold position, load my weapon with my rocket clip.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2014, 05:05:56 pm »

Look for high ground that overlooks the base with good sight lines especially over what looks like the enemies ammo dump, go prone and set up my bipod on it using my suit to hide. Begin mapping enemy positions in my head.
Before you start a war, you better know what your fighting for.
If loves a fight, then I shall die, with my heart on a trigger.

I'm an angel with a shotgun, Fight until the wars won. I'd throw away my faith, just to keep you safe.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2014, 05:25:16 pm »

Sneak to the north, try to find good covered position to observe a walltop. Set up bipod and look for guards
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2014, 09:21:35 pm »

Look for high ground that overlooks the base with good sight lines especially over what looks like the enemies ammo dump, go prone and set up my bipod on it using my suit to hide. Begin mapping enemy positions in my head.
Classic lone wolf.

"Okay guys, how do you want to go about this? I was thinking we..."

John trails off as half the team walks off.

"Okay. That's cool... I guess... Let's all go our own ways..."

Feeling slightly dejected, John starts heading towards the gun. Where are the nearby access points?
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2014, 09:32:47 pm »

(( *Shrugs* I'm a sniper, what better way for me to do my job then high ground with good sight lines so I can wreak a little havoc and keep them occupied? We have radios btw so you can still talk to us.))

I'm an angel with a shotgun, Fight until the wars won. I'd throw away my faith, just to keep you safe.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2014, 09:33:35 pm »

Classic lone wolf.

Feeling slightly dejected, John starts heading towards the gun. Where are the nearby access points?
"Hey, you can come with me and help me blow my way in."
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

blazing glory

« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2014, 09:39:00 pm »

Suffer a heart attack.

((This RTD is too complecated for me so I'm dropping out now))

Nunzillor

« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2014, 10:30:03 pm »

As he observes his surroundings, Jack feels himself growing nervous.  This unease only increases when a nearby comrade crumples to the ground, clutching his chest.

"Hey, we have a man down!  Help me out over here!  Anyone have any medical training?"

Jack immediately rushes over to the downed squadmate to render aid.

((Ooc: isn't it true that surveillance infrared technology is much less effective during the day?  I suggest we ask command when the next day cycle will occur on this planet, if it is not already light out.))

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2014, 10:33:30 pm »

(( Not all that much unless the day time is very hot. Otherwise the human body still registers hotter then the surroundings especially while your active so you'd still stick out. Since they're using it I'd guess this place has a fairly low temperature making body heat an effective means of spotting targets which would explain using it.

If it was just for darkness they'd be using night vision since it's more effective at range then infrared. ))
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 10:36:11 pm by PewdsRocks »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2014, 10:45:20 pm »

(( Not all that much unless the day time is very hot. Otherwise the human body still registers hotter then the surroundings especially while your active so you'd still stick out. Since they're using it I'd guess this place has a fairly low temperature making body heat an effective means of spotting targets which would explain using it.

If it was just for darkness they'd be using night vision since it's more effective at range then infrared. ))
((This is what happens when you don't do your research, folks.

This planet is now a taiga/cold jungle.

Or, how about I just go with 'SPESS MAGYKS MAKE IT HAPPEN!'

Yeah, I'm gonna go with that.))
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2014, 10:59:08 pm »

Head to the south side of the compound in the cover of the trees, set up (AP rounds), start spotting and inform squadmates with whatever communication systems we have.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2014, 11:05:27 pm »

Get to the treeline, load AP, look for enemies.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2014, 10:01:44 am »

Classic lone wolf.

"Hey, you can come with me and help me blow my way in."
"Sure. I got you covered."

follow this guy. Provide over watch.
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2014, 10:16:51 am »

Move from cover to cover towards the compound - preferably, at a brisk pace.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12