Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tabletop Simulator - Any board game you can imagine, Now With Physics™  (Read 4733 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile

That still doesn't change the fact that they can't go after the software really, they can go after someone making a mod or a commercial game avalible as a mod, but I think going after the program itself is a huge stretch. Games workshop tried that with vassal because of the 40k module someone ELSE made some time ago and it bounced back just fine.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 03:09:23 pm by Janet »
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

This might be the thing that finally destroys all the other online tabletop programs.
I doubt it. Anything physics-based is going to have too complex of controls for some people, and anything that requires money is going to lose customers to those who prefer the free stuff.

Copyright lawyer says otherwise. Good luck with that. Some boardgame makers/publishers are okay with derivative work and some will boot you upside the head with a lawsuit.
Indeed.

That still doesn't change the fact that they can't go after the software really, they can go after someone making a mod or a commercial game avalible as a mod, but I think going after the program itself is a huge stretch. Games workshop tried that with vassal because of the 40k module someone ELSE made some time ago and it bounced back just fine.
And if there's enough controversy, the whole feature won't be scrapped to stop drawing fire?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looks awesome!

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools

I am not a lawyer, so don't take this as legal advice. This is only based on my observations of the game industry.

Even if there were a way to reliably enforce patents on game mechanics, Tabletop Simulator doesn't come with many mechanics other than the physics engine. Anyone playing Risk on the board would be doing so would need to get the rules from a source other than the Tabletop Simulator, the kicker being that they would likely get the rules directly from the makers of Risk. Heck, you can Google "Risk Rules" and the first thing that comes up is the rule book from Hasbro itself. For free.

As for copyrights and trademarks themselves, suing a developer for fan made content has legal precedent in the favor of the developers every time. It's never worked and it never will work. The only people they could reasonably sue are the distributors, but even then they'd have a hard time doing it for practically no gain.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Chronomancer

• Bay Watcher
  • save.us_Y2J
    • View Profile

YES I CAN NOW PLAY BATTLE CHESS WITH MY FRIENDS
I LOST THE GAME

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile

I have to wonder what the purpose of the physics is.

I can only see two outcomes:

1. someone gets mad and flips the board (or throws pieces, or whatever) and ruins it for everyone. Not a big deal in a 1v1 game (since they could just quit) but in a larger game they could ruin everyone's fun. You're pretty much limited to only playing with friends.

2. someone accidentally throws/drops a piece or the dice or flips the table or something and messes everything up.

I don't really see any upside, it's the sort of thing that would be fun for 5 minutes then you remember how much rolling 20d6  and adding them up every time you cast a fireball sucked.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile

I have to wonder what the purpose of the physics is.

I can only see two outcomes:

1. someone gets mad and flips the board (or throws pieces, or whatever) and ruins it for everyone. Not a big deal in a 1v1 game (since they could just quit) but in a larger game they could ruin everyone's fun. You're pretty much limited to only playing with friends.

2. someone accidentally throws/drops a piece or the dice or flips the table or something and messes everything up.

I don't really see any upside, it's the sort of thing that would be fun for 5 minutes then you remember how much rolling 20d6  and adding them up every time you cast a fireball sucked.

This might sound illogical to you, but some people like to feel like they're playing a boardgame. The ability to pick up and place your piece, to actually throw the dice... it's because the feeling of making the actions manually is really satisfying.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was so mad when I saw this Kickstarter; it's an idea that I've had for years! Still, it looks to be really well done, and definitely a niche that needed to be filled.

Flipping the table should definitely be possible, though. What'd the fun be without that?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile

As long as there's save-states and piece/furniture locking it should be fine. I can't see too many actual advantages of the system for "normal" boardgame playing compared to many others, but I can see some very inventive games coming out of this system.

I wonder how long it will take people to work out amusing physics glitches in it? Then develop game rules based on those glitches?

Or a strangely freakish 3d version of The Incredible Machine?
It's a game. Have fun.

SphincterFailure

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I was so mad when I saw this Kickstarter; it's an idea that I've had for years!

Absolutely the same thought I had; me and a buddy had even gone as far to start prototyping something and shelved it for later, now this.

Very interested to see the final product.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Search function brought up only this thread, so I hope it's okay to necro it.

So Tabletop SImulator's Workshop is pretty big now, with stuff like Gwent (From Witcher 3) being playable, and a whole host of other stuff. I got especially hyped by some of the Warhammer Games on offer. Only problem is actually finding people to play with. So if anyone's interested, here's a couple of games I allready played online and would like to play with some folk:

- Chaos in the Old World (You play as one of the Warhammer Fantasy Chaos Gods, including the Horned Rat, and try to take over world while competing with the other 4)
- Warhammer Invasion (Basically a Warhammer Fantasy tcg, races include DE, Orks, Dorfs, Empire, HE and a host of neutral factions like Skaven, Lizardmen, Undead and WE. Easy to pick up if you just play with the starter deck. Building one of your own can take some time tough.)
- Space Hulk / Space Crusader
- Death Watch
- WoW Boardgame (Really expansive but relatively easy to pick up. A game can take a while tough, so you'll probably have to split sessions.)
- WoW tcg.

Also some more classic stuff like Risk, Magic the Gathering or (Hillariously popular and I dont even know why) Yu-Gi-Oh! There's also lesser known stuff like a Game of Thrones Boardgame or Lords of Waterdeep. I played a couple of those as well and can explain the rules for those interested but uninitiated.

If anyone's interested, I'll gladly PM them my steam ID.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There should be a combat mode where you can start fights with other players.
Pages: 1 [2]