Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Drow  (Read 2973 times)

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
Re: Drow
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 04:25:50 am »

Yes, well. Imagine the potential. Underground elves that don't murder you for killing trees. I imagine that they'd be almost as awesome as dwarves.

Underground elves who murder you for killing mushrooms!

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 05:26:12 pm »

Well, just the idea that underground elves could exist when we get the civilization randomizer is enough to sate me for a while. And perhaps when they are underground they will stop sending out armies to end my fortress over a few beds.

Oh, will elves attack if you give them goods made from towercaps?
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 05:49:24 pm »

Well, just the idea that underground elves could exist when we get the civilization randomizer is enough to sate me for a while. And perhaps when they are underground they will stop sending out armies to end my fortress over a few beds.

Oh, will elves attack if you give them goods made from towercaps?

Right now? Yes, since the underground trees are made of wood.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 05:53:44 pm »

Well. Shit.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 05:55:43 pm »

You may not get attacked, but they will get angry and refuse to trade. It actually takes a lot of deaths and angered merchants to get them to siege you.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2014, 02:35:10 pm »

That's a relief. I started building ballista towers for nothing.

GENERATION 29:

PersonGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 08:02:45 pm »

Calling them drow would probably not be possible due to copyright and all, but having underground elves is something I'd love to see myself as well. I don't think Toady has ever said anything about whether it's something he's got planned or not. Hopefully it'll be made possible when we get variable civilizations, which is something that's planned and could very well include civs changing their preferred biomes. Bring on the mushroom retreats I say!

Drow come from old Orkney/Shetland folklore, and most certainly isn't copyrighted.

Drow in orkney island folklore is a alternate spelling of trow which are a form of troll.

Drow come from old Orkney/Shetland folklore, and most certainly isn't copyrighted.
Interestingly, poking around on Wikipedia reveals that the Orkney/Shetland word is thought to come from the Norse word for "Dark Elf", which in turn is apparently another name for Dwarfs.

That is contentious as the only one known source from the time after Christianity  became commonplace says that dark elves and dwarves are the same thing.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2014, 01:24:21 am »

Rather than Deep Elves specifically, I think it would be interesting if the game had a way to allow any race to become "acclimated" to certain environments and gain changes based on that environment.  This would allow eg. Elves or Men who have been changed by living in the depths; or people who have been changed by living in environments with heavy spheres of one sort or another.  People who live in evil or good areas might become altered towards those ends; people who live in savage areas might grow larger and rougher and less socially skilled, etc.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

KrEstoF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2014, 02:15:02 pm »

Yes, well. Imagine the potential. Underground elves that don't murder you for killing trees.
Yep, they murder you because they can.

To be more accurate, they murder you because you aren't them.  ;)

Nostrolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2014, 12:40:23 am »

I think this has potential to be really beneficial to the game. What if you built a trade depot in a cavern? You could have drow merchants coming along, perhaps they would specialize in bone crafts, logging, and weapons/armor their forest cousins are too granola to make. I like the idea of them being hostile as well, like maybe you'll get drow invasions below ground like you get goblins above (and sometimes below). I also want throw this idea in here that I remember seeing suggested that gnomes could serve as kobolds of the underground.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2014, 12:47:06 am »

Rather than Deep Elves specifically, I think it would be interesting if the game had a way to allow any race to become "acclimated" to certain environments and gain changes based on that environment.  This would allow eg. Elves or Men who have been changed by living in the depths; or people who have been changed by living in environments with heavy spheres of one sort or another.  People who live in evil or good areas might become altered towards those ends; people who live in savage areas might grow larger and rougher and less socially skilled, etc.

I like this, although for the sphere system and not the good/evil system which Toady has claimed will become obsolete at some point.

The only comment I would have is that it seems a bit... odd from an evolutionary perspective.  Almost reminds of Lamarck's version of evolution.  So hopefully there would be some sort of explicit magical explanation.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 [2]