Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Necromancers, Shadows, and Octopi (Suggestion Game)  (Read 11281 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancers, Shadows, and Octopi (Suggestion Game)
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2014, 12:14:16 pm »

So basically we should shelf the printing press idea for now. How heavy is a stag skeleton? We could switch it off and just carry it with us if it's not too much.

We should also conceal our hair as much as possible.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2014, 12:33:36 pm »

Alex could make one now, but I'm not sure how much more useful it would be over a standard abacus, unless you have lots of math planned.
Hmmm... I wonder if we could link pieces to each other... Some sort of distance communication thingy... I was thinking it could be useful for scouting or relaying information back to us when one of our companions is shopping in town, but if we go for that, we could probably go for some kind of Ouija board setup (in terms of layout, not that we'd be binding spirits to it).
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2014, 05:32:43 pm »

Is there something specific *preventing* it, or is it just that none of the plans we've come up with are clever enough? What I were talking about is much more similar to how a fax machine or such works. literally the only operation needed is looking at a single square millimeter and seeing if it's mostly black or mostly white, and turn a wheel to drive the mechanical parts, no need to understand letters or write; those arise emergently from the non-magical extremely simple mechanics.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2014, 05:44:32 pm »

Lack of precision with just straight-up copying everything, but, after thinking about it, that's not an issue if he can animate small creatures. Yes, he can build it with his current skills, with some time to work it out.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 01, 2014, 05:34:01 am »

We may need to abandon the Stag. I'm gonna vote for abandoning Mr. Staggywaggy. Tell him to shut down or destroy him if unable.

We can always come back and find him later.

If we have some sort of hooded thing, we could stuff our hair into our shirt/pants and wear a hood, maybe wear some sort of shaded glasses to prevent the eyes from tipping peeps off.

Work on convincing Tammy that necromancy is fine, and can be super fun also. She seems on the fence about it.

Continue onwards to the mountains.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 10:27:34 pm by Kevak »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2014, 05:01:42 pm »

((I had considered making an April Fool's 'art' of a chibified Alex dancing. My laziness has spared you.))

"Bye, Staggy! I wish we could take you with us, but we'd get strange looks."

The three stood around a freshly dug hole. Tammy raised an eyebrow at Lyssa. "It can't understand you. It has no mind."

"How can you say that about Staggy? He's been our faithful companion, and if we have to leave him behind I'll at least say 'goodbye.'"

"I want to try something." Alex looked at his first animated skeleton. It was oddly good at knowing when he was giving it an order, and not just chatting with his friends. He still didn't know much about control matrices, and couldn't get it to obey anybody other than himself. The book wasn't helpful for this.

"Die. De-animate." It continued standing motionlessly. "Drop dead." The skeleton fell over onto its side.

"Oooh, the dead obey your orders good enough to die even more."

"No, it's only playing dead. It's legs are still hanging from nothing." Alex touched it and closed his eyes, concentrating while he dissipated the control matrix. Without that, the magic holding it together would fade entirely in a matter of days, leaving a perfectly normal pile of bones. His eyes shot open. "I can feel where it's missing. I think I might be a natural at sensing my creations! Yeah!"

Lyssa cheered. Tammy looked at him for a few moments before speaking. "So, you'll always know where they are? Wouldn't that drive you insane if you get more than a few?"

"Unless I'm focusing on them, it should just remain a general idea of where they are. If I'm good enough, and spend lots of time practicing, I'll be able to use one's senses and command it remotely. It will work better on my intelligent minions."

Alex hid his hair in his outfit, and they managed to pass through to their destination without incident. They sold the few skins they had gathered, and bought a few cheap construction tools with most of their money. A week of searching led them to a small, semi-secluded valley partway up a mountain. The nearest village was a week's walk away, with a town three days beyond that. The village's graveyard is a short distance away from it, and should be fairly easily raidable. There hasn't been much time for practicing, but Alex was now fully recharged.

Projection skill increased
Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Alex (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Spells (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Minions (click to show/hide)

You are now safe, for the moment, to practice magic and set up some sort of defensible living area. If you think it wise, Alex may attempt to teach Lyssa and Tammy magic at any point. (You may look for a different site, if you prefer. Neither of your companions will be as good at Alex at learning magic without a tutor.)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 05:05:00 pm by Nirur Torir »

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 02, 2014, 05:09:45 pm »

Set up a basic camp. Investigate the graveyard from afar. Determine when it would be safe to raid it.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 02, 2014, 06:33:58 pm »

Attempt to teach them both magic! Three necromancers are better then one!

Set up a basic camp. Investigate the graveyard from afar. Determine when it would be safe to raid it.

This.

And I want to see a chibi of that at some point, that would be awesome.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 02, 2014, 06:51:00 pm »

+1
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 02, 2014, 08:54:43 pm »

> Now's the time to try proofs of concept of all those ideas we've been having! Do all sorts of experiments with small should-be-easy but clever applications.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 03, 2014, 12:33:43 am »

STRIKE THE EARTH!
In a manner of speaking. Find a cave, check if it's inhabited (we have a tracker, so do it via the "hmm, yes, there appear to be tracks around this" method rather than the "oh, this cave interior looks quite pre-ARGH A BEAR MY SPLEEN" method). If it is, TRAPS, ALL OF THE TRAPS, then look for corpses. If not, set up inside, then look for corpses.

Attempt to teach them both magic! Three necromancers are better then one!
-1, we still need them capable of going into town for supplies and such without being instantly (propositioned by every circus/set on fire by every priest) within a 40000km radius.

And I want to see a chibi of that at some point, that would be awesome.
Tentative +1.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 03, 2014, 01:46:12 am »

+1
+1

> Now's the time to try proofs of concept of all those ideas we've been having! Do all sorts of experiments with small should-be-easy but clever applications.
+1
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 01:48:45 am by Chink »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 04, 2014, 09:15:36 pm »

Two and a half weeks later, Tammy and Alex hadn't made much progress on their camp. Turning trees into boards with only hand tools was proving difficult. Nobody had gotten hurt yet, but it had been close on two occasions. They had gathered together enough uneven boards to make a shack, but were waiting for Lyssa's return for an extra pair of hands. For now, they slept under the stars, hoping the good weather continued.

During Lyssa's turns with their only axe, Alex had tinkered with various ideas. He had successfully made, in order, an automated crank for a crossbow, a necromantic sensor linked to a trap trigger, and a slow copy machine. He had tried and failed to make homing projectiles.

Lyssa greatly appreciated the upgraded crossbow, which began reloading automatically when a bolt was inserted. It didn't reload noticeably faster than she could, at least with her current bow, and it was a bit bulky, but it didn't tire her. Alex could vaguely feel its existence. It felt a bit fainter while she was out hunting. When he had pointed it out to her, she'd been ambivalent.

The sensor could be set to trigger when it sensed motion in whatever area Alex defined. It could be pre-set not to fire at certain people. It would still fire at his minions, but Alex thought he could remove that later. He could link together multiple sensor/trigger combos, if they were close enough together, giving them nearly the same magical upkeep as just a single sensor/trigger combo.

His final success, his copy machine, worked by slowly moving a sensor over a page. If it detected color, it made a dot at the same place on a second page. The copies were of a decent quality, but copying a 'normal' sized page took about eight hours. Alex wasn't confident it could reliably turn a page by itself without tearing it, and would need more practice.

"I think .. I'm done .. for today." Tammy sat down beside him, breathless. She watched him carving a mechanism for a few minutes while she caught her breath. "If Lyssa doesn't return tonight, I'm going to go look for her in the morning." She shook her head "I should have gone instead. She still thinks this is a game or story. If she-"

"Hey there, relax." Alex reached an arm around her shoulder and gave a friendly hug as he cut her off. "She only went to look around. They're not going to imprison her just for, what, being a traveler interested in them? I'm sure she just got caught up in a festival or something."

She didn't return that night.

Around noon the next day, a contrite Lyssa returned wearing an unevenly bulky bag, leading an angry-faced Tammy. "Alex .. I saw a chance and I thought it would be helpful to-"

"She took it upon herself to steal a skeleton."

"It was safe! The graveyard is outside the village, and it's behind hills and tress so you can't see it!"

"So, alone, you couldn't see anyone before they found you digging up their father. You got very lucky."

"But nobody saw me and I brought back a skeleton for Alex..."

Command up! Capacity up! Mechanics up!
New spell: Bone Mechanism.
New trait: Talentless Carpenter.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Alex (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Spells (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Minions (click to show/hide)

((I'm ret-conning what I'd said last turn about only having 100 nails. I should have left it vague.
Tammy's crossbow now counts as a minion.
Alex can spend time meditating to recharge mana, and maintain more minions/enchantments. Currently, the copier is dormant, since you don't have ink or paper. It's safe to leave a minion dormant for a week at a time. Alex needs to be on-site to re-activate and maintain dormant minions. Upkeep is cut to around 10% while dormant, but it will take time to maintain if you have more than a few. It takes time to reactivate dormant minions, and cannot be done by a dumb trigger.
Alex may meditate to gain more mana. He will get 4x as much mana recharge for a day dedicated to meditating. Meditating increases the recharge skill faster.
The rolls for magic skill-ups were {73}, {76}, and {76}. I found this mildly amusing.
You rolled a {1} on the construction skill-up. Do not expect Alex's minions to be remotely useful for carpentry-work.))

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 04, 2014, 09:49:04 pm »

Hmm, maybe trying to add an aiming aid to the crossbow next?

A new idea: animate a bird skeleton, fill in the wings with cloth to let it fly again, and replace the beak with a needle/sharp nail that can be poisoned (and find a poisonous plant or shroom to do so with. Deadly poisons are actually really easy to find in nature, it's nonlethal or hard to detect ones that are difficult.).
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10