Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 193

Author Topic: Banter Thread  (Read 381034 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Banter Thread
« Reply #2475 on: January 30, 2021, 10:31:33 pm »

Y'all really gotta read the Notable Games Archive. 1. 2.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: January 31, 2021, 01:48:25 pm »

Notable games thread has some gems in it, to be sure.

As for cults, they are one of the basic scum teams that can show up in my Supernatural games. Pretty sure they've had a good game or two in that series, though I'd have to look back through them to remember which ones.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: January 31, 2021, 01:53:13 pm »

My personal favorite supernatural was the dark magus one.

Though people never did explain to me what an illusionist actually did.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: January 31, 2021, 02:18:27 pm »

So I'm just curious, but can anyone give me an example of a game where cult was done well? Cult has this reputation of being terribly unbalanced, but I'm sure some good games have come out of it, otherwise the idea wouldn't be so well-known.

Cult Mafia and Supernatural Mafia Round 3 come to mind for pretty decent cult games.

Looking back at those games and my comments in them, I think Cult Mafia was cult flavored, but in that game there were a few townies who identified who the cult leader was but couldn't clutch out the lynch. In Supernatural 3 there was a decent amount of power against the cult, but they had a literally perfect night game (they converted the SK on N1 and converted or eliminated players who got guilty results against them on N2).
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: January 31, 2021, 02:38:01 pm »

Cults are a hard balancing act. Cults increase in power fast, and typically outstrip the Town in terms of fighting capacity fast, and then it gets down to a very one-sided endgame. A Mafia goes removes a player from the Town. A Cult removes a player and adds a team member. It's a bad thing to balance.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: January 31, 2021, 06:38:58 pm »

My personal favorite supernatural was the dark magus one.
Though people never did explain to me what an illusionist actually did.
That is also my favorite Supernatural. The conversion was just a one-shot which seems more fair.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: February 02, 2021, 09:58:59 pm »

I've POE'd Hector. I'll go into it more when I'm awake. I'm half expecting Superdorf not to disappear when d4 rolls around, but I think we can afford to give him benefit of the doubt for today. There was something else I was going to respond to but I'm sleepy and it can wait till the morning. Sorry for whatever I might have missed

Superdorf

Y'all remembered me :))
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: February 02, 2021, 10:01:12 pm »

I've POE'd Hector. I'll go into it more when I'm awake. I'm half expecting Superdorf not to disappear when d4 rolls around, but I think we can afford to give him benefit of the doubt for today. There was something else I was going to respond to but I'm sleepy and it can wait till the morning. Sorry for whatever I might have missed

Superdorf

'Course we do!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: February 02, 2021, 10:01:17 pm »

Superdorf
IronyOwl also voted you on Day 5.

I mean Luckyowl.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: February 03, 2021, 03:36:50 am »

Clearly so! I also had to stop myself from using the abbreviation "SD' multiple times during that game as it would also apply to SHAD0Wdump.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: February 03, 2021, 09:09:46 am »

TM does as well, technically.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: February 05, 2021, 09:01:35 am »

[something about the NGA]

The Notable Games Archive probably has reduced my eyesight and sanity at least a little bit. :P

Hey, I've just been thinking about you!! I'm so happy to see you. Congratulations on your marriage!

Thank you! ^.^

Hey TolyK.

Just random thoughts. I might join a game sometime after "the crazy period".  ;D
Cool. Bay12 will be known as a mafia forum by 2030.

I was thinking more in terms of a month rather than a decade...

Congrats and hello TolyK!  Stick around and see what's going on.

I will also join on congrats as well, though we all know where your true love is...   :P

:-*

I had to reread that game... I was a town poisoner, and it was hilarious how Tiruin was right for all the wrong reasons.

A part of me wonders how compatible mafia is with things like adult life and a career. Ideally, you'd put in quite a heavy amount of time into mafia. I'm a lonely college student so I can do that, but can you do this while raising a family or having a marriage? I wonder if TolyK has any thoughts on that?

If such were the case, it would be inevitable for a new generation to take over.
I think it's totaly compatible with adult life, like most things. But a lot of my "adult" life seems to be doing many different things that all require time. Your (future) significant other(s?) might "take" some time (that, ideally, you both enjoy :P), your job takes a lot of time (depending on how productive you are at work :P), other things like friends and solo hobbies take time. Also, sleep should take time, big QoL thing there...

Everything's compatible with adult life. That's the real secret.
Exactly. Though the real real secret is probably learning to do the most-impactful things first, rather than easiest-at-the-moment (e.g. scrolling twitter/reddit/facebook/youtube/whatever, which I'm a big guilty of).
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: February 05, 2021, 09:11:42 am »

I was just reading through the role list for that game, seeing all the various types of wizards, and suddenly Urist Imiknorris is the grand wizard of the KKK.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: February 05, 2021, 01:22:59 pm »

That's a 'excuse me how did you get away with that' moment if I've ever seen one.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: February 05, 2021, 01:57:19 pm »

Though most of my games are open or semi-open, I've been working on a closed-setup I'm calling Nomic Bastard Mafia in which there are additional hidden rules, some of which begin distributed among the players. It's ready to play (as is the CYOM Redux) but alas I'm too busy right now and there's already games in the queue!
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 193