Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 43

Author Topic: The Cloud - One Small Step...  (Read 41223 times)

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
Re: The Cloud - Introduction
« Reply #315 on: April 25, 2014, 08:14:57 pm »

What do we need to make bodies?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 25, 2014, 08:15:45 pm »

((You can design your own, or you can consult the catalog which I shall be editing in within 5 minutes...))
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 25, 2014, 08:36:53 pm »

((That was not a roll. It's just information.))
((Ah, I see. Another question, if I stay on the ship while they go down will I have plenty to do, or will my character be essentially useless for that time? Cause it sees some stuff on the ship needs doing but I'm not sure if that's the kind of game you're trying to write.))
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 25, 2014, 10:13:04 pm »

((How does designing a body template work?))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 25, 2014, 11:09:25 pm »

The ship can put itself in geostationary orbit so that you can communicate freely with the landing. I don't think it's necessary to go on the ship at all.

Unless, of course, you plan to salvage the remains of the orbital battle. FINAL EDIT: You will have a 1.2 hour window at your current 100km orbit. After that, your ship crosses the horizon and you lose contact for 2.4 hours.

((How does designing a body template work?))

No body templates, anything you make using the ship's factory can be built again. You only have to do a design roll once (that's where the engineering skill comes into play).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 12:03:48 am by _DivideByZero_ »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 26, 2014, 12:26:06 am »

Alright, so I finalized the horizon calculations. Here is basically the information you need to know to make a decision.

-If you wish to stick around to salvage remains after the orbital battle, you will have to stay in current orbit.
-If you go to geostationary orbit, you do not need to board Wasp (From now on, boarding means bringing your lifepods onboard. Loading bodies onto it is a different matter.) in order to control it at all times.
-If you stay in the current 100 km orbit, you will have 1.2 hour windows in which you can communicate with the ground team, followed by 2.4 hour periods in which you lose contact. Each turn can range from a few minutes to half an hour.
-Wasp can be remote-controlled and mining rigs are deployed automatically.
-There are unidentified mining sites on the surface. You can land almost anywhere on the moon due to its smooth surface, so you can choose to land near them or not. Your rovers can interact with them.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 26, 2014, 03:50:41 am »

-So I guess we manufacture some bodies, go to geostationary, load the bodies and rovers onto Wasp, and land? That seems to be the most reasonable course to me. I know some electronics, but if somebody can manufacture stuff better than me, please, have at it.

A thought occurs to Anton. He focuses.

-Computer. How about a game of Minesweeper?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 26, 2014, 10:53:32 am »

I meant how does the system of designing new body types work?

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 26, 2014, 12:58:09 pm »

-So I guess we manufacture some bodies, go to geostationary, load the bodies and rovers onto Wasp, and land? That seems to be the most reasonable course to me. I know some electronics, but if somebody can manufacture stuff better than me, please, have at it.

A thought occurs to Anton. He focuses.

-Computer. How about a game of Minesweeper?
"Sounds agreeable to me, but lets stay in current orbit for now, to keep the battle in sight. Then we can transition to geostationary after both production and scavenging. I'm more into chemical and biological sciences, and would prefer to work in those fields, but if nobody else is interested in manufacture I could do it."
My Area

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 26, 2014, 01:08:01 pm »

- Guys, guys, I know I should be obnoxiously abusive by now, but get it right, please. All I can do is to hold a gun and fire it. Maybe I should learn to do something else for further usage, but by now maybe you could produce some kind of soldier-body? Just, like, I'm not quite happy that we are only a bit more than a bunch of vegetables floating in space.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 26, 2014, 01:23:21 pm »

I meant how does the system of designing new body types work?

You don't because there are no attributes for bodies and the damage system is chunky salsa for non-space battles.

You can do the following, for example:

Build the following using the ship's factory:
-Engineer class body with titanium structure instead of aluminum and plastic
-Steel armor plating around the head and chest
-Stronger servos for the arms and legs

Then I would deduct additional circuits for the servos, additional steel for the armor, and additional titanium but less aluminum and voxels for the structure. For combat , it would likely be stronger if heavier and clumsier.

COMBAT REPORT:

Pirate Battleship fired 4 times for 15 total damage with CO2 Laser Turret. Neutral Cargo Shipper takes 9 damage to armor due to distance.
Neutral Cargo Shipper launched 2 Long Range Missiles. Because the Pirate Battleship already fired, it was unable to intercept them. Pirate Battleship takes 16 damage to engines.

Proximity Log Updated!

Einstein's Cross, Low Orbit, Titan
Friday, Feb 6th, 2398
20:32 GMT

DATABANK

Spoiler: Proximity (click to show/hide)

Samarkand AKA Felicia Hasting
Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cloud Status (click to show/hide)

You discover that each individual hydroponics stand is isolated from the others and has its own nutrient feed and water pumps. If that is the case, you wonder just how the disease has spread. Whatever the disease is, it has to be able to spread through airborne vectors. This suggests either insects, fungus, or mold of some sort.

[6] Your options are limited without being able to distribute medication with the automated systems. You could change the atmosphere inside the room to try and kill the disease, if that doesn't also destroy the plants.

The seeds are stored in airtight containers within one of the closets. Nothing should be able to penetrate the containers.

The Froggy Ninja AKA David "Dave" Steel

[5] You do some poking around the ship's factory system and become well-acquainted with it.

Engineer skill improved!

Remember that there is a nonfunctional rover onboard Wasp. You don't have any circuits right now, but if you reverse-engineer the rover you can scrap it for parts and learn how to build a new one in the future. Alternatively, you can repair it.
Cost of repairing: 3000 Voxels
Resources gained from Scrapping: 400 Voxels, 100 Circuits

Avis-Mergulus AKA Anton "Tosha" Teremnoi

The computer can hear you, but for a machine so well-acquainted with human thoughts, it doesn't seem to have thoughts of its own.

Searching "Minesweeper"... found!
Loading games...
Running Minesweeper.exe...

Comrade P. AKA Hamilton Teromo

Alas, if only you had the electronic components needed to build a body with. Until you find some that you can re-purpose, your only option is cannibalizing existing devices onboard the ship.

At least Copied-Hamilton has a body composed of Cloud... he could probably be very useful if the ship were to get invaded.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 26, 2014, 01:33:09 pm »

"Computer: Recalculate battle odds based off of us joining on the side of the Cargo Shipper. Additionally, turn on any UV based sterilization system in the airducts leading to the hydroponics station. Possible airborne biological contaminant."
My Area

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 26, 2014, 01:37:45 pm »

"Computer: Recalculate battle odds based off of us joining on the side of the Cargo Shipper. Additionally, turn on any UV based sterilization system in the airducts leading to the hydroponics station. Possible airborne biological contaminant."

Simulated Conflict:
-1x Pirate Battleship (10% Success Probability)
vs
-1x Neutral Cargo Shipper (85% Success Probability)
-Einstein's Cross (95% Success Probability)
PREDICTED OUTCOME: Pirate Battleship Crippled, Salvage Mission Successful

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 26, 2014, 01:41:02 pm »

"Unless any object, lets get this salvage mission started. I'll let someone else pilot, I need to keep working on the hydroponics issue."

Since the computer didn't respond to my UV sterilization request, try to manually get that system operating, if one is available. After than, inspect leaves of plants to identify disease vector.
My Area

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 26, 2014, 01:46:30 pm »

((Why doesn't my engineering skill have a definition?))
I cannibalize the thing as well as draw up plans for an Engineer Class body but with speakers that can produce a much larger range of volumes and frequencies. Also it has laser arm pew-pew guns.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 43