Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 98

Author Topic: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix  (Read 210934 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix
« Reply #1065 on: September 23, 2018, 04:47:09 am »

My wording was specific and intentional. That was the point.

Life, uh, finds a way.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: September 24, 2018, 05:58:20 pm »

There are a number of accounts of female soldiers during the middle ages, especially those who cross-dressed and their sex discovered on their death.

Sure, it probably wasn't super common, but there is also no reason not to let players have female soldiers if they want in my opinion. Anything that makes it more fun. After all, 'realism' is a bit of a bad argument in a game where you fight necromancers and orcs.

There is a 'Battle Sisters' mod that adds them in, at least. It is minimal in what it does (just portraits, no pronoun changes or sounds), but it is something.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: September 24, 2018, 06:00:18 pm »

Hmm weren't there special unique characters to be found to be hired? So why not go that way for women. Make only a few rare female mercs available as kinda unique characters, that way you sidestep the entire "muh realism" issue since while you can argue women didn't serve regularly in combat roles, they occasionaly simply did and thus you appease all sides. Plus you can make a challenge out of getting together an all female band ^^

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: September 24, 2018, 06:24:18 pm »

As far as I remember the whole no female characters thing was more an art issue then realism, right? Something around the lines that they wanted battle sisters to have the same amount of variety as brothers if I remember right.

Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: September 24, 2018, 06:29:46 pm »

Yeah when I brought it up originally when they were developing it, it seemed to be more of an art budget issue though they were throwing the idea around.

I would love to see them in. And if people really get angry about it, just have it toggled with a checkbox, or slider on %, and then everyone can be happy.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: September 24, 2018, 07:04:08 pm »

Or, heck, let it be changeable at the barber shop like faces and bodies are already. Don't want women? Switch them to men. Want an all female band? Switch everyone to women.

Boom. Easy. And no less ridiculous than a barber giving you an entirely new face and body, which is already in the game so people can have mercs who look the way they want them to.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: September 24, 2018, 08:30:35 pm »

Hmm..
Work on an expansion adding more monsters, weapons and special events.
Or work on a merc overhaul adding female mercs in.
Tough choice, indeed.  ::)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: September 25, 2018, 04:29:25 am »

Jesus, I try and make a dumb crack inspired by stuff like "no women warriors" and "no dark-skinned people in Bohemia" by saying that there were no women in Germany (an entirely plausible scenario, I'm sure you will agree), and instead of bypassing the issue through the power of harr, it gets misinterpreted and taken seriously; thus restarting the same arguments that have been made before and that I was specifically looking to defuse.

Kronar, grant me strength...

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: September 25, 2018, 07:05:15 am »

As a german i do agree we have no women, only less bearded men.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: September 25, 2018, 08:33:54 am »

I don't think anyone took your comments seriously, Kagus, I think we were just talking about the issue in general since someone brought it up.
Come play Mafia with us!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: September 26, 2018, 07:34:09 am »

Yeah Kagus the joke was pretty good, but the topic is pretty interesting.
I’d say let women join the band, albeit maybe as a profession of its own? Then it satisfies rarity, “historical” accuracy and somewhat inclusivity.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

sokmund

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: September 26, 2018, 08:00:18 am »

Here you go my dudes, its already a thing.. i think

https://www.nexusmods.com/battlebrothers/mods/10/

Battle Sisters Mod

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: September 26, 2018, 09:59:26 am »

Yeah, I mentioned it.

It's not bad, but the game still doesn't recognize the soldiers as female. All text referring to them still uses male pronouns, and they don't sound any different in combat. And you get 1 face option, so all female soldiers look nearly identical except for hair.
Come play Mafia with us!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: September 26, 2018, 06:52:32 pm »

So I tried going bandit and raiding caravans.  I was seriously disappointed by how little the caravans carry.  If you're lucky, you might find three trade items, which I guess sell alright.  I mean, sure the fights are pretty easy, but then the noble houses sent their troops against me, and those fights are brutal.

Overall, I think just doing missions is more profitable overall.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: September 26, 2018, 08:03:33 pm »

I don't think anyone took your comments seriously, Kagus, I think we were just talking about the issue in general since someone brought it up.
I miss the point like XCOM with 99% accuracy, Kagus. :P And it took my response to be really sure you were joking when seeing your response. But yeah, I think we all just continued the tangent so people can get refreshed info on why certain things are as they are (art funding! D:)
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 98