Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 98

Author Topic: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix  (Read 210971 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix
« Reply #1050 on: September 12, 2018, 09:48:01 pm »

Well, I think I'm starting to get a handle on things.

My current company, the Black Wings, has lived longer than any other of mine by far. We're at day 30 now, and still alive. Though trying to recover from losing most of the company to a swarm of 15 Nachzehrers. We barely managed to survive through the efforts of my pikemen. And by we I mean...my pikemen lived, along with a grunt shieldman and an archer who lived but with permanent injuries. Fortunately I had two shieldmen in reserves (1 injured, 1 with a permanent collapsed lung who I was only keeping for this exact type of emergency).

So I go back to town, get paid, and promptly hire all three guys available. A boyer, poacher, and daylaborer. Not terrible pickups, all things considered. We equip them up and grab the only available job, to go get an artifact from bandits. That fight is a little tough, but we manage with 1 death to a Raider marksmen. After getting the artifact we get an offer to sell it to the guys who hired the bandits. I take them up on it, since we badly need funds.

So...we're trying to recover. We have almost no armor left for our front line and only half the mercs have any levels. But we have about 2k crowns and enough supplies to go hunt for doable contracts.

Might be doomed, might not. But I'm happy that I seem to 'get' how to do things now.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: September 12, 2018, 09:54:19 pm »

Nachzehrers are very cool enemies as they can be really easy or really tough based on how you conduct the battle. If you come up with the right tactics they'll be a cakewalk.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: September 12, 2018, 09:56:48 pm »

Yeah, I've fought them quite a few times. Normally it goes well, but we had a bad tactical situation at the start where they were able to get the high ground on some of us. And with so many once there was a hole they just sort of swarmed around us as I tried to maneuver to a decent position to fight.

Update: Well, the Black Wings are finally dead. Attrition caught up with us, as the new recruits were just too under-leveled and under-equipped to handle the tougher engagements so we kept losing people. And their gear. In the end we were broke and I took a job to hunt raiders that I knew was probably too tough for us, but it was a do-or-die moment. So we tried, and we died. Made a good showing of it, at least.

Still, got to day 40 or so and I'm feeling much more confident in my ability to handle things now.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 11:23:39 am by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: September 14, 2018, 09:51:56 am »

Slight double-post but if anyone is interested I am starting up an LP of Battle Brothers
Come play Mafia with us!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: September 20, 2018, 10:45:23 am »

Hooooo boy, the hype from me for the next DLC is incalculable. After Lindwurm I thought they were done, so having a metric asston of new creatures to get killed by kill and getting a crafting and armor customization system added in is...hnnnnngggggggg

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: September 20, 2018, 11:10:19 am »

Yeah, really looking forward to the expansion!
Come play Mafia with us!

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: September 20, 2018, 11:13:27 am »

I very much enjoyed the base game. I never gave the game a whirl after the Lindwurm freelc, but I'll definitely be diving back in with the new content. I'm glad they changed their minds and decided to develop DLC for it.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: September 21, 2018, 02:58:06 am »

Need someone to ease or confirm my fears.

I got up to my second disaster and had some very high level people with high level gear, and it just felt like I had nothing left to do. I could comfortably ignore any contracts with too high a price as I trickle money in. So basically I was playing just to occasionally fight something new that I could kill easily while I wait for the towns to get destroyed until I don't have enough towns to buy food and everyone breaks from starvation.

Is there some deeper end game other than kill stuff until the world ends?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: September 21, 2018, 03:51:05 am »

Not really, if you're going after easy fights.
I usually get my guys to where I want them and then haul off to attack an orc city.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: September 22, 2018, 08:34:16 am »

There is a couple high end enemy dwellings that you can raid as a good bit of a end game challenge. Specifically the goblin fortress and the black monolith, both of which can be found deep into greenskin territory.

Other than that, yeah, late game is pretty lacking at the moment. I typically stop playing after the 2nd or 3rd crisis.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

cider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: September 22, 2018, 09:30:23 am »

Hooooo boy, the hype from me for the next DLC is incalculable. After Lindwurm I thought they were done, so having a metric asston of new creatures to get killed by kill and getting a crafting and armor customization system added in is...hnnnnngggggggg

Holy shit, I had no idea a new DLC was in the making! Great news, and it seems to be right up my alley as well.

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: September 23, 2018, 12:40:23 am »

Have they not added female playable characters yet?
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: September 23, 2018, 04:20:35 am »

This was something I've been watching and waiting (extremely disappointedly) for. :-\ Apparently despite their promise and mention waaaaaay back, it doesn't seem (to me) like they're doing it.

Something something about them in another game or DLC or whatever though. This post is soured by my mood on that note. :-[

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: September 23, 2018, 04:21:24 am »

Uhh, I'm pretty sure women didn't exist in dark ages Germany...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: September 23, 2018, 04:37:06 am »

Uhh, I'm pretty sure women didn't exist in dark ages Germany...
Kagus, your wording can be broken out of context here :P

And hum! This game was based on realism? Didn't know that :v (I sorely wish games basing themselves on realism also acknowledge that women did fight and take other roles not conforming to the gender roles of the time, but much isn't in public knowledge as far as I'm seeing)
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 98