Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: V.4i - Frozen Kobold Challenge  (Read 8038 times)

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
V.4i - Frozen Kobold Challenge
« on: March 06, 2014, 12:40:41 pm »

Yo...
After my previous two fortresses(here and here, I already have planned my next challenge...

If you just wanna read the rules of the new challenge, skip the text, and read only the red part.

So after I read, that my playstyle was characterized by 2 men squads, I was deeply hurt *sob* and decided to make something, that shows that I can also play differently... Well... not sure I can, but at least I can try. :D So this brings us the first rule.
- no 2 men squads (squads should be filled, usually)
Then to be honest I also ran out of ideas, what to do with dwarves, and honestly, MWDF has much more... Oh, and I finally need something else... Also, unlike in my last challenges, where I was basically in command of the game, I actually want to recreate that feeling, everyone had, when he played DF first... That the game is playing the player, not the other way around... So I decided to play a race, I have not played before:
- the used race are Kobolds
Honestly, I have no idea how they will play. I have read some stuff, of course, but if things really work like I imagined... :D
Now Kobolds certainly have a bit unique relationship to all the other races. This means, we need ALL MWDF races, so they can properly retaliate. Wouldn't be fun, if they couldn't, would it? At the same time, I will disable the Fortress Defense races. There is imho no point in having >30 races alive... The game can't trigger that many attacks at the same time anyway, and often, like last time, you end up with the same cheap (Tigermen anyone?) enemies all the time, instead of getting some more fun ones. Oh, and honestly, Kobolds suck anyway in fights :D
- all MWDF races (including dark twins), but no Fortress Defense races
But yeah... I guess you ask yourself, what is so difficult about it, until now... Well... let's start ramping up the difficulty...  As it was probably unavoidble, when you clicked this thread, the biome will not be as nice as it was in my last forts...
- embark location is a 2x2 flat glacier, without any caves! everything else standard settings
Yeah, I know, Kobolds can't dig, and there is no water, and Kobolds want to drink... Yeah, that may be a problem, but problems are what makes life fun... Well... until you die of thirst... Whatever... We will make it work. Oh, and there is no wood on a glacier... Hmmm we surely didn't need that anyway, did we?
Sadly Kobolds are totally disorganized, and surely not able to do anything in an efficient manner... To represent this, we will add another rule...
- every adult Kobold has all labors active all the time (only exception are the mining/lumberjack/hunter, as they can't be active at the same time)
Yeah... well... This surely prevents any high skills on my Kobolds, but as certain people have shown us in Cathedral (Hi meph), it can also work out.
Anyway, surely the game is still fairly easy with these rules... (unless you die of thirst :D) So... I thought what made my last two above ground forts so easy... Well... it was the possibility, even above ground, to channel invaders, where you want them, and then squash them, or shoot them with arrows from somewhere above, while all the civilians sit inside and do not even notice the invaders. Guess we have to make a rule for that then... How about:
- no burrows or trafficzones
No civilian alerts already will surely increase the losses... But yeah... that wasn't the rule, I was really talking about... How about this:
- no path blocking structures (aka walls, raised drawbridges, doors, hatches,bars, grates, fortifications etc)
Oups... This suddenly makes things quite difficult... Especially when unable to dig properly... Sure, you could just skyfortress on a single stair, and be mostly safe, but that would be kinda exploiting my own rules, and I have no intention doing this...
Of course I can still build workshops etc that have unpathable tiles, but i certainly won't build walls out of jewelers workshops....
In general, I use the usual 'no boring exploits' rules as usual.
I generally intend to make some more, less strict rules, which may limit efficiency even further, but feel nice storywise, while playing the game...

---

So all in all, what do we have here...
We have a bunch of disorganized Kobolds, that are terrible at fighting, completely unprotected on a wide open glacier, which means that every little thief and every ambush probably causes a huge panic. Oh, and when they do not get eaten alive, they die of thirst.
Sounds awesome! Let's see how far we can make it :D

PS:
Okay.... I admit it... I already have an idea, how not to die of thirst... if it actually works.... no clue
PS2: if you think 'TRADING', you are wrong... Actually I do not really like trading in DF in general (yeah, sorry guys...) and do not intend to rely on it too much during the whole thing

---

Sooooooooooooo...
Now that I shared my new plans of madness with you, there are two simple questions:
a) Any comments, suggestions, requests? I don't need comments, how to ' solve' the problems, keep those ideas for b). It is more about the rules in general, if there is anything you want to see added or changed etc.
b) Anyone dares to make another fort on those rules? It is not about who lives longer, but more the fun and the challenge... See different approaches, and see fun stories to develop. So in general I would say, that story and fun is way more important then survival. No point in posting a screenshot, that you are in year 37 of your fortress, without telling all the stuff that happened ^^

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: V.4i - Frozen Kobold Challenge
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 12:45:44 pm »

Comments: You ate insane. Get druids asap. Maybe embark with more than just 7 bolds. Get more druids. And trading? haha, all races are hostile towards you
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 12:54:47 pm »

Comments: You ate insane. Get druids asap. Maybe embark with more than just 7 bolds. Get more druids. And trading? haha, all races are hostile towards you

druuuuids? Hmmm... I may try that... But didn't think of them :D Still, a few in the mix certainly won't be bad ^^
And I though I could still trade, even with hostile civs... Oh... and how about my home civ?
Tribal Meeting Ground: Call caravans, diplomats, migrants or willingly start sieges.  <<< that certainly sounds like trading is possible :D
But as i said... not planning much on it anyway... So who cares :D

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 01:05:14 pm »

No liquid water, barely if any drink-crops, blood freezing too fast to make wine- I second the insanity accusation, you've clearly lost it.

Watching. :o
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

razorback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 01:13:24 pm »

Sounds really hard - nice  :D

To make it even a little more extravagant I claim an owl-sign bold as a leader of an shortbow wielding squad of kestrel-signs  8)

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 01:23:42 pm »

Sounds really hard - nice  :D

To make it even a little more extravagant I claim an owl-sign bold as a leader of an shortbow wielding squad of kestrel-signs  8)
I'm afraid I can't do that. I haven't decided yet about Koboldings (let's call it like that) as there won't be such dedicated tasks... Kobolds are not organized... :D I do not even intend to have some dedicated militia to start with...

Right now I see only 3 options
a) no named Bolds
b) Bolds, get names as a sort of title, after they have achieved something and deserve that title... (Like every Bold that gets 10 kills, gets named)
c) I give names to random bolds, which most likely randomly die a week later or are never seen again...

@LMeire
Because you almost scared me.... I quickly tried it in a testembark... No problem :)
How?  Well... :D

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 02:13:43 pm »

This is a terrible idea. I love it!
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 03:45:59 pm »

I've done glacier kobold embarks a few times, back when they could dig ice with shovels. That was pretty fun. Watch out for forest spiders, thats how my glacier kobolds fort died the last two times. I'm guessing you're going for bloodwine made from jack rats as primary sustenance? That should work once you get past the first two seasons. I might actually start a fort like this myself, as walless above-ground embarks are always fun. Plus kobolds are ALWAYS fun. Is building above the ground allowed if you keep it easily accessible from the ground? I understand that one access-only skyforts are cheaty, but having a ton of stair-entries in unsafe places seems like it would be less exploit.  Also, what will happen if you get a pick? Also, you can engrave minecart tracks on ice, which could be interesting, given what happened at Becordobar. I second Mephs idea of starting with more then 7 bolds, that should help quite a bit in the first two seasons before you get a reliable food source. Also: PTW.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

CptCrunchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 03:56:54 pm »

Can bolds get PHM? That would be an interesting fort

Watching the hell out of this
Likes nether horror for their ability to turn people into eldritch horrors. Seriously, what is wrong with that dwarf.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 05:45:18 pm »

I'd like to be bolded as a viper or badger-sign kobold, preferably warband martial or leader, but any military will do.

bolded is the right word, right? :P
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 05:49:36 pm »

I'd like to be bolded as a viper or badger-sign kobold, preferably warband martial or leader, but any military will do.

bolded is the right word, right? :P

I'm afraid I can't do that. I haven't decided yet about Koboldings (let's call it like that) as there won't be such dedicated tasks... Kobolds are not organized... :D I do not even intend to have some dedicated militia to start with...

Right now I see only 3 options
a) no named Bolds
b) Bolds, get names as a sort of title, after they have achieved something and deserve that title... (Like every Bold that gets 10 kills, gets named)
c) I give names to random bolds, which most likely randomly die a week later or are never seen again...
Bolded is the right word for this though.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Vabalokis

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McKneeGrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 08:07:38 pm »

i love your lps but too bad you picked race i like the least

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 08:15:42 pm »

Can bolds get PHM? That would be an interesting fort

Watching the hell out of this

PHM "meat" is actually plant matter, so kobolds shouldn't be able to eat them.  And the only drink you can get from them is alcohol, so... well it should at least keep them from dying of thirst.

Stormbuilder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 09:07:46 pm »

You are mad! Mad, I say!

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 09:17:41 pm »

This sounds interesting.  I've never given the bolds a chance and your games tend to give me inspiration for things to try.  I hereby request that a military squad be named after me and that the leader of that military squad always be named Kamikazi-prime.  That way when they all get slaughtered in battle renaming is not an issue.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6