Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 98

Author Topic: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix  (Read 210838 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix
« Reply #1290 on: April 06, 2019, 05:54:41 pm »

Varies a lot depending on what I'm fighting, really. But my default is 6 shieldmen up front with a standard bearer in the back and a mix of polearms and archers.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: April 06, 2019, 07:00:57 pm »

Is there any lategame use for javelineers?

Also, what am I looking for in two-handers? Pure DPS?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: April 06, 2019, 08:54:02 pm »

My lategame squad is as follows
Front line - 2 heavy tanky shield bros on the flanks, 5 bros with TH weapons.
Back line - banner bearer and 4 archers who switch to longaxes when fighting ancient dead or orc warriors.

Also, what am I looking for in two-handers? Pure DPS?
Attacking several enemies at once, breaking shields and dealing large amounts of damage.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 08:55:56 pm by wereboar »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: April 08, 2019, 06:18:31 pm »

How the hell do you get/afford the 200+ armors??? I'm into my first crisis (noble war) although nothing is happening but im still mostly 110-145 armor, and let's not even get started on helmets and weapons.

EDIT: I see people talking about having 10k+... honestly I do not know how to make that much money. Trade seems... only mildly profitable.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 07:11:04 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: April 08, 2019, 07:44:16 pm »

Trade is quite profitable if done right. The basics are that prices (both sell and buy) are low in small villages but high in large cities. Also high rep makes your prices (both sell and buy) better. So you go around a few small villages doing contracts then buying trade goods after. Then you go to a large city, do all their contracts, then sell off your trade goods. Rinse and repeat.

That being said, trade is hardly the main way to make money. Another important thing for the economy game is armor scavenging. Armor is more likely to drop if it's undamaged, so you want to try to kill people with out destroying their armor. The two main ways you can do this are with daggers and flails. Daggers can use their puncture ability to ignore armor completely. Flails can use their lash skill to hit the head, you'll still destroy the helmet but you'll get the more valuable body armor.

Lastly, sometimes you just need to take harder fights and contracts to make more money. Crisis are a great time to make lots of cash if your company can handle it.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

cider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: April 09, 2019, 12:44:43 pm »

Just picked this up (now that I finally have a windows laptop). I am having a wonderful time managing my band of mercenaries.

I am a bit curious, what do your guys' compositions look like? Right now I have 5 shieldbros supported by two pole arm users on the outside. The backline is filled out by javelineers and a bannerman.

Still haven't really decided on composition this run. Right now I've got six shieldbros in front - all wielding comparatively heavy armor and mixed weaponry. They're flanked by an absurdly effective bro wielding a greataxe. The backline consists of two polearm bros (one of which is the standard bearer) and three crossbowmen. The greataxe guy and the crossbowmen do most of the killing.

How the hell do you get/afford the 200+ armors??? I'm into my first crisis (noble war) although nothing is happening but im still mostly 110-145 armor, and let's not even get started on helmets and weapons.

EDIT: I see people talking about having 10k+... honestly I do not know how to make that much money. Trade seems... only mildly profitable.

I get stuff from scavenging, mostly. Sometimes I'll find an affordable piece in shops as well. Still, what you have sounds pretty normal for a first playthrough, especially if you haven't been looking at guides etc. I had pretty much the same stuff when I first played, I think.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: April 10, 2019, 09:21:07 am »

As far as I know, there's a strategy which involves swarming heavily armoured enemies with knife-fighters, in order to pierce the armour as much as possible and kill the guy without damaging their gear too much. And that, in theory, allows you to scavenge those precious items. For sale or otherwise.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: April 10, 2019, 09:22:48 am »

Daggers and nets are the best way, and early on for general killing armored enemies too
  Daggers do almost no armor damage and huge health on puncture attacks.

Other than that its really hard to get good armor
Shoes...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: April 10, 2019, 09:50:50 am »

Yeah, dagger secondaries on all frontline warriors and some backline if you have space for them.

I find for the early game flails are your best bet for getting chain armor. Brigands often wear little or no head protection and are prim candidates for lashing. If you never hit the armor you have a good chance of getting it as loot after the battle. An early flail master or two can really help outfit your team in decent armor, though having flail mastery later on isn't quite as good as other masterys. Still not terrible, and worth it in my opinion for the early survibility boost.

Later on fails don't work as well, though it still can if you dedicatedly smash through helmets. Daggers are better, and actually having a dagger master with quick hands can be quite handy for prying someone out of good armor. Just don't rely on daggers as a primary weapon, it rarely works out well in my experience, even if built out properly.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: April 10, 2019, 11:02:19 am »

Too bad most end game enemies don't (mostly) generate usable equipment. Ents and worms drop no usable loot, orcs and undead usually drop shitty equipment. AFAIK you can only craft armor attachments and shields from monster parts too, not whole new armor? Lindwurm armor would be pretty dope. Or the classic wearing-head-of-a-monster-as-a-helmet.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: April 10, 2019, 11:34:55 am »

There actually is a Lindworm helmet, though AFAIK it's just a particular cosmetic variation of famed helmets (and I think it always has the immune to acid attribute), you can't actually make it from Lindworm drops.

Whole armor would be quite cool, but the shields are the best non-famed shields in the game. And the weapons dropped by both orcs and undead can definitely be worth using. Orcs drop the highest damage weapons in the game (and they can come as famed items, which can get disgustingly powerful with good rolls). 

Also hedge knights and noble knights definitely drop good equipment.

Though yeah, you become much more reliant on buying your equipment in the late game.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: April 10, 2019, 11:38:06 am »

Aren't the orcish weapons very fatiguing to use? So the fatigue-to-damage rate is bad, even if the damage itself is high, especially as the fatigue cost increases with each strike? Regarding weapons, the goblin heavy crossbow is pretty good though.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: April 10, 2019, 11:41:45 am »

Orcish weapons do indeed take more fatigue. You really kind of need a high fatigue bro with Iron Lungs to use them for long, though with Mastery in the weapon type you can use them for a short while on any bro. And they hit hard enough you often don't need to use them for long.

For good armor late game about the only place you'll get much of it from battle will be other mercenaries and noble companies. Noble Crisis is good for getting usable gear, though I find that tools become a very scarce resource quickly in that crisis as you're limited in movement if you pick sides and tend to have more gear you'd like to be using then you have the tools to repair up. That, with the wear and tear of constant battles can mean you're left scrounging for usable gear as much as good gear if you're not careful.

I find the Noble crisis to be very challenging, but also a lot of fun.
Come play Mafia with us!

cider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: April 10, 2019, 01:42:52 pm »

Orcish weapons are interesting and can often be quite fun (if not effective) to use. I put the man splitter in the hands of a bro with Huge and Drunkard and watched the carnage unfold. Now those traits aren't good, but they can sure be fun. His damage was 108-145.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1304 on: April 10, 2019, 01:56:14 pm »

Spiked Impalers are really fun, even if those are Goblin weapons.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 98