Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Drow  (Read 2972 times)

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
Drow
« on: March 18, 2014, 05:19:01 pm »

I personally think that the addition of subterranean elves would be really awesome. Plus, they'd be better than those hippy elves in the woods. I don't really have anything to say that would make that seem more plausible or beneficial, just that it'd be cool.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Drow
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 05:30:18 pm »

Calling them drow would probably not be possible due to copyright and all, but having underground elves is something I'd love to see myself as well. I don't think Toady has ever said anything about whether it's something he's got planned or not. Hopefully it'll be made possible when we get variable civilizations, which is something that's planned and could very well include civs changing their preferred biomes. Bring on the mushroom retreats I say!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 06:46:02 pm by Manveru Taurënér »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 05:34:01 pm »

I think the idea is that the RAWs are supposed to let you change a few lines and have drow.  You could pretty much do that now except that underground races are utterly lame (no buildings or anything) and iirc don't appear often due to glitches.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 05:37:32 pm »

Yes, well. Imagine the potential. Underground elves that don't murder you for killing trees. I imagine that they'd be almost as awesome as dwarves. Perhaps we could edit in that underground races have buildings? Think that could add in some extra !!fun!!?
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 05:39:15 pm »

I hate to say this because we all already are... but wait for the release?  I think the first underground sites will be added in in the form of underground dwarven settlements, so it might be possible to mod in drow that have underground buildings.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 05:41:24 pm »

Yeah, that might be for the best. But now I'm thinking of an attack against the surface dwellers ala the Underminer.

GENERATION 29:

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 06:32:45 pm »

Calling them drow would probably not be possible due to copyright and all, but having underground elves is something I'd love to see myself as well. I don't think Toady has ever said anything about whether it's something he's got planned or not. Hopefully it'll be made possible when we get variable civilizations, which is something that's planned and could very well include civs changing their preferred biomes. Bring on the mushroom retreats I say!

Drow come from old Orkney/Shetland folklore, and most certainly isn't copyrighted.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 06:34:37 pm »

Drow come from old Orkney/Shetland folklore, and most certainly isn't copyrighted.

My bad then, had somehow gotten the idea it was a dungeons and dragons invention :S

Regardless, calling them drow would probably be a bad idea. Better to have something set up to randomly pick a name based on underground themed words such as mushroom elves, deep elves, cavern elves etc, seeing as we already have all these made up words waiting to be used for something ;P
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 06:42:07 pm by Manveru Taurënér »

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 08:51:35 pm »

Yeah, perhaps that would be best. And then the normal elves can be called something like "Tree Elves" or whatever the game randomly generates.

GENERATION 29:

Bo-Rufus CMVII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 10:56:23 pm »

Yes, well. Imagine the potential. Underground elves that don't murder you for killing trees.
Just don't mess with their mushrooms.

Bo-Rufus CMVII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 11:30:59 pm »

Interestingly, poking around on Wikipedia reveals that the Orkney/Shetland word is thought to come from the Norse word for "Dark Elf", which in turn is apparently another name for Dwarfs.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 02:08:39 am »

Yes, well. Imagine the potential. Underground elves that don't murder you for killing trees.
Yep, they murder you because they can.
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 03:02:58 pm »

Interestingly, poking around on Wikipedia reveals that the Orkney/Shetland word is thought to come from the Norse word for "Dark Elf", which in turn is apparently another name for Dwarfs.

So, full circle? There aren't really many main races in DnD that are actually copy righted since most are ripoffs from other things. Its the minor monsters that usually are copyrighted.

Jheral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 12:06:29 am »

Don't know that I'd neccessarily call Illithids or Beholders 'minor monsters' myself, but yeah, there is very little original stuff in any of the core DnD settings.

I don't know that we need more elf races though. Take too many steps in that direction and we'll end up like DnD, with an elf race for every occasion, which makes even less sense here since they don't even die because of old age. Goblins are kind of the "evil elves" of DF already, and they do have that subterranean flavour, so some kind of deep goblins might be a better pick imo (certainly better than encouraging the elf creep).

Or just make a completely new one. Like make Gremlins a civ or something, for instance. Although I guess that would be somewhat less threatening.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 12:08:58 am by Jheral »

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 03:17:07 am »

I don't think adding more elven races makes much sense (or adding any more races at all actually)
I imagine the game will have its drows quite naturally after civilizations' development during the worldgen starts to affect and be affected by political situation, choice of allies and enemies, environment, gods and rulers. Once it's all in play, we can easily see an elven civilization being taken over by a demon cockroach, shifting ethics accordingly, losing a war with other civs and fleeing/being exiled underground. Cockroach drows anyone?
Pages: [1] 2